Results 1 to 5 of 5
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RyanT7
  • 1 Post By RyanT7

Thread: Is it possible to get a band 6 with an internal mark of 75?

  1. #1
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    2

    Is it possible to get a band 6 with an internal mark of 75?

    Basically for the majority of my subjects my average internal mark is about 75, but in most of my HSC exams so far I think I've done better than that. So I'm wondering, if I do well in the HSC (like over 90) would it be possible for me get a band 6?

    My school is ranked about #40 and here are my internal ranks and approximate marks for my subjects:
    English Advanced: 40/74 (75%)
    Ancient History: 4/4 (75%)
    Business Studies: 22/49 (75%)
    French Continuers:3 or 4(not confirmed yet)/5 (75%)
    General Maths: 2/43 (90%) - I think I will get a band 6 in this one.

    What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Flop55; 2 Nov 2018 at 5:25 PM.
    hsc 2018:
    ancient history // business studies // english advanced // french continuers // general mathematics


    atar goal: 87+

    4th place on space indvaders

  2. #2
    Member RyanT7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    265
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Is it possible to get a band 6 with an internal mark of 75?

    Yes.

    The internal marks you get in school are meaningless, only your ranks matter.

    The internal marks that your cohort receive are derived from the cohort's external exam performance.

    The ranks determine who gets what internal mark

    So hypothetically, rank 1 can be be on 20/100 in a subject and still end up with a band 6 in the HSC
    Flop55 likes this.

  3. #3
    Cadet whatafeeling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Is it possible to get a band 6 with an internal mark of 75?

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanT7 View Post
    So hypothetically, rank 1 can be be on 20/100 in a subject and still end up with a band 6 in the HSC
    What do u mean by this?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Adv. English | 2U Maffs | Physics | Chemistry | PDHPE

    HSC 2018

  4. #4
    Member RyanT7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    265
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Is it possible to get a band 6 with an internal mark of 75?

    Quote Originally Posted by whatafeeling View Post
    What do u mean by this?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    It means whatever internal mark that a particular student receives before the HSC has no effect on their actual internal mark when they get their HSC results. Only their rankings and the distance in marks between the ranks affect their final HSC internal mark, not the mark itself.

    For example, a school might set very hard exams and rank 1 might end up with only a 52/100 at school. This does not mean their internal mark will be 52 in the HSC.

    Since they are rank 1, their HSC internal mark will be equal to the highest mark that their cohort receives externally in the exam.

    So let's say the highest external mark was 96 in the HSC, rank 1 will receive an internal mark of 96 as they have the right to the highest internal mark.

    The 52/100 they had in school is absolutely irrelevant, besides the fact that it allowed him/her to get the rank 1 in the first place.

    Furthermore, moderation will take place to account for the differences in marks between ranks.

    A scenario where Rank 1 is on 90 and rank 2 is at 60, will result in rank 2's internal mark being much lower compared to if rank 2's mark was 88.

    This is because they take into consideration the GAP between the RANKS. But never the marks soley by themselves

    Hopefully this clears it up
    whatafeeling likes this.

  5. #5
    Cadet whatafeeling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Is it possible to get a band 6 with an internal mark of 75?

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanT7 View Post
    It means whatever internal mark that a particular student receives before the HSC has no effect on their actual internal mark when they get their HSC results. Only their rankings and the distance in marks between the ranks affect their final HSC internal mark, not the mark itself.

    For example, a school might set very hard exams and rank 1 might end up with only a 52/100 at school. This does not mean their internal mark will be 52 in the HSC.

    Since they are rank 1, their HSC internal mark will be equal to the highest mark that their cohort receives externally in the exam.

    So let's say the highest external mark was 96 in the HSC, rank 1 will receive an internal mark of 96 as they have the right to the highest internal mark.

    The 52/100 they had in school is absolutely irrelevant, besides the fact that it allowed him/her to get the rank 1 in the first place.

    Furthermore, moderation will take place to account for the differences in marks between ranks.

    A scenario where Rank 1 is on 90 and rank 2 is at 60, will result in rank 2's internal mark being much lower compared to if rank 2's mark was 88.

    This is because they take into consideration the GAP between the RANKS. But never the marks soley by themselves

    Hopefully this clears it up
    Right I get it. Thank you.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Adv. English | 2U Maffs | Physics | Chemistry | PDHPE

    HSC 2018

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •