scaling (1 Viewer)

HSC
on rawmarks.info it says that for engineering studies in 2013 an 80 aligned to 95. how is this possible considering engineering doesnt have the best scaling (in terms of the difference between aligning and scaling)?

RhythmKnight

HSC
I don't know about scaling of engineering studies. But the alignment is of your actual HSC exam not your internals. So getting 80/100 in your HSC EXAM (external) will give you about 95. I would not trust the information as it is of 2013.

RhythmKnight

HSC
UAC take your aligned mark and turn into a scaled mark. For engineering studies I am pretty sure a 95 will turn into like a 90 as a scaled mark. But remember the HSC mark that you get is an aligned mark. So when you put your scores in atar calculator its the aligned mark.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
on rawmarks.info it says that for engineering studies in 2013 an 80 aligned to 95. how is this possible considering engineering doesnt have the best scaling (in terms of the difference between aligning and scaling)?
Aligning is the RAW band cutoffs, scaling as far as I know is completely independent of this. Scaling depends on the entire NSW cohort and how they perform in that subjects vs other subjects, i.e. how much it will count towards your aggregate

For example Maths Extension 2 SCALES really well as the cohort is considered to be full of "smart" people who tend to perform really well on all their other subjects. This is used to determine that it must be a really hard subject and so it scales well.

Last edited:

HSC
I don't know about scaling of engineering studies. But the alignment is of your actual HSC exam not your internals. So getting 80/100 in your HSC EXAM (external) will give you about 95. I would not trust the information as it is of 2013.
so why is the aligning for engineering so good but the scaling so bad?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
so why is the aligning for engineering so good but the scaling so bad?
I guess what that means it that the entire NSW cohort for engineering studies is probably not that strong, as opposed to physics for example. Hence they don't scale it up as much. Aligning seems good as while it may be a challenging course and so the band 6 people are deemed to be performing at that level, it may not as challenging as a lot of the other subjects out there. Hence suggesting the cohort itself may be weaker as they are unable to perform well compared to the other subjects.

I can relate as I do SDD which has above average scaling. While the aligning is good, a lot of the "dropkicks" take it as they think its just games all day, hence dragging down its scaling.

HSC
I guess what that means it that the entire NSW cohort for engineering studies is probably not that strong, as opposed to physics for example. Hence they don't scale it up as much. Aligning seems good as while it may be a challenging course and so the band 6 people are deemed to be performing at that level, it may not as challenging as a lot of the other subjects out there. Hence suggesting the cohort itself may be weaker as they are unable to perform well compared to the other subjects.

I can relate as I do SDD which has above average scaling. While the aligning is good, a lot of the "dropkicks" take it as they think its just games all day, hence dragging down its scaling.
im confused. engineering is one of the hardest subjects in the hsc mainly because the syllabus is so broad and they can ask you almost anything, therefore making it hard to score a high raw mark. is this why the aligning is really good?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)