Typed vs. Handwritten study notes (1 Viewer)

impulsebro89

HSC
Hello!

I just have a question regarding typed vs. handwritten study notes for the HSC. With the trials coming up, I've decided to rewrite my study notes to make them more concise and neat and whatnot. Until now, all my notes have been handwritten, but lately I've been wondering whether typed notes would be more effective in the long run.

On the one hand, I think handwritten notes are more effective in retaining content because you are forced to process what you're writing down in your brain. However, they tend to become messy over the year, and as I add new information to them it ends up becoming convoluted and NOT concise lol.

On the other hand, with typed up notes you can easily edit and cut out parts that you don't need. They're more portable as well, because they're just on your laptop or phone. However, I don't want to spend hours and hours in front of the computer screen, and also they're not as helpful in retaining content in the long run (imo)

Thanks!

aoc

HSC
Basically up to user discretion (what you feel works best for you). What i liked to do though was make typed notes throughout the semester so i can easily add and remove stuff and then when tests came round i would hand write the notes leaving only the most important points in my handwritten notes. This saves time for handwritten notes (only writing important stuff) and gives you 2 sets of notes - one with extensive detail (typed) and a summarized version (written).

In general though i do feel as if handwritten notes allow you to retain information better so is a good method for revising when tests come around but its really inefficient for subjects like economics and English advanced analysis since you'd be adding and deleting things all the time.

Last edited:

tiredd

HSC
typed notes just saves time in general and is neater, it's easier to edit compared to written and by uni you'll be mostly typing everything so better to get into the habit i guess

impulsebro89

HSC
Oooh ok thanks for the opinions! I'll definitely keep them in mind :D

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I did written notes for bio because we had to for homework and to edit I just added sticky notes on top (or remembered some changes I gathered from doing past papers/in class questions).

I like typed notes IF you print them. If you read them off the screen you're 95% gonna bludge since facebook/YT is only a click away so depends on your own opinions :)

jjuunnee

HSC
I prefer typed notes that are printed out because it's just a lot neater and easier to read than handwritten ones haha. But some people like handwriting them because it helps them retain information, plus makes studying more enjoyable if they like to make their notes look pretty

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
I have my notes for my subjects typed, except maths notes which are written (Self-explanatory)
I find it quicker and easier, especially adding images and that sort of thing. Have no colour printing though so its a bit of a tradeoff

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
I basically did typed notes throughout the year but before trials and the HSC I just summarised my notes handwritten just to get used to writing and also to retain the information.

Everyone has their preferred learning/note-taking style though.

iStudent

HSC
Typing your notes is way more efficient simply because you type much faster than you handwrite (and you can study for longer since you don't get tired after writing a page).

You can use the time saved from typing to create a second set of notes based off your original notes (if you choose) excluding all the basic/unnecessary information - or really, just using the extra time to re-read your notes/rote learn your notes/do some past papers etc.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I prefer typed notes as you can back them up, access on phone just in case, can easily search to find things, easy to add in things later on, etc...

.. but handwritten has added benefit of forcing you to write neatly and practice handwriting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)