Do We Even Need Vista? (1 Viewer)

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
can someone please explain the hype around vista and how it is going to benefit the AVERAGE CONSUMER??? I almost shitted myself when I read in a vista add that "ooohhhh now you can easily play a slideshow whilst listening to music and burning a cd!" I mean for god's sake I can do that now on my VERY OLD (have had it for 10 years) Pentium II (300mhz) computer! also, does anybody give a crap about this new aero interface? why the hell would u buy a dedicated graphics card to be able to switch between applications? ISN'T THAT INSANE? the average pc user doesn't even have over 5 applications open at any one time!!! is it just a revamped version of xp in OS X style?

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Well...clearly I'm not average as I can see 10 items in my task pane...

Which is, also by the way, on Windows Vista. It's good (what do you expect from new software) and quite solid too. But definitely not worth shelling out the couple of hundreds out for. That is unless you're buying it with a new computer pre-installed. Then you really don't have a choice.

It is definitely a good OS. Seems much better than XP was when that came out.

And eye candy is where it's at these days =)

lengy

HSC
I don't think I'll be getting it.

L

littlewing69

I'm going to let a million early-adopters bug test it for me. Then it'll come standard on my next computer. I win.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
unless you are already planning to buy a new pc, I would just wait a year or so until they fix all the bugs. when xp came out, it was riddled with bugs, same with 2k, 98, 95...etc

mat2154

HSC
i don't think any one needs vista. Sure, it looks better but you can download a xp to vista transformation pack for free. All of the additional features such as extra security and media centre already exist through 3rd party software (ie zonealarm, video converters) Not worth the money

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Miles Edgeworth said:
Just get a Mac
Mac = sh!t.

You dont NEED vista, in the same sense that you don't need an ipod. Vista is more secure, easier to use, and looks better, and thats basically it.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
S1M0 said:
Mac = sh!t.

You dont NEED vista, in the same sense that you don't need an ipod. Vista is more secure, easier to use, and looks better, and thats basically it.
Linux is more secure, more customisable and Beryl shits all over Aero Glass.

What's your point?

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
mat2154 said:
i don't think any one needs vista. Sure, it looks better but you can download a xp to vista transformation pack for free. All of the additional features such as extra security and media centre already exist through 3rd party software (ie zonealarm, video converters) Not worth the money
You can? Linkage, if you please?

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
withoutaface said:
Linux is more secure, more customisable and Beryl shits all over Aero Glass.

What's your point?
uh...you don't need vista? And macs are shit?

What, can't you read?

.:BL4D3:.

HSC
dude mac rules. But it can run like, a tenth of the games out there on the market so that'd make their Mac vs. PC ad look pretty stoopid. Me = normal person = 6 applications on average. I hear Vista still runs on the same OS components of XP. Including the bugs. I reckon you'd be better off with XP, even though with XP, you can't plug in a USB stick and use that as ram.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
.:BL4D3:. said:
dude mac rules. But it can run like, a tenth of the games out there on the market so that'd make their Mac vs. PC ad look pretty stoopid. Me = normal person = 6 applications on average. I hear Vista still runs on the same OS components of XP. Including the bugs. I reckon you'd be better off with XP, even though with XP, you can't plug in a USB stick and use that as ram.
Who in fuck's name would want to use a USB stick as RAM :S

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Fuck vista. Hate that peice of shit software, i dont even understand the reasoning behind PAYING for an os...just download linux, its free!

its all flashy and meant to be secure, basically its shit for me because it will hamper my ability to use copied software, plus the advanced users dont really like it.

No way in hell am i going to buy it, when push comes to shove in a few years and it will be hard to do anything on xp[like windows98 right now] then i will just switch to linux and microsoft can get fucked.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
There's no point switching over to Vista right now for the hell of it

Maybe in a few years when everything is designed for Vista and not XP, or if you upgrade your computer but atm XP does everything Vista does

Also vista's only just come out - itll take a little while to sort out bugs and ensure that all your computer hardware works properly. The same thing happened when XP came out - a lot of people who jumped in straight away had massive problems with hardware/software while microsoft had to iron out the bugs

sladehk

le random
HSC
i've heard this talk of linux being free, good for advanced users and stuff.. but im too lazy do all the configuring for linux even for the *user-friendly* versions. If there were a userfriendlyish version that's free and close enuf to vista functionality including vine or wine or watever its called, i would gladly use it if you provided a link =P

i guess.. vista just looks good? dun need to do much.. and vista ultimate does look mad =D

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Serius said:
Fuck vista. Hate that peice of shit software, i dont even understand the reasoning behind PAYING for an os...just download linux, its free!

its all flashy and meant to be secure, basically its shit for me because it will hamper my ability to use copied software, plus the advanced users dont really like it.

No way in hell am i going to buy it, when push comes to shove in a few years and it will be hard to do anything on xp[like windows98 right now] then i will just switch to linux and microsoft can get fucked.
Why not just get Vista pirated? I know its out there, and there's already a permanent crack for it.

stephenchow

HSC
S1M0 said:
Mac = sh!t.

Thought Mac was immune to internet viruses, trojans etc while Windows OS attract security problems like child bait attracts pedos.

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
vista is a solid piece of OS. its nice on the eyes and the sercurity as been beefed up about ten fold compared to xp. my version of vista seems to be operating properly with no crashes yet (its a legit copy not a bit torrent download). i would chose vista over a mac simple because it looks better. draw back of vista is that it is heavy on the system resources.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
sladehk said:
i've heard this talk of linux being free, good for advanced users and stuff.. but im too lazy do all the configuring for linux even for the *user-friendly* versions. If there were a userfriendlyish version that's free and close enuf to vista functionality including vine or wine or watever its called, i would gladly use it if you provided a link =P

i guess.. vista just looks good? dun need to do much.. and vista ultimate does look mad =D
I think you're looking for something like PCLinuxOS, which has by default all codec support and Flash etc iirc, and installing wine is fairly easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)