How to stop comparing my marks to others? (1 Viewer)

Vanillacupcake

HSC
I have done terrible in my assessments for this term (most of my marks are below 60%, below average). Due to this, I have felt really down about myself and have been comparing my marks to others.

It is really easy for me to compare myself to others due to the ranking system. I felt hopeless when I found out that I was ranked 70/78 in Advanced English.

I see the people around me getting happy over their 70%+ or even complaining about their marks when they are 10x higher than mine. It feels worse when the teachers glorify these students (I am pretty sure the teachers think I am dumb).

I feel hopeless when I know that all I do is stay at home and study while those that get higher than me have amazing social lives as well.

With my marks, I am going to study even smarter for Trials. I just don’t know how to bring my academic self esteem up when everything feels like it is crumbling apart.

cherryboi

HSC
You should never compare yourself with other people. I know how easy it is to do with the HSC ranking system and all, but you must focus ahead. There is still the trials and the major HSC exams which count for the other 50% of your final mark. Just look at it this way what if you stop comparing yourself and rather focus on the process of maximising your effort in every assessment you do from now, whatever mark you will get won't affect you because you know you tried your best. And more than likely you will end up on a good mark as all you did was focus on yourself and maximised your marks in each assessment. Most importantly , know what you did wrong which made you get those marks...and I advise you to closely analyse it over a day or two. Through this make a plan on the changes you need to make such as reducing procrastination or changing your studying technique. I know how you feel, In one of my assessments for chemistry this year i screwed up bad in which my ranks went significantly down to the bottom half of the grade. I took a few days off and analysed closely myself on the processes which led to this mark and it was that my studying technique was ridiculous. I researched new methods and changed it. In my next assessment which was this term I came first in the grade, boosting my overall rank to 3rd.

You know the good thing about your position right now is that you have trials coming up. A lot of your tests will be out of 100, thereby you have a great opportunity to climb up. Look at your process in studying, Look at the mistakes you made. Change and Improve upon them by asking for advice from other students.

And never compare yourself! focus on you!

Advice you to watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxY8wZ6m2JQ

Jolteon

HSC
There will always be people who excel with minimal study and effort! Everyone is different and what matters most is that you put in your best effort and you have no regrets.
Also a social life is just as important as getting good results so don't neglect it and have some fun and balance between the two :) Sure you may lose some study time but at least you can hang out and relieve some stress.

Sometimes just staying at your desk and studying for long hours isn't really productive, there are many other study techniques out there and you can explore it before trials. Study groups also work very well and that way you can also share your worries with your mates too.

At the end of the day, if you've put in your best effort then that is what really matters. You should be proud and I wish you nothing but the best for trials and HSC! :)

Quick tip: The pomodoro technique/watch is a really effective method for studying that reduces procrastination and gives you a timed break as well. Honestly I feel like Y12 should be the same, you need to have times when you study hard and give it your all, but there should always be a time when you can just chill with friends and relax.

Last edited:

jjnn

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello,

I agree with cherryboi. NEVER COMPARE YOURSELF WITH OTHER. A way to never compare yourself is block all the words that come out of the people in your class that get good marks.

Try and talk to your friend next to you as you receive your paper to lure your focus away from your peers. Being among the 7th lowest in a course is not good to be honest, but use this as encouragement. Say to yourself, well if i am getting these bad marks and my whole class and teacher think I am dumb, i will prove to them next assessment task that I am not dumb and I am capable of getting top marks in the course. And trust m if you spend your time actually doing progressively studying and not actually thinking and stressing about your position, you will be surprised with the results that ensue.

You still have time till your Trials, try and use this opportunity to study smart (NOT HARD) and prove to everyone, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY YOURSELF, that you are a capable human being with no limits to success. Good luck with your exams and I honestly know that you will get perfect results because you remind me of myself at your time and difficulty. Good luck with everything and hope everything goes well. God bless

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)