Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Karldahemster
  • 1 Post By blyatman

Thread: Fishy Ranks

Cadet
    HSC

Fishy Ranks

Hi guys,

When checking my ranks today on Students Online, I discovered that my rank in maths extension 1 was second, when it is actually equal first. When talking with my school, they justified it by saying that the ranks are as they are because the first ranker does maths extension 2, which I don't - hence when they work it out for said first ranker, because she does extension 2 it counts for double or something along those lines, therefore she beats me ever so slightly.

Now this sounds legit, but I don't really understand and I am really triggered right now - I need a good internal mark to correct a slightly less than perfect extension 1 mark due to my stupid nerves at the start of the paper.

Cheers guys!!
    HSC 2018: Advanced English Maths Extension 1 Physics Chemistry Music 1

HSC

Re: Fishy Ranks

Quote Originally Posted by bjw22 View Post
    Hi guys,

When checking my ranks today on Students Online, I discovered that my rank in maths extension 1 was second, when it is actually equal first. When talking with my school, they justified it by saying that the ranks are as they are because the first ranker does maths extension 2, which I don't - hence when they work it out for said first ranker, because she does extension 2 it counts for double or something along those lines, therefore she beats me ever so slightly.

Now this sounds legit, but I don't really understand and I am really triggered right now - I need a good internal mark to correct a slightly less than perfect extension 1 mark due to my stupid nerves at the start of the paper.

Cheers guys!!
    They are separate courses, so performance in EXT 2 shouldn't impact upon EXT 1 rank
    bjw22 and JaxsenW like this.
    HSC 2018

English Adv | MX1 | MX2 | Phys | Chem | Eco

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Karldahemster View Post
    They are separate courses, so performance in EXT 2 shouldn't impact upon EXT 1 rank
    Yeah that's what I thought, it sounds a bit strange. I don't know what to do because I've already called and been sort of alright with it, but the more I think about it the more it doesn't sound right...

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

If you tied first in state with someone else who did MX2, then their MX2 mark will be used to determine who comes first in MX1. Likewise if 2 people tied 1st in state for 2u, but one (or both) did MX1, then the MX1 marks will also come into play. Same situation happens if 2 people tied first in MX2, then their MX1 marks will also come into play.

Read the first section of http://educationstandards.nsw.edu.au...irst-in-course

It's possible that your school is using a similar procedure (or maybe all schools are required to do this). I'm just speculating on this as a possible explanation for your situation, so I could be completely wrong.
    bjw22 likes this.
    Computational Fluid Dynamics Engineer
    HSC Mathematics Teacher

M.S. (Aeronautics and Astronautics) (Purdue University)
    M.Phil. (Aerospace Engineering), B.E. (Aerospace Engineering, Honours Class I), B.Sc. (Adv. Mathematics, Adv. Physics)

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by blyatman View Post
    If you tied first in state with someone else who did MX2, then their MX2 mark will be used to determine who comes first in MX1. Likewise if 2 people tied 1st in state for 2u, but one (or both) did MX1, then the MX1 marks will also come into play. Same situation happens if 2 people tied first in MX2, then their MX1 marks will also come into play.

Read the first section of http://educationstandards.nsw.edu.au...irst-in-course

It's possible that your school is using a similar procedure (or maybe all schools are required to do this). I'm just speculating on this as a possible explanation for your situation, so I could be completely wrong.
    That makes a lot of sense too. The only thing I was also thinking, is that I think (my teacher and I discussed this a while ago so I hope I remember this right) the said first ranker actually beat me by 0.00000...1. I guess then maybe that could also be why?

Can two equal first ranks be uploaded by the school to the Board - if not then I guess that solves it?
    Last edited by bjw22; 9 Nov 2018 at 4:28 PM.

HSC

That makes a lot of sense too. The only thing I was also thinking, is that I think (my teacher and I discussed this a while ago so I hope I remember this right) the said first ranker actually beat me by 0.00000...1. I guess then maybe that could also be why?

Can two equal first ranks be uploaded by the school to the Board - if not then I guess that solves it?
    Yes I was awarded first in English Extension and I was tied

Cadet
    HSC

I can't even access my Students Online account!!! Is anyone else experiencing this??
    hsc 2018:
    ancient history // business studies // english advanced // french continuers // general mathematics

atar goal: 87+

4th place on space indvaders

HSC

Yes they can submit an equal first but if one of them stuffs up your cohort is screwed up
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

HSC
    Uni Grad

Me! I cant access it either. I've tried to log on a few times and it just says "Access to your Students Online account is currently unavailable." I was thinking maybe the server is overloaded? But i dont know.. its annoying though

Cadet
    HSC

lol I can't login either. That's really strange then... why not just put in equal first??

Thread Information