Thread: Help on subjects to choose

HSC
    N/A

Help on subjects to choose

pistol with the chisel
    Last edited by buffdude68; 28 Jun 2018 at 12:53 AM.

HSC
    N/A

Re: Help on subjects to choose

Go English and Mathematics Advanced because otherwise you are setting yourself up for two years of pure boredom. Also Chemistry has absolutely ZERO relevance to architecture whereas you could probably find more relevance in physics(Also you will seriously struggle with the new syllabus for phsyics if you choose standard maths). Economics i really wouldn't waste your time doing as it is incredibly boring and useless for architecture. And seriously do not focus on the scaling for subjects. It is really easy to fall for the trap but with every subject a work ethic is required otherwise you will land yourself in the shit. Choose subjects you are interested in, stay on top of the work from the beginning (day 1, week 1, term 1) and mostly importantly ASK FOR HELP!!!

HSC

My biggest advice is to choose subjects you are good at and enjoy. Start with advanced eng and maths as you can drop but not go up
    HSC 2018

Advanced English - Extension 1 Maths - Chemistry - Earth & Environmental Science - Geography

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by buffdude68 View Post
    Is it better for me to do 6 subjects?
    It's ultimately up to you, but 10 units means less work/study, while 12 is safer if you screw up a subject.

Quote Originally Posted by buffdude68 View Post
    I'm kind of leaning towards math general as I heard it scales really well if I get over 95% compared to getting a 80 in advanced, what should I do?
    General Maths always scales poorly.

In the 2017 HSC, an HSC mark of 95 (top 1%) in General Maths was scaled down to around 85.
    But anything below the top 5% will severely impact your scaled mark.

An HSC mark of 81 in 2U Maths (top 50%) was scaled down to around 65.
    But in terms of scaling, 2U Maths is far more generous than General Maths for marks that are below the top 5%.

So if you're capable of 2U but choose Standard Maths, then you have to make sure you ace it to end up with a better mark.

https://www.uac.edu.au/assets/docume...17-NSW-HSC.pdf (p.39)

English Standard vs. Advanced is a similar scenario.

Also, some uni courses will assume or require 2U Maths, so if you choose Standard Maths and then change your mind later (say, you want to do engineering or a science), you may have to catch up.

Finally, if you're capable of extension Maths then you should seriously consider it, even if your uni course may not require it.
    Last edited by fan96; 25 Jun 2018 at 9:38 PM.
    HSC 2018: English Adv. [80] • Maths Ext. 1 [98] • Maths Ext. 2 [95] • Chemistry [87] • Software Design [95]

Goal: ≥92.00 for B Advanced Mathematics (Hons) / B Engineering (Hons) (Computer) at UNSW

HSC
    N/A

Cadet
    HSC

Advanced always. If you can choose between general/standard and advanced, always go advanced. It's honestly not a lot harder, but the scaling is much better. You can always drop down if you are struggling (which I doubt tbh).
    Physics seems to work well with engineering but not so much for architecture. Chemistry is more irrelevant. Only take these if you enjoy the subject, not because you want to do architecture.
    You could replace business with economics (better scaling, more interesting but harder subject) but still not relevant to your future career.

I honestly just recommend taking subjects you enjoy and are good at. If you want a career in designing things wouldn't visual arts or engineering studies be more helpful than learning sciences? Idk, that's what I would think. But I also wouldn't limit myself to simply subjects based for that one career, try to keep options open (by doing a variety of different disciplines) because what if you change your mind in year 12 (I had my heart set on Music Degree since year 7 but mid year 10 I decided I wanted med lmao, so it could happen ya never know).
    3U Eng | Chem | Bio | Physics | Adv Math | Modern History

99+ Atar Goal

HSC
    N/A
    Uni Grad

I recommended you that you are should choose the subjects in which you are interested or best to gain the more tremendous opportunity and hope that you did so.Thanks

Thread Information