Is my atar saveable (1 Viewer)

thatguythat

HSC
N/A
Doing well in modern and standard English
Pretty good at bio
Ok at chem
Suck at math (2Unit), 30% in all internals before trials
Is it remotely possible to get a decent internal mark in maths...
Ples respond

Robbie M

HSC
This literally doesn't help at all.
What is your predicted atar? What is your ideal atar?
What is your school ranking?
What is 'doing well', 'pretty good', 'okay' ?

thatguythat

HSC
N/A
Well I get 90%+ for standard english and modern (top ten for english and 1st for modern)
75%+ for bio(don't know specifically, but its likely top 20)
50-60% for chem (lower end of the cohort)
and maths was stated earlier (lower end of the cohort)
I don't have the specific ranks as such for them and math, but based of recent memory these should be the rough estimate
not sure about predicted star but i am aiming for high 80s/low 90s
hope that helps vaguely?

Last edited:

Nozeltov

HSC
Like Robbie said, what ATAR are you aiming for? What marks do you want? Some of your marks are good but its not very useful for us in trying to answer your question if you don't give us other helpful info :)

Good luck.

thatguythat

HSC
N/A
i am aiming for a 90 atar
i want marks for math,chemistry and bio that are at leat 80% or above while maintaining 90%+ scores for
standard english and math
not sure what other info i could offer to help to be honest

KAIO7

HSC
N/A
What's your school rank ? how many students have got a band 6 in 2u in your school ? (from 2015-2017/ a rough estimate is fine)

thatguythat

HSC
N/A
probably 4 or 5 people in the past have gotten band 6 but I'm just speculating
but our school rank is 214 in nsw

Frostguard

HSC
Your ATAR isn't in that much trouble right now, as long as you maintain those marks/ranks for English Standard/Modern (especially Eng Std since the scaling isnt that good), as for Bio, try to at least aim for them 80s since you're pretty close, do more past papers and ensure you know enough scientific terminology that will help you get those tiny extra marks. With Chemistry, those marks means you dont know the content enough or you're making silly mistakes, best way is once again, do past papers and do past questions to test and solidify your knowledge. As with Maths, 30% means you have trouble understanding mathematical concepts whether it be algebra/trigonometry/whatever it is, it means you need to force yourself to do the homework/past papers until you genuinely understand how it works so you'll go into your future maths exams with relative confidence. You're not screwed but I don't think a 90 will be easy to achieve unless you improve in maths, chem and bio and maintain english/modern history. Good Luck mate! :)

KAIO7

HSC
N/A
You have to get 80+ in 2u and 78+ in chem (to get a 90 ATAR), assuming that you get a band 6 or (or at least something close to that (around 87) in your other subjects)

I suggest forgetting about your internal marks for now and work on performing in your trials and hsc, reason for that is the internal marks are highly dependent on your rank, cohort performance and the gap between you and the people at the top. However, if you perform really well in your in your hsc, you might be able to neutralise or at least reduce the effect of your internal mark on your final hsc mark. For now, I highly advise that you study hard for the trials and try to save what can be saved in terms of your ranking for 2u and chem

Improving your marks 2u is fairly simple. What you have to do is firstly do a past paper or two to figure out your major weaknesses, and then grab a textbook thats not too difficult (Coachman & Jones or Maths in focus) and work through the exercises that cover your weaknesses. Another option would be to get a good tutor to help you close your content gaps. Another thing you could do while fixing your content is to do drills, so for example pick up some old 2u trial/ hsc papers (1995-2005) and do the first 5 questions (Q1-Q5) and keep doing that from different papers until you get full marks, then move on to q6,7 and 8 and do the same thing. By the time you're done with fixing your content and doing textbook exercises you'll also be familiar with the structure and questions of the 2u paper. Btw make sure you check the worked solutions and go through your mistakes, and re-attempt the questions you didn't get right.

When your content is fixed or close to being fixed, start doing past papers, practise as many as you can and under exam conditions, then mark your paper and go through your mistakes (THOROUGHLY).

For chem, find yourself a good set of notes and go through it, and then do questions and past papers.

It's very very important that you do not neglect your other subjects, you need to maintain your ranks and marks while fixing your weaker subjects.

It's possible to get a decent mark in both 2u and chem, you just have to work hard in an efficient and productive way. All the best!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)