Should I repeat year 12? (1 Viewer)

WISHiKNEW2

HSC
Hey,

I'm not sure whether to put this in 2018 or 2019 discussion page, but here goes.

I have been pretty sick this year and missed a lot of school in hospital and stuff. When I've been at school, my performance hasn't been fantastic because I have been dealing with the other stuff.
I know I'm relatively capable and do enjoy school, but am really not doing as well as I would like.

I am prepared to work, it's just been hard this year. My goal ATAR was 95+, but I think I'm looking more at a 60+ish right now.

I know the syllabus is changing next year, which is my biggest concern. I'm assuming I wouldn't have to repeat year 11 as well, but I don't know for sure.
Socially I'm expecting it would be uncomfortable, so I'm considering, if I go ahead with repeating, changing schools.

I want the ATAR mainly for scholarship opportunities to the uni courses I am interested in, but also to prove to myself that I am capable of it.

Is it worth the whole year of repeating? I want to go through with exams in the upcoming weeks, but am considering coming back to do year 12 again from week 5 (after exams) or term 1 next year (having reviewed term 4 syllabus over the summer).

Is it worth it?

astroman

HSC
No, repeating year 12 is never worth it. Take the time instead to just go to university and enrol in a similar course to the one which you actually want to do then transfer later on. Transferring is quite easy once you have good marks at uni and you won't be too far behind on your course. Also, there's plenty of scholarships available for undergraduate students as well so don't feel like the HSC will make or break your life, it's just a stepping stone.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)