I think I messed up paper 2 (advanced)..... I have a QUESTION! (1 Viewer)

preliminary17hsc18

HSC
Hi all,
Well... Paper 2 was absolutely horrendous for me I'm afraid....:frown2::frown2:
I don't wanna get into what I did wrong because honestly I could talk for days, but I have a massive question
In all my internal assessments for English, I achieved pretty good marks (high 80s-low 90s) which gave me an overall rank of third in my cohort. Will still get whatever the third mark was in the external exam? Basically.. can my ranking save me no matter how good or bad I go?
I'm absolutely terrified that this could mess up my ATAR goal of 90+
THANK YOUU and good luck everyone with your exams!!

Frostguard

HSC
If I have my facts right, as you know 50% comes from your external and the other 50% from your internals, you can get a rough estimation of what your internal mark is for English out of 50 and since you've gotten around high 80s to low 90s it'll most likely mean your internal mark will probs be around 40+/50 so that's good. But keep in mind NESA's moderation means your internal mark will change, either go up or either go down, you'll never truly know but your internal marks should be stable. But as you know, you keep your exam mark so whatever you get out of 105 or 100%, that'll be halved and then scaling will come into your mark and depending on your raw mark, you'll probs go up (since Advanced scaling does have good scaling), however again scaling will only help you if you do well so don't be too devastated about your performance in English, you've still got another 8 units, so you gotta smash this exams out of the park especially if you know you've fumbled on English. Good Luck and you can do it!!! :)

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm too lazy to read what Frostguard wrote (Sorry xx)

Basically, you receive TWO marks for each HSC Subject:
1st: Your mark that you got in the EXTERNAL exam (This is scaled and shit yeah dw)
2nd: The EXTERNAL MARK corresponding to your INTERNAL RANK (So the kid that came 3d in your cohort externally, you get that mark)

Your actually internal marks are never used in any calculation process, the only factor from your internals that NESA cares about is your rank.

These are then "essentially" averaged (Added and divided by 2) and then that is your mark for the subject.

Soooooo, whoever got 3rd in your cohort can't ENTIRELY save you, but they will help c:

On the flip side, whatever rank you got in the external exam, whoever's rank that is internally won't be too happy xD

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)