Poll: Should I do 12 units or 10?

Thread: Should I do 12 units or 10?

ciz
    HSC
    N/A

Exclamation Should I do 12 units or 10?

Hi!

So at the moment I have twelve units which consist of English Advanced, English Extension I, Ancient History, Biology, Studies of Religion I unit, General Maths and French Beginners.

I don't know whether I should drop French or not, I've been considering it for a while but I can't make my mind up. At the moment I'm doing really well in all my other subjects with 90+ marks and really good ranks (my school has one of the largest HSC cohorts so it's a fairly good indicator of how I might go in the HSC), however in French I'm sitting at around 79% with my two assessments and as the trials approach nearer I'm starting to panic. In prelim year I was doing really well in French but I've never really put much effort into it which is something I'm regretting now as I feel with French it's something that you have to learn as you go along and is difficult to "catch up" on, especially in time for the trials and the HSC. I do enjoy learning French but the thought of having to catch up on everything I've let slip is really making me panic (the thought of having to learn all of the grammar, tenses, conjugations and everything makes me feel sick) and I feel like in order for me to get my marks up, I might be compromising my other subjects.

SO, my two options are to either keep French and the 12 units, or drop French and have ten units. My pros for keeping French would be the two unit safety net, however if this safety net will more than likely be for French anyway then what's the point in working so hard? My pros for ten units would be that I would have six study periods a week which I think I would use wisely, and less workload and stress, however that stress might be replaced with the fact that I only have ten units so everything counts.

What are your opinions?

(Sorry for the long post)

HSC

Re: Should I do 12 units or 10?

Imo, drop French. You could keep it and put in unnecessary time and effort into a sub that most likely wont count and the time you spent studying for it could be spent on maximising your chances of attaining the best possible results/perfecting for your other subs, therefore your atar. Getting hit w/ the fact that all your subs count could just make you work harder in each I guess
    2017 HSC
    sci/advstud (neuro) at University of Sydney

HSC
    N/A

Drop it. Its always better to drop a subject in my opinion. The extra time you get that you can spend on all your other subjects is too good.
    HSC 2019
    Extension 1 Mathemathics - Standard English - Engineering Sudies - Economics - Business Studies
    ATAR Aim: 92+
    Desired Course: Computer Science at UNSW

HSC
    N/A

drop to 10U, you'll thank yourself later on

HSC

If its a burden rather than a bonus then I would drop it to gain the free periods and put extra time into your other subjects. However, if you think you want to have 12 as a back up (however you shouldn't plan for an off day) then keep it, however only do this if you can improve your marks without expense of your other subjects to make it worthwhile
    HSC 2018

Advanced English - Extension 1 Maths - Chemistry - Earth & Environmental Science - Geography

Thread Information