Eng Adv Stimuli and Essay Questions Prediction? (1 Viewer)

Iced Volvo

HSC
Hey guys, I was just wondering what your predictions are for the english advanced stimuli and question: Thanks :spin:

Discovery:
Creative stimuli?
Essay question?

Mod A: Prince & Julius Caesar
Mod B: T.S Eliot (which specific poem or not specified?)
Mod C: Brooklyn

jjuunnee

HSC
All I know is that the discovery essay will probably be on how it's confronting and provocative, bc that hasn't been tested yet and we got a question on that for trials

cherryboi

HSC
Hopefully the prescribed poem for t.s eliot is either The Hollow men or prufrock.

Because its the last year, it would be good to see if they change things up and ask for some other format of text like a diary entry. The reactions in the exam would be pretty good.

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
There are a lot of sections of the rubric that haven't been tested yet for discovery, but my best guess is that they wouldn't re-ask a part of the rubric.

Honestly I reckon the creative stimulus will be images but I'm not sure, it honestly could be anything so I'm reading through all the trials papers on THSC to try and see as many different and wacky stimuli as I can. There should always be 5 stimuli though, yeah?

HoldingOn

HSC
Hopefully the prescribed poem for t.s eliot is either The Hollow men or prufrock.

Because its the last year, it would be good to see if they change things up and ask for some other format of text like a diary entry. The reactions in the exam would be pretty good.
Diary entry would be pretty good. But the current trend from NESA seems like they are trying to make all exams more accessible and less rigorous. Mainly maths but English as well.

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm worried they're gonna ask for 2 related texts for discovery and/or mod c, given we're the last lot on this syllabus, and they haven't asked for 2 in a while.
I actually kind of want them to prescribe a text for mod b (I'm doing speeches), so long as it's not Brooks. Anything but Brooks.

Iced Volvo

HSC

They already did "Hollow Men" in 2016 and JOTM in 2017. If prescribed, it probably would be from Preludes, Prufrock and Rhapsody, however i have a feeling it may be Rhapsody for a reason which i don't like at all. Please no diary entry or speech, everyone would have prep an essay and then rip :(

Last edited:

entartung

HSC
Any Mod B Yeat's poem predictions? Irish Airman, Leda and the Swan and When You are Old are the only ones which haven't been specified yet. Second Coming has been specified, but way back in 2012. Pretty worried it might be 2nd Coming, i really hate that one.

In 2014 and 2015 they didn't specify, but i'm not counting on it this year. I feel like it might be Irish Airman or Leda and the Swan, since When you are old seem too short/narrow? The ones they've specified in past years were all the longer poems.

Any thought on the question/themes tested? Mod B is the only one i'm not doing a prepped essay for, so i'm pretty nervous.

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually I went through the Rubric after my previous comment, and they haven't really touched on Confronting and Provocative discoveries, this would honestly be a gift I think for a lot of people, including myself.

Cronus

HSC
N/A
How do you fit in a 2nd related text in the structure for a discovery essay??????

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
How do you fit in a 2nd related text in the structure for a discovery essay??????
For discovery my prescribed and related texts are in separate paragraphs. So I have 2 paragraphs for prescribed, 2 for 1st related and 1 for my 2nd related just in case. So basically just make a paragraph that would in theory replace one of your 1st related paragraphs.

Iced Volvo

HSC
Actually I went through the Rubric after my previous comment, and they haven't really touched on Confronting and Provocative discoveries, this would honestly be a gift I think for a lot of people, including myself.
They haven't touched upon a lot of things still from rubric :(

studygirl118

HSC
They’re probably gonna put two rubric for points together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Diary entry would be pretty good. But the current trend from NESA seems like they are trying to make all exams more accessible and less rigorous. Mainly maths but English as well.
I agree with this. I don't do TS Elliot but I heard someone say that the reason we dont really get other text types is because it's not heaps explicit in the rubric, but apparently the new syllabus makes it really clear that they will be asked different text types.

So NESA could either:
a) Know they'll have plenty of time to ask for other text types in the future and keep it to essays and the creative
OR
b) Trial what having a different text type is like

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
I'm worried they're gonna ask for 2 related texts for discovery and/or mod c, given we're the last lot on this syllabus, and they haven't asked for 2 in a while.
I actually kind of want them to prescribe a text for mod b (I'm doing speeches), so long as it's not Brooks. Anything but Brooks.
Unfortunately, I reckon Brooks and Pearson are the most likely to be prescribed... Atwood and Keating are too popular for it to be of use for them to prescribe it (most people will be prepared with it anyways), and the other 3 have already been prescribed.

whatafeeling

HSC
I went to an english lecture with my school at the beginning of this year and one of the english teachers from like a top selective school said she reckons they will ask about unplanned discoveries for AOS since they haven't done so before.
Although I honestly hope its confronting and provocative discovery.

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Unfortunately, I reckon Brooks and Pearson are the most likely to be prescribed... Atwood and Keating are too popular for it to be of use for them to prescribe it (most people will be prepared with it anyways), and the other 3 have already been prescribed.
I've gotta say, I've come to actually hope for Brooks since her speech clearly relates to Lessing and Atwood, so at least it won't be hard to synthesise.

I'm really hoping for AOS the general theme is unplanned/confronting discoveries since that matches my essay and creative best. I doubt they'll reuse any recent themes, eg planned/provoked discoveries

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)