Question about aligning/scaling (1 Viewer)

Cronus

HSC
N/A
Is it true if you get super high in the HSC, but your internal rank/mark is mediocre or bad, they align the HSC mark to match the external result?

jjuunnee

HSC
Not exactly?

All I know is that your internal mark is calculated based on your rank and how well your cohort goes in the external exam (so if you're ranked 14th you'll get the 14th highest mark in your cohort). Your external mark is purely based on your performance in the external exam but it's an aligned mark, not a raw mark (eg. 70 raw mark in the exam may go up to a 90 as your final external mark). How much your mark gets aligned depends on the subject's scaling

This may not be fully correct, but hope this helps!

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Not exactly?

All I know is that your internal mark is calculated based on your rank and how well your cohort goes in the external exam (so if you're ranked 14th you'll get the 14th highest mark in your cohort). Your external mark is purely based on your performance in the external exam but it's an aligned mark, not a raw mark (eg. 70 raw mark in the exam may go up to a 90 as your final external mark). How much your mark gets aligned depends on the subject's scaling

You wont necessarily get the 14th highest exam mark. Your marks will get shifted up or down so that the mean of your new internal marks equals the mean of the external marks

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Not exactly?

You wont necessarily get the 14th highest exam mark. Your marks will get shifted up or down so that the mean of your new internal marks equals the mean of the external marks
Yep as stated it won't exactly be the 14th highest, but it should be close-ish to it.

Cronus

HSC
N/A
Is it true if you get super high in the HSC, but your internal rank/mark is mediocre or bad, they align the HSC mark to match the external result?
Because no one has disputed me, can I assume what I stated in the original post ^ as the truth?

Cronus

HSC
N/A
Not exactly?

Oh that's what I used to think, but then I also heard that a significant difference in your external mark as opposed to your internal affects things as well

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't get what you mean by HSC mark and external result?
Do you mean internal mark and the External HSC mark, as my response is based on this assumption

Nope that is incorrect, NESA does not all at do that.
A significant difference of lets say 70% to a 95% in your external exam will obviously pull up your moderated internal mark as it pulls up your cohorts mean. Therefore like I stated they will moderate your internal mark so that the mean of the internal marks equal the mean of the external marks.

One person I know had an average of in the high 70s for Maths and most of the cohort was in the high 80s and 90s but since his and his cohorts external marks were so good, he ended up getting 90 as his moderated internal mark ;p

Basically it will pull up your moderated internal mark a bit

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)