Hey trials got me bad (1 Viewer)

thatguythat

HSC
N/A
So i think i might have gotten under 50% in 2 unit math
ill confident about my other subjects (bio,chemistry, modern history and standard english
but how much in jeopardy is a 90ish atar. please respond.

Last edited:

Frostguard

HSC
Your ATAR goal of 90 is most certainly not in jeopardy, the only thing you gotta do is ace your trials especially since they're worth a lot. Finish off writing your notes and attempting past papers for bio, chem, modern and englsh. Remember the scientific concepts within bio and chem in short and effective study methods to ace them MC+SA. Modern and English are similar, remember quotes, techniques, 'mold-able' essays, thesis statements for AOS and your modules for english and for modern, do some essays/ mc to refresh on the dot point and most importantly to include historiography in your essays to set you apart from everyone else. Maths is your weakest (same xd), which means you must attempt past papers/ revision booklets, the difficult questions in your textbook, ask peers/friends/teachers for help on those difficult questions and I'm sure you'll get a good internal mark so you can achieve that ATAR goal, remember you've always got bonus points!!

thatguythat

HSC
N/A
Your ATAR goal of 90 is most certainly not in jeopardy, the only thing you gotta do is ace your trials especially since they're worth a lot. Finish off writing your notes and attempting past papers for bio, chem, modern and englsh. Remember the scientific concepts within bio and chem in short and effective study methods to ace them MC+SA. Modern and English are similar, remember quotes, techniques, 'mold-able' essays, thesis statements for AOS and your modules for english and for modern, do some essays/ mc to refresh on the dot point and most importantly to include historiography in your essays to set you apart from everyone else. Maths is your weakest (same xd), which means you must attempt past papers/ revision booklets, the difficult questions in your textbook, ask peers/friends/teachers for help on those difficult questions and I'm sure you'll get a good internal mark so you can achieve that ATAR goal, remember you've always got bonus points!!
thankyou Frostguard, but i should have specified that i have already done my trial math test, and i might have failed

thatguythat

HSC
N/A
thankyou Frostguard, but i should have specified that i have already done my trial math test, and i might have failed
So can you reassess my situation, given I've already done my math, bio and english trial tests please?

Neil_

HSC
My school was one of the schools where because the teacher set VERY hard trials, the students who ended up getting 40s-50s in math ended up getting at least b5s. Our teachers also said not to fixate on the mark, but on the rank you have. Just do a HSC paper in exam conditions, time yourself and see what mark you get that should give you a rough idea.

thatguythat

HSC
N/A
My school was one of the schools where because the teacher set VERY hard trials, the students who ended up getting 40s-50s in math ended up getting at least b5s. Our teachers also said not to fixate on the mark, but on the rank you have. Just do a HSC paper in exam conditions, time yourself and see what mark you get that should give you a rough idea.
Hey Neil, so id agree that our internal tests similarly are quite difficult as well, but in my specific situation, I'm close to the bottom of the cohort rank wise, and having just done my math trial, I'm not sure how much of an impact this may have on my goal of a 90 or so atar.
Would a good external mark alleviate the train wreck of my internals?

Frostguard

HSC
So can you reassess my situation, given I've already done my math, bio and english trial tests please?
Well uhhh, if you're confident with English and Bio, I'm sure you'll get a good mark for your trial exams which means you've got modern and chem so make sure you smash the rest of those exams since your Maths isn't exactly your strong point. Again, a 90 ATAR is not necessarily way without your reach so long as you put the effort, but realistically your maths will be difficult for your ATAR goal. Keep in mind that Trial exams are generally set harder than the actual HSC exams itself so you can prepare for the HSC exams, so now you've gotta put in the extra effort and make sure all your other subjects help carry the weight of your Maths exam. Basically just try your best for your remaining trial hsc exams and know that one bad test result will most certainly not ruin your ATAR goal, it just means you gotta work harder for everything else. Good luck man! :)

thatguythat

HSC
N/A
Well uhhh, if you're confident with English and Bio, I'm sure you'll get a good mark for your trial exams which means you've got modern and chem so make sure you smash the rest of those exams since your Maths isn't exactly your strong point. Again, a 90 ATAR is not necessarily way without your reach so long as you put the effort, but realistically your maths will be difficult for your ATAR goal. Keep in mind that Trial exams are generally set harder than the actual HSC exams itself so you can prepare for the HSC exams, so now you've gotta put in the extra effort and make sure all your other subjects help carry the weight of your Maths exam. Basically just try your best for your remaining trial hsc exams and know that one bad test result will most certainly not ruin your ATAR goal, it just means you gotta work harder for everything else. Good luck man! :)
Thanks Frostguard:D

Neil_

HSC
Hey Neil, so id agree that our internal tests similarly are quite difficult as well, but in my specific situation, I'm close to the bottom of the cohort rank wise, and having just done my math trial, I'm not sure how much of an impact this may have on my goal of a 90 or so atar.
Would a good external mark alleviate the train wreck of my internals?
Yes, good externals would greatly benefit you if you feel your internal for math wasn't good, but you're subject to how well your cohort does too.

Basically the higher your rank, the less affected you will be if your cohort does bad. Having a low rank isn't bad if your school is known for doing well in that particular subject in the HSC.

I think you should ask your teacher for examples of how students in your position last year fared in the HSC. Obv it won't be set in stone, but it can provide a general indication.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)