how are text msgs charged? (1 Viewer)

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
i recently noticed that i was getting charged 2 or 3 text messages for sending one text. i called up vodafone and they said it was charged on the basis of each page of text. it wasn't always like that. has that happened to anyone else with another phone company or just voda?

Skeeta

HSC
I'm pretty sure it's always been like that.

The old textmessages (think Nokia 5110) only had 160 characters per text. The new phones have the ability to send several "pages" of text, but i'm fairly sure you have always been charged per 160 characters.

(or something like that)

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
yep its 25 or 22 or whatever cents per 160 characters. most phones should have an indicator somewhere on the screen showing how many "pages" the sms contains.

i usually write really long sms so i get charged like 50 or 75c per sms, lolz

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
astounding! never knew that. is there a company which charges per text full stop?

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
SMS is the biggest ripoff in existence. Calling is so much cheaper (in terms of quantity of content per cent)

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
snow in summer said:
astounding! never knew that. is there a company which charges per text full stop?
yes. get one of those really old phones. It only allows you to use 160 characters :p....ignore that!

HSC
N/A
snow in summer said:
i recently noticed that i was getting charged 2 or 3 text messages for sending one text. i called up vodafone and they said it was charged on the basis of each page of text. it wasn't always like that. has that happened to anyone else with another phone company or just voda?
Thats sounds like the way it always has been

sunny

meh.
HSC
snow in summer said:
It is a limitation of SMS. Long messages are just sent as separate messages that are received on your phone and your phone puts it back together. The telco's SMSC doesn't even know that the messages are actually related to each other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)