Upgrading Hard Drive capacity?? (1 Viewer)

Danoz The Great

HSC
I've got a mate who has a pretty old computer- the hard drive only has about 11G capacity and it's got about 370MB left after cleaning everything out....

Is there an upgrade that she could get to increase the hard drive capacity, rather the fork out for a new computer? She's strapped for cash I think.
If this is possible, how much does it cost roughly?

Cheers :)

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
I've got 80gigs, and now i'm down to my last 100 megs....

Damn 1.5mb internet :)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
you could get a 250GB harddrive for about 150$...

anything less in space would be absolute peanuts, you could probably pick up an 80gb drive for free if you ask some friends cause they are so outdated its basically worthless.

HSC
Serius said:
you could get a 250GB harddrive for about 150$...

anything less in space would be absolute peanuts, you could probably pick up an 80gb drive for free if you ask some friends cause they are so outdated its basically worthless.
what store can you get it that cheap?

I'm down to less than 11gb

damn prison break episodes & PC games :)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
WD and Seagate are about the same, and by the time 3 years is up you're gonna be buying terabyte HDD's as standard anyway.

Danoz The Great

HSC
Thanks guys! But I got another question:

I'm just on eBay comparing stuff, anyway I notice three categories: SATA, SCSI, and IDE.

My friend has XP, a desktop, she thinks it's pentium 3 but she's not entirely sure. Does this help in you knowing the correct type of hard drive? If not, what are the major differences between the three so I can talk to her more and work it out?

Thanks!

JhK89

HSC
isnt there a thing where the mother board can only hold a certain amount of spaced HD (if that makes sense o_O)?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
its IDE.

SATA is better in every way, but only the newer computers support it.

nfi what you are talking about, i know motherboards can only support a certain amount of connections, e.g 4 harddrives, but i didnt think there was a limit on the size of the harddrives you use. Maybe really really old motherboards wouldnt register the newer stuff.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
CSI: CRIMES ™ said:
the stores I've been to costs over 250 :mad1:
Then you're an idiot and attending stores run by rip-off merchants.

korrupt samurai

Sneaker Addict
HSC
Well there have been reports on how to increase your Hardrive's capacity. As an a 80gig HDD could have previously been an 150gig, but did not pass tests to qualify as an 150gig HDD ;S well something like that, but this is especially evident in the CPU market.

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/394624/3100888/

&

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14597

I do not in anyway endorse any of this Piracy (AARaGH! Sail ye high Seas of data) and this Unlocking of Hdd Capacity. It is just a alternative suggestion instead of buying a new HDD.
(Use at Own Risks!)

Jack

korrupt samurai

Sneaker Addict
HSC
Well that link was derived from that torrent's description in demonoid. I'm just using Ctrl+C & Ctrl+F.

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Exactly why would someone sell A HDD that has capacity of 500gb and describe it as 200gb or whatever and sell at a cheaper price?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)