Mod B Critical Study of Texts - 2018 Paper 2 (1 Viewer)

whatafeeling

HSC
Anyone doing SPEECHES for MOD B,

Wondering if anyone has any predictions of what speech they will ask us to write about, if they do?

They won't ask the ones they already have in the previous years, such as Saddat or something right?
Could they possibly ask for one of the shorter speeches?
Any predictions greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

Last edited:

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Hi,
I'm doing speeches and here's what I reckon:
I don't think they'll ask one they've already asked for - so probably not Saddat (I'd say definitely not for this one since it's only last year), It Is Still Winter at Home, On Not Winning the Nobel Prize

Also, I though it was interesting that if you go back all the way to 2007 (I think), Atwood, Pearson and Keating have been prescribed since then, and never set in the question. Not sure if this means anything, but I reckon it might be because they're the more popular ones - so I'm thinking probably not those ones either - but who knows since it's the last year.

I'm thinking it'll probably be "A Home in Fiction" OR the "2 of your choosing" (I doubt they'd do more than this because they've never asked for more). The latter option, they did in 2016, 2013 and then a few more years before that, but I couldn't really find a pattern.

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
i've got a hunch that they'll chuck in geraldine brooks' A Home in Fiction
Yeah my teachers reckon it’ll be Brooks or possibly Atwood.

Just out of curiosity, are anyone else’s Mod B essays a lot shorter than their other essays?

ciz

HSC
N/A
How does everyone plan on fitting in a prescribed speech if you maybe didn't focus as much on it? Will you do two speeches you know well and chuck in a paragraph on the one they've specified or only do two speeches? I managed to completely forget that they could prescribe a speech and it's two days until the exam :)))

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
My teachers constantly warned us against using more than one related speech, especially since the question asks for a prescribed and only one related.
I would brush up on context, purpose and audience of every speech before the exam, since that is almost as, if not more, important than your actual analysis. That way, even if you don't remember as many quotes, you still have some good stuff to add to your essay.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
How does everyone plan on fitting in a prescribed speech if you maybe didn't focus as much on it? Will you do two speeches you know well and chuck in a paragraph on the one they've specified or only do two speeches? I managed to completely forget that they could prescribe a speech and it's two days until the exam :)))
Usually what I've found with Mod B is that the question will have an overarching concept, and basically each speech has a different theme you can talk about that relates to the concept, so it's not too difficult to talk about a prescribed, as long as you have a main theme about it and know 3-4 quotes minimum.

So possibly if you just go through and pick 3-4 quotes for each (without really needing to do Sadat, Lessing and Deane), I think you'll be okay. I'm going in with my strongest analysis being Atwood and Keating (which worked for trials), and just general quotes for Pearson and Brooks. I'll just read over the other 3 and hope for the best.

Realistically I think the prescribed will be Brooks, but I'm really hoping it's Atwood.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)