More computer problems (1 Viewer)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
My computer screen turns off every 5 seconds or so (It is a laptop)

So to get it back on i shut the lid and pull it back up.

Thr wires are fine because when it turns off you can sorta see the screen but it is hard because it has no brightness.

Any help??? It always happens, it isn't brightness or anything because i have checked

timinator1993

HSC
Laptops have like lighting down the bottom, so if those lights are broken the screen basically comes up really dull, is that what you mean?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I mean after 5 sec it just goes blank nothing I wrong for the wiring because you can strain and see but it just goes blank

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Strange.

Have you tried just leaving it there and draining the battery? or just connecting without the battery (power it on, leave the power cord in and remove battery, how long does that last?)

Can you get into bios without the screen going blank after 5 seconds? if you can it's probably an issue with windows and something may have been corrupted (happened to me, I went into bios, stayed on... used linux to boot up and back up my computer then re-formatted windows).

Try downloading puppy linux and running that and getting your important stuff off it, if it lets you boot longer than 5 seconds using it.

If not, it's probably a graphics card/some other hardware issue.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Strange.

Have you tried just leaving it there and draining the battery? or just connecting without the battery (power it on, leave the power cord in and remove battery, how long does that last?)

Can you get into bios without the screen going blank after 5 seconds? if you can it's probably an issue with windows and something may have been corrupted (happened to me, I went into bios, stayed on... used linux to boot up and back up my computer then re-formatted windows).

Try downloading puppy linux and running that and getting your important stuff off it, if it lets you boot longer than 5 seconds using it.

If not, it's probably a graphics card/some other hardware issue.
I have updated all my drivers, so i don;t think it is that.

When the computer is loading everything is fine but when i go to windows/system restore is blanks out

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I have updated all my drivers, so i don;t think it is that.

When the computer is loading everything is fine but when i go to windows/system restore is blanks out
yeah I've had the same issue a year ago on my P4

try booting up with linux and saving your data, then doing a re-format.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Do you reackon it would be best just to reformat windows?

Really isn't the biggest hassle, I wouldn't lose to much and it will probably get rid of all the crap on my computer, but I don't want to do it if it won't fix the problem.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
well I dont really know I'm guessing it's a windows issue (i've had a similar issue before) and the reformatting fixed it... but it could be a hardware issue... that's all I can help you with, sorry :(

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Would it still be a hardware problem since I can watch movies via connecting it to a tv? I don't have trouble when I do

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
how do you do that? so you turn it on and hook it up using hdmi/vga to the tv? and the laptop screen is off but showing on the tv?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
how do you do that? so you turn it on and hook it up using hdmi/vga to the tv? and the laptop screen is off but showing on the tv?
Yes, I can connect via HDMI to a tv and everything is fine because the TV becomes the screen and I can play whatever games/movies i want.

However when it isn't connected to the TV my screen will randomly blank out (Even though i would see the screen for up to a minute before it does)

Basically to say it in a raw sense. I turn on my computer, everything is fine however the screen will blank out very quickly, and to fix it i have to close the lid and pull it back. However it will blank out again shortly after.

I can play games/watch movies fine (I have tested by running it via my tv)

Last edited:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
seems like your screen is probably screwed, maybe buy a new screen? idk, pm harrisony he might be able to help track it down.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
seems like your screen is probably screwed, maybe buy a new screen? idk, pm harrisony he might be able to help track it down.

Its a laptop, so i would really just replace the whole thing

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Its hardware.

My Medion Akoya had massive problems with the backlight.

It was a relationship between a OHing GPU and shitty wiring.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
No.

What laptop.

Is it under warranty.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
It is the dv5 1138tx

I got it 3-4 years ago and it isn't under warranty

Edit it is hp

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)