Advice needed from b6 business students regarding section 4! (1 Viewer)

blah21

HSC
Hi I just wanted to ask a question to all the b6 business students, So I have an assessment for business coming up in which we have to do an in-class response related to our case study to a question which we will receive on the day. I just wanted to ask whether a high level of language is required when writing the essay? like off course you have to answer the question properly with business terminology. But should you use elaborate, jargon that we use often in Advanced English essays. Cause I feel that when you try to do this in business, you dont communicate clearly what your saying. Also because im receiving the question on the day its harder to adapt high calibre language on the spot. So is it possible to receive 18+/20 without this high level of language?

plus when i looked at the sample essays at the back of success one hsc books, the way its written is very simple and clear to understand ; with business terminology, in which the content theory part is linked well to the case study part.

Thank You.

Wurger

HSC
Hi I just wanted to ask a question to all the b6 business students, So I have an assessment for business coming up in which we have to do an in-class response related to our case study to a question which we will receive on the day. I just wanted to ask whether a high level of language is required when writing the essay? like off course you have to answer the question properly with business terminology. But should you use elaborate, jargon that we use often in Advanced English essays. Cause I feel that when you try to do this in business, you dont communicate clearly what your saying. Also because im receiving the question on the day its harder to adapt high calibre language on the spot. So is it possible to receive 18+/20 without this high level of language?

plus when i looked at the sample essays at the back of success one hsc books, the way its written is very simple and clear to understand ; with business terminology, in which the content theory part is linked well to the case study part.

Thank You.
No business studies is very precise and specific. Nothing like English. The essay is essentially detailed points and explanation through case studies. Try to make things as concise and as less general as possible.

blah21

HSC
Sorry, what do you exactly mean by "as less general as possible"

thanks.

Wurger

HSC
Sorry, what do you exactly mean by "as less general as possible"

thanks.
What I mean is make sure you are not being general when describing things. Eg. a business could use promotion strategies: what strategies?
Adopting this strategy may be taxing on the business: How? Would it reduce market share, profit?

MajesticMemes

HSC
You aren't being marked on the sophistication of your language, and honestly, not even English is too fussed about it. The markers are human; they want something which is easy to read with nice flow. Bogging your writing down with unnecessarily big words will frustrate them.

thesaurus.com should only be used to add a bit of variety and flow to your expression, so you're not using the same words again and again. The things that will net you good marks in a business report is an excellent understanding of the business concepts within the question, and the best way to show this is by applying these concepts to specific examples within your case study. Tie this all together with a clear and concise executive summary, organised and numbered sub-headings, a conclusion, and consistent grammar/punctuation.

If you want to smash it, research your case study and come prepared with statistics (financial data, H.R benchmarks), business goals (either overall goals, or specific to a certain function, i.e. marketing goals), scenarios (especially for H.R incidents, disputes, etc). All this stuff is fantastic for recommend/evaluate/analyse, etc. questions which is most likely what you'll get. Do this, and you've already differentiated yourself from 90% of students doing business studies.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Business studies is all about using the terminology from the syllabus to demonstrate your knowledge of the subject matter and ability to put it in (coherent) writing.

phat_tar

HSC
Uni Grad
Nonononononononoononoonononooooooo.

Business studies teachers HATE IT when you use big words or try write it like a english essay. Keep it as simple as possible, answering the question, and exploring the syllabus in depth through your chosen case study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)