Thread: DET filtering circumvention!

HSC

Exclamation DET filtering circumvention!

Okay so, after screwing around with school laptops numerous amounts of times, Circumventing things such as the .exe blocking (Simplistic, placing it in a system file and opening from there). Childs play at best. however, trying to gain access to the bios proving difficult, attempting a CMOS restart proving futile. THEN, after a 'mate' attempted to start it up without ALL the hardware connected, Must have either engaged this 'Killswitch' or fried the mainboard (Static Electricity?).
    Anywhom, That was the end of that, after signing out of Year 10. It was conditional that I had handed in all texts books, Assignments, Laptop, etc. I was signed out without handing in a single thing.
    And thanks to the IT guy (who will remain nameless, although I will comment he has a youtube channel in which he films his runescape adventures and does terrible commentary over it including "Do I make you Horny, Baby?") whom does NO record keeping what so ever, I'm putting in a complaint that I haven't recieved my laptop back from him. At best I'll get a new laptop, at worst I'll get told to get stuffed.

Back on topic. I decided to start using my Macbook at school! GOGO UNRESTRICTED LAPTOP! Connecting to the DETNSW router at school, I was able to access the internet by using the set proxy settings (which the IT guy was all so happy to give me after mocking the fact I have a Macbook whilst playing with his iphone?). So using these settings in firefox (which was all too easy to switch back to 'No proxy settings' when on the home network).

So this REALLY got me thinking! After installing the TOR (The Onion Routing network) proxy bundle including the TOR button for Firefox and Vidalia and setting it up, I was on my way using facebook, twitter and also able to research topics without copping 'THIS SITE IS BLOCKED DUE TO DET CENSORSHIP BULLSHIT, YOU CANNOT CHOOSE WHAT YOU WANT TO VIEW!'.

I have had a few bumps along the way, On the 5th (Monday) I encounted an updated certificate which is no problem. AND I ALSO FOUND OUT MY CREDENTIALS EXPIRED! I was wondering why I wasn't connecting, so that was changed and all fixed up.

However, Today Vidalia would not connect. I encountered "the https proxy sent back an unexpected status code 407 "proxy authentication required" closing."

After a whole 'productive day' of attempting to get TOR to connect, I had to give up and use the basic firefox without TOR and DET proxy settings (Censorship, fuckya!).

Can anyone shed some light on this problem? and also share any information, proxy settings, ports, etc?

Tor Control
    'Use TCP connection (Control Port) - Ticked
    Address - 127.0.0.1 - Port - 8080

Use unix domain socket (Control Socket) Unticked)

Path - Blank

Authentication - Password - Blank - Randomly generate ticked.

Run as a client only - Ticked.

I use a proxy to connect to the internet - Ticked.

Address= proxy.det.nsw.edu.au Port (as above) 8080
    Username alex.rogers1 - Password ********
    Type - HTTP / HTTPS

Thanks guys

HSC

Re: DET filtering circumvention!

lol
    all i do is party ha ha ha ha!

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Azamakumar View Post
    lol
    You are not alone in this reaction.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFox View Post
    Last edited by OzKo; 7 Mar 2012 at 11:07 PM.

HSC

To sum it up mate:
    The DET NET is for students to study, not for you go play around on FB, Twitter, etc.
    Either your School Admin, a teachers pet, or the schools inbuilt firewalls has noticed something amiss (TOR doesnt encrypt exiting data packets) and smacked it silly.
    If you want to play around on websites that are not DET Approved, i suggest you invest in a Wireless dongle, or, you know, do it out of school time.

HSC

To sum it up mate:
    The DET NET is for students to study, not for you go play around on FB, Twitter, etc.
    Either your School Admin, a teachers pet, or the schools inbuilt firewalls has noticed something amiss (TOR doesnt encrypt exiting data packets) and smacked it silly.
    If you want to play around on websites that are not DET Approved, i suggest you invest in a Wireless dongle, or, you know, do it out of school time.

So very true!!
    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Science)

Ex HSC student (2012)
    [English Advanced | English Extension 1| English Extension 2| Ancient History| Biology| Chemistry| Music 1]

D94
    HSC
    N/A

I think it's more of a blank stare, thinking 'what the hell?'.....

OP, if you want to do whatever you want to do, buy a portable USB modem and use that instead.
    HSC Raw Marks Database - Band 6 Raw Marks

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by D94 View Post
    I think it's more of a blank stare, thinking 'what the hell?'.....

OP, if you want to do whatever you want to do, buy a portable USB modem and use that instead.
    No no, we are loling.

For different ~mod~ reasons though.

HSC

Yes, because NOT attempting to circumvent a form of censorship is good. Forget choosing what you want to view, The Government knows you better then you do, They know what you can and cannot look at. /Stephen Cuntroy.
    Most of the researching for assignments/in class studies, etc are required to utilise internet facilities (I.e. Google). The problem is though, after finding what seems like a good lot of information, Opening the link shows that it is blocked! Its not JUST for facebook, although in free periods I enjoyed finishing assignments and keeping in contact with others through social networking.

HSC
    I bet.

The DETNET is there for students to study. If you find a link that should be allowed then take it up with your Admin. The DETNET is also actively seeking out circumventions such as your TOR work around. Trust me, we were asked to poke holes into the DETNET.

Your solution is to take it up with your Admin or get a Tafe user account.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by AlexJacksonR View Post
    Yes, because NOT attempting to circumvent a form of censorship is good. Forget choosing what you want to view, The Government knows you better then you do, They know what you can and cannot look at. /Stephen Cuntroy.
    Most of the researching for assignments/in class studies, etc are required to utilise internet facilities (I.e. Google). The problem is though, after finding what seems like a good lot of information, Opening the link shows that it is blocked! Its not JUST for facebook, although in free periods I enjoyed finishing assignments and keeping in contact with others through social networking.
    Lol it's not censorship, it's their network. Get over it :P

HSC

You must have typed your username and password wrong into Tor

HSC
    Old thread, I know, but Tor is still fully functional but if you wait out the error messages, it will connect to the Tor network...

HSC

lol brah, i guess ur admin had cancelled ur account and u cant log on.

HSC

I am trying to figure it out... succeed in my android phone, but couldn't get in my laptop... I tried usb internet sharing from my android phone, but it's too slow.I am trying tor browser, I am not going to give up. Good news is I did it in my android.
    E-mail: Friendlybibek@gmail.com

send me email if you found some solutions. Thanks, we are on the same page, I am little behind.

Thread Information