The Harsh Truths of the HSC (1 Viewer)

studygirl118

HSC
In your opinion, what are some harsh truths about the hsc that no one ever told you?

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Your internal school marks don't matter at all (apart from determining rank). Feeling that false sense of security just crumble away really hit me hard haha

Also people need to stop spreading the rumour that yr11 counts for half of your atar, the amount of people who only found out otherwise as yr12 was starting was surprising

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
In your opinion, what are some harsh truths about the hsc that no one ever told you?
Can't really think of one but I'll just say the HSC is basically like another trial paper so nothing to be stressed about... ALSO I honestly think our school's trial system of 3 sets of trials was so helpful because my friend and I weren't stressed at all for the HSC while friends were really stressed because we had so much practice in the environment already.

I think all schools should adopt this tbh it just helps so much with the HSC but it'll require more work from students...

enoilgam

HSC
Probably how overrated it is in terms of its impact on your future. Like, the HSC has so much hype surrounding it and people put so much energy into getting a good ATAR. Realistically though, unless you want to get into a course which requires a high ATAR (namely medicine) or a scholarship, it really is worthless. I studied my ass off and got a fairly decent ATAR - then I went to uni and I was with people who got almost 40 points lower. That's when it hit me that it was overrated.

8 years on, I look at people I went to school with and honestly, it's shocking how little it impacted their futures. I know people who were absolute bums in school who have done really well - I also know a few who did really well and are either still at uni or working dead end jobs. The way HSC was hyped, at the time I thought a good ATAR would set you up for success, whilst a bad one would seriously hurt your prospects.

If I had my time again, I wouldnt have invested all that energy, it was a complete waste to be honest.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Probably how overrated it is in terms of its impact on your future. Like, the HSC has so much hype surrounding it and people put so much energy into getting a good ATAR. Realistically though, unless you want to get into a course which requires a high ATAR (namely medicine) or a scholarship, it really is worthless. I studied my ass off and got a fairly decent ATAR - then I went to uni and I was with people who got almost 40 points lower. That's when it hit me that it was overrated.

8 years on, I look at people I went to school with and honestly, it's shocking how little it impacted their futures. I know people who were absolute bums in school who have done really well - I also know a few who did really well and are either still at uni or working dead end jobs. The way HSC was hyped, at the time I thought a good ATAR would set you up for success, whilst a bad one would seriously hurt your prospects.

If I had my time again, I wouldnt have invested all that energy, it was a complete waste to be honest.
Fully agreed should've done more sport and other extracurriculars would've been more useful

studygirl118

HSC
That would actually be SO helpful to have three trials. So basically were all your assessments throughout Year 12 just like trial exams?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
That would actually be SO helpful to have three trials. So basically were all your assessments throughout Year 12 just like trial exams?
Nah had normal assessment schedule just had more trials

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Unspoken danger of burning out at the most crucial time of the HSC-either before trials, during trials or before or during HSC. It is so important to manage your psychological and physical health throughout the year so that all your effort won't be wasted in the most crucial part of the journey-Space your energy out and enjoy it, rather than trying to endure it.

Having a good/bad tutor can make/break your experience in HSC-whether you want to finish it as fast as you can so you can get out or whether you enjoy the learning process (regardless of whether you achieve good marks/are independent learner)

mariakery1

HSC
I think all schools should adopt this tbh it just helps so much with the HSC but it'll require more work from students...
RIP NESA now restricts max 4 assessment tasks in the HSC and only one of them can be an exam, that is the trial (however, this doesn't apply for maths I believe). :(

bjw22

HSC
Truth #1: Don't bust your ass too hard all the way through - work only hard enough to achieve good internal rankings (the more firsts the better). One needs to ensure they leave enough in the tank for the main game at the end.
Truth #2: English is gonna screw you over whatever you do - it's always wrong. For example, teacher says "be more specific", so anguished student does indeed go into more detail, only to be told to be "broader and less narrow, focus less on specific ideas"
Truth #3: Internal marks mean a lot less now than they did a few weeks ago.

Also reading above, 3 sets of trial papers... woweee. I think I would have dropped out by now, 1 set was a bit stressful - let alone 3.

clovvy

HSC
I am currently in yr 12 and I do regret so much... I was overly anxious throughout the year and that hinders me from actually doing stuff, got sent to the hospital by my school after half yearlies and a lot of other bullcrap... I should've done extra-curriculars tbh, like everyday I woke up feeling shit due to the fact that I have to give up 98 ATAR to be realistic and now I am hoping to scrap 90+ even though my teachers doubted a lot... It sucks, and idk if I have the right skills for HD average WAM like 90+

pistachioman

HSC
N/A
This is something people actually told me about but i ignored it anyway :( .

Your health is so important in year 12. Please sleep on time, exercise and go out with friends to enjoy yourself. You need to be balanced throughout the year.

clovvy

HSC
Its too late to change anything drastic so what I can possibly do differently apart from exam revisions?

wassupitsmeyy

HSC
N/A
Its too late to change anything drastic so what I can possibly do differently apart from exam revisions?
Hey!
I would suggest that from between now and 2-3 days before your first exam that you follow a strict timetable in order to learn concepts you find most difficult.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
1. That nobody cares about your HSC mark once you get into uni.
2. That there's so many alternative pathways into your preferred degree.
3. That many people switch out of their degree after their first year or two (or even three) since they realise its not what they want to do.
4. That nobody cares about your uni degree(s) once you start working.
5. That everything you learn in uni is forgotten after each semester, such that by the time you graduate, you only retain about 5-10% of what you learnt (I'm generalising here, obviously not true for all degrees e.g. medicine, health science professions etc).
6. That for most jobs, it usually doesn't really matter what degree you did as long as it's somewhat related to your employment (again, generalising here), since you need to learn from scratch anyway once you start your job. Your job experience, passion for the role/industry, and ability to learn quickly are far more critical qualities that employers look for.
7. It's not what you know. It's who you know.

I try to remind all my students of this, hopefully taking some stress/pressure off of them as it really puts the HSC into perspective.

Last edited:

Esse

xD
HSC
N/A
1. That nobody cares about your HSC mark once you get into uni.
2. That there's so many alternative pathways into your preferred degree.
3. That many people switch out of their degree after their first year or two (or even three) since they realise its not what they want to do.
4. That nobody cares about your uni degree(s) once you start working.
5. That everything you learn in uni is forgotten after each semester, such that by the time you graduate, you only retain about 5-10% of what you learnt (I'm generalising here, obviously not true for all degrees e.g. medicine, health science professions etc).
6. That for most jobs, it usually doesn't really matter what degree you did as long as it's somewhat related to your employment (again, generalising here), since you need to learn from scratch anyway once you start your job. Your job experience, passion for the role/industry, and ability to learn quickly are far more critical qualities that employers look for.
7. It's not what you know. It's who you know.

I try to remind all my students of this, hopefully taking some stress/pressure off of them as it really puts the HSC into perspective.
7. is literally life

clovvy

HSC
Yet I still felt very strongly that I want to get into prestigious degrees straight away and if I realise I hate it, at least I have proven to myself an particular others that I cannot be a punching bag for anyone or a laughing stock... There is a particular individual especially that I very strongly want to prove wrong yet the process doesn't seem to be getting me there...
This is why I am scared about HSC, not really because I want to get into my degrees..... HD WAM is exactly for the same reason.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)