Pentium Duo Core. What is it? (1 Viewer)

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Ok, can someone please tell me how a Pentium Duo compares to a pentium 4 etc? All i know is that the former has two thingys, which makes the computer go really fast, but does that mean its x2 the speed or what?

I'm computer stupid. Soz.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If you mean Core Duo's then then it means they are effectively 2 processors on the one base so you can run multiple applications and/or multi-threaded applications more effectively.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Pentium 4/D is based on the Netburst architecture, which has 30+ stage pipelines and horrible thermal properties. Core Duo is based on the Core architecture.

In a nutshell, Core Duo = more powerful, cooler, less energy hungry Pentium 4/D.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
Ok, can someone please tell me how a Pentium Duo compares to a pentium 4 etc? All i know is that the former has two thingys, which makes the computer go really fast, but does that mean its x2 the speed or what?

I'm computer stupid. Soz.
It means it got 2 cores.

And what that means is that when the computer processes tasks, it no longer has to wait in a "line" to complete its task.

Think of a single core as a single line with a single cash register. Now two cores means that there's now two registers, and that means that the line is cut in half and goes quicker.

Understand?

sladehk

le random
HSC
but.. so the ghz rating given for a core 2duo of 1.83ghz = 3.66ghz of a normal pentium?? or is it not proportional

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
There is no proportional frequency guide as applications may utilise one architecture over another.

There's a CPU guide at Toms Hardware which contains popular applications and how well each CPU runs it.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
sladehk said:
but.. so the ghz rating given for a core 2duo of 1.83ghz = 3.66ghz of a normal pentium?? or is it not proportional
Clock speed doesn't mean anywhere near as much as it used to.

Collin

HSC
N/A
S1M0 said:
Think of a single core as a single line with a single cash register. Now two cores means that there's now two registers, and that means that the line is cut in half and goes quicker.
That's sort of misleading. Dual-core doesn't necessarily make an application run twice as fast a single core (or even close to that, depending on what tasks you're doing).

As for the Pentium brand-name, it's set to return in a few months as a budget series based on the Allendale core.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Collin said:
That's sort of misleading. Dual-core doesn't necessarily make an application run twice as fast a single core (or even close to that, depending on what tasks you're doing).

As for the Pentium brand-name, it's set to return in a few months as a budget series based on the Allendale core.
Thats true, but i kept it simple so that Cyan_PhoeniX would understand. What i said is basically the jist of it, but yeah, it doens't always mean that it runs twice as fast, as some apps don't utilise the architecture.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
If there is only one customer, then a double register set up won't run any faster. Similar with code not optimised for multi core.

sladehk

le random
HSC
so basically for stuff which is written for the dual core thingies, it'll run faster, if not its just a normal 1.83ghz processor or whatever it is.. therefore a 2ghz core duo is slower than a 3ghz normal pentium when you're just running one application? is that right?

and when there's multiple tasks, the coreduo performs better because it can have one processor to do some applications when the other does other stuff?

:? *Confused

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
sladehk said:
so basically for stuff which is written for the dual core thingies, it'll run faster, if not its just a normal 1.83ghz processor or whatever it is.. therefore a 2ghz core duo is slower than a 3ghz normal pentium when you're just running one application? is that right?

and when there's multiple tasks, the coreduo performs better because it can have one processor to do some applications when the other does other stuff?

:? *Confused
'

Yeah thats pretty much right.

Code thats not optimised for 2 cores, will thus only recognise only one, slower core, which therefore will actually result in the app running slower.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
S1M0 said:
'

Yeah thats pretty much right.

Code thats not optimised for 2 cores, will thus only recognise only one, slower core, which therefore will actually result in the app running slower.

So is this the same for games? Games need to specially programed for the 2 cores, otherwise its slower? The main reason I'm asking all this is that i currently have a pretty powerful laptop, but the only reason that the newer games dont run on it is that i need a better graphics card (which cant really be put in a laptop. right?). So to cut a long, boring story short, I want to get a computer, but this is mainly to be used for games. Right now, the duo cores only seem to be around 1-2 gigs (which isnt too good if the 2 cores arent being used), whereas its cheaper to get a pentium 3gigs. For games like half-life 2 and deus ex 2, is the latter better? Do ANY games use the duo system yet?

(sorry, there are about 4 questions there, but any help would be groovy).

Collin

HSC
N/A
Cyan_phoeniX said:
So is this the same for games? Games need to specially programed for the 2 cores, otherwise its slower? The main reason I'm asking all this is that i currently have a pretty powerful laptop, but the only reason that the newer games dont run on it is that i need a better graphics card (which cant really be put in a laptop. right?). So to cut a long, boring story short, I want to get a computer, but this is mainly to be used for games. Right now, the duo cores only seem to be around 1-2 gigs (which isnt too good if the 2 cores arent being used), whereas its cheaper to get a pentium 3gigs. For games like half-life 2 and deus ex 2, is the latter better? Do ANY games use the duo system yet?

(sorry, there are about 4 questions there, but any help would be groovy).
Multi-core utilisation by games are increasing, and it's performance contribution for future titles should influence purchasing decision. Considering that dual-core processors aren't relatively expensive nowadays anyway (and with single-core getting phased out), there is no reason to avoid one.

The way you're looking at it seems very black and white. It's not as if a particular game will either 'use the Duo system' or not at all. Today's publicised commercial titles tends to utilise dual-core technology at different levels, however there is no dispute over which direction you should be going. Get dual-core.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Collin said:
Multi-core utilisation by games are increasing, and it's performance contribution for future titles should influence purchasing decision. Considering that dual-core processors aren't relatively expensive nowadays anyway (and with single-core getting phased out), there is no reason to avoid one.

The way you're looking at it seems very black and white. It's not as if a particular game will either 'use the Duo system' or not at all. Today's publicised commercial titles tends to utilise dual-core technology at different levels, however there is no dispute over which direction you should be going. Get dual-core.
Groovy. Duo it shall be. *throws laptop out window*

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Also, a Core Duo will beat a Pentium at much lower frequency. A 1.83GHz Conroe will beat almost any Netburst offerings, even at >3GHz.

For gaming, you'll find the Core Duo's much shorter pipeline and more efficient architecture will be far more useful than pure clockspeed of the Netburst.

spangacrab

HSC
You can overclock those E6300 (1.83ghz) like crazy if your into that stuff aswell. Like up to 2.5ghz without even trying on stock cooling. 3.5Ghz etc with decent cooling.

unrestricted

HSC
My laptop is running a merom T7600 which i find to outperform the desktop E6800, it really shows that the architecture creates a massive difference in performance, regardless of clockspeed.

Collin

HSC
N/A
unrestricted said:
My laptop is running a merom T7600 which i find to outperform the desktop E6800, it really shows that the architecture creates a massive difference in performance, regardless of clockspeed.
Unfortunately, I doubt the 2.33GHz T7600 outperforms the 2.93GHz X6800.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)