ipod help! :( (1 Viewer)

Panda Bear

arab chicks? :|
HSC
I accidentally threw my ipod in along with the wash..

obviously it doens't work now... I've had it for 4 months or so.. so its still under warranty...

has anyone experienced the same thing or similiar? chances are good that apple will replace it right? :)

I just opened the back cover the nano with my bare nails just to airate the circuit board... haven't done anything else as it will void the warranty...

help! :wave:

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Something like that isnt under warranty.
but, take it to your nearest Apple retailer.

"It just froze up whilst I was listening to it on the bus"

;)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Obviously being a moron isn't covered by warranty so just say it stopped working and pretend you don't know why.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Yeah, it should function again after you dry it out. If it still doesn't work, just go to your nearest Apple store and request for the warranty.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
politik said:
The thing is, Apple tests all returned models before replacing them. And trust me, its very easy to tell if an item has been water damaged - even if you do airate the circuit board.
... No they don't

Apple, like most big manufacturers, if replacing something under warranty, will simply send you a new one without question. The device you send back then goes to QA to test what was wrong, and salvage any working components.

If they're fixing something, then yes, they're likely to notice water damage when fixing it, and likely to say that voids the warranty. If the water damage is negligible and it's just fried the circuits and they don't notice, they'll just write it off as defective and send you out a new one.

Panda Bear

HSC
Hiya... I was thinking of making up an excuse along the lines:

"My ipod died on me last night, when I bought it 4 months ago, it had some error message and refused to work but it somehow went away. This time, I turned it on and it just wouldn't go on... tried resetting hard resetting e.t.c."

I think that should work....

But honestly... I think its kinda a stupid thing for use with a warranty due to clumsiness...

It wasn't any water... It was water + detergent... the circuit board I can see has residues on it :(

urban_s0ulja

HSC
okai! firstly TAKE THE BATTERY OUT!! water will never wreck it ipod/phone/electronicz, only water mixd with electricity from the battery will!!! Then follow these instructions, if you havnt shorted out the ipod too much it should be work!

You will need the following:
 Methylated Spirits
 A small container (Plastic food tub with lid) or shallow dish
 Washing-up liquid
 A toothbrush (Not your everyday one)
 A small towel or flannel
 Hairdryer
 Bowl

Introduction: Water is not bad for your phone! When water is mixed with electricity however, it starts to react with the metals within your phone and causes damage! Please ensure that your battery is removed from your phone ASAP after any water incident! This will prevent water “damage” and cause only “Water in your phone”! This is much easier to clean and much more successful!

Fill your plastic container or shallow dish with meths and place PCB in! Make sure it’s deep enough to submerge the PCB entirely!

Leave to soak for about 20 mins, after which you should now place a small amount of washing up liquid into your bowl and fill with cold water!

Remove your PCB and run it under a cold tap, both sides to ensure that board is free of meths! Place PCB on towel and with the toothbrush and bowl, scrub the board thoroughly and firmly in all directions and angles! Please do this with care! Make sure there are loads of suds, scoop the suds from the bowl with the toothbrush to ensure this! This whole scrubbing process should last for 15 mins!

Again, run PCB under a cold tap both sides to remove all traces of the suds! Lightly pat the PCB dry with the towel and then position the board down on a hard surface like a bench top! Turn on hair dryer at highest heat temp, but a lowest blow mode and slowly go from top to bottom and back, of each side at about 5cm distance! Each pass should take about 20 secs, ensure you use one angle on the way up and the opposite on the way down! This will ensure that it’s dry under the components

lie hair dryer down at about 20 cm distance from top of PCB and allow the hot air to blow OVER, not at, the board for a further 7-8 mins! Allow board to cool as it will be extremely hot!

With the board now cool, place back in phone and test it! If it works, your home free! If still no luck, buy a new ipod:) and next time remember to take it out of ur pants before you wash them!!

P.S you may need to replace the battery to even get it to power on, if the battery has been shorted out by the water, use a multimeter to check if batter is okai or dead. you can get new batterys from jaycar or ebay, go to jaycar though cause if something goes wrong you can take it back and complain.

ummmz this is all i can think of for now.
take care
lemme know how it goes!
goodluckz

Panda Bear

HSC
lol.. you talk about a phone then an ipod o_O

but its good you're trying to help moi out! :) but i think ill just wait a few days before handing up to apple and making my excuse :p

urban_s0ulja

HSC
phone = ipod $ ipod=phone!! this guide is for phones, but itll work for ipods too! make sure u remove the lcd before bathing it first. Ive fixed loads of water damagd phones with this method. If you cant fix it, and you want to sell it pm me :) take care

vizman

HSC
you basically have no chance, any technician will be able to identify damage from water easily when they open it up

santaslayer

HSC
I work for Telstra Shop and the amount of people who want to repair they're liquid damaged phones is ridiculous. I'm not sure about an ipod but it is very easy for phone manufacturers to pick up water damage. We charge them $39.50 for labour if it voids warranty. :p

Apple charges by the hour. :p lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)