Office 365 for iPad (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Not sure if anyone else here has tried it (either the free app or the paid subscription version) but I have been using the free version for the past few weeks on my iPad Air with a keyboard and wow, it's amazing. Genuinely see this potentially replacing my laptop in a lot of circumstances as I can finally properly edit complex Word/Excel/Powerpoint files, take decent notes/edits, change formatting, use track changes/comments, etc... in a familiar interface. I liked it enough to even cough up the $87 to buy the one year subscription to unlock it although I'm yet to hit any of the freemium limitations.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
I just bought a Windows surface 2 yesterday. It's amazing!

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Not sure if anyone else here has tried it (either the free app or the paid subscription version) but I have been using the free version for the past few weeks on my iPad Air with a keyboard and wow, it's amazing. Genuinely see this potentially replacing my laptop in a lot of circumstances as I can finally properly edit complex Word/Excel/Powerpoint files, take decent notes/edits, change formatting, use track changes/comments, etc... in a familiar interface. I liked it enough to even cough up the $87 to buy the one year subscription to unlock it although I'm yet to hit any of the freemium limitations.

But isn't it just like Google docs and google spreadsheet ?.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Really !, how is it ?

I am thinking to get something similar for next year.
Would recommend, 9/10. I bought it for school. The only expensive part for the surface is the keyboard, costing around $150 non-negotiable (owned by Microsoft)

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Would recommend, 9/10. I bought it for school. The only expensive part for the surface is the keyboard, costing around $150 non-negotiable (owned by Microsoft)
But don't you think it's a bit too expensive for a tablet with such a low memory (I think it was 128GB).

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
But don't you think it's a bit too expensive for a tablet with such a low memory (I think it was 128GB).
Yeah you gotta keep that in mind. I'm getting a 32gb usb soon so I hope that helps a little or you can go all in and purchase a external hd, there quite small these days and can virtually fit in anywhere.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah you gotta keep that in mind. I'm getting a 32gb usb soon so I hope that helps a little or you can go all in and purchase a external hd, there quite small these days and can virtually fit in anywhere.
Hmm, that's true..

My cousin got one and his telling me to get one as well and I am like "will you be willing to pay for it".

Congrats on the new purchase

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Hmm, that's true..

My cousin got one and his telling me to get one as well and I am like "will you be willing to pay for it".

Congrats on the new purchase
Thanks bro, does your cousin like it?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think Office on tablets is an amazing preposition and makes a consumer device that much more useful.

I've played around with the Surface 3 Pro a bit as there are some at work which people are using but it feels a bit fragile to me for day to day use as a laptop replacement especially for a uni student. If you need the stylus though or the full fledged Windows experience, it's a pretty good combination as long as you don't mind the price.

I'd bet that an iPad (yes I'm an Apple fan) has now become a much better tool for a university student particularly as there are so many discounts available (educational discount on both the iPad and Microsoft Office 365). I'd even go as far to say that if a student had a desktop or old laptop at home which wasn't particularly great for bringing to uni whether due to battery life, weight/portability, etc..., I'd say my iPad with portable keyboard would be a perfect fit for a Commerce student (or any other faculty which doesn't require a lot of drawing/equations).

FYI I'm using a Logitech K480 keyboard which is a bit on the heavy side at 800g but it sits on my desk at work and I carry it as needed, and can flick the switch on the left to choose between my work laptop (which is in a stand), my iPad which is usually in front of me and my iPhone (the last one was just to make use of the three Bluetooth slots).

For Christmas I bought my gf an iPad Air 2 and the Logitech Type+ keyboard case which is heaps lighter, but then on the other hand, isn't as flexible as an actual external keyboard which I can move around or leave behind if I want (or connect to multiple devices).

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
I reckon the Microsoft Surface 2 is an excellent device for a Senior high school student. The price, weight and functionality of the device its self is excellent, but of course it's not better than the Surface 3 it's newest rival. But again, it's value for money, as I got the last device in probably the region (everywhere was sold out, even display models) due to a clearance sale and price matched it Harvey Norman for $298, accessories like keyboards and other things not included and I had to purchase those for a lot of money since they are a Microsoft only product. To anyone looking to buy any of the Surface products, I wouldn't go past one without having a feel of it for myself.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I reckon the Microsoft Surface 2 is an excellent device for a Senior high school student. The price, weight and functionality of the device its self is excellent, but of course it's not better than the Surface 3 it's newest rival. But again, it's value for money, as I got the last device in probably the region (everywhere was sold out, even display models) due to a clearance sale and price matched it Harvey Norman for $298, accessories like keyboards and other things not included and I had to purchase those for a lot of money since they are a Microsoft only product. To anyone looking to buy any of the Surface products, I wouldn't go past one without having a feel of it for myself.
Do you find the Windows RT to be limiting in the usefulness of the device? I have to admit that's the thing which turned me away from non-Pro Surface tablets.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Do you find the Windows RT to be limiting in the usefulness of the device? I have to admit that's the thing which turned me away from non-Pro Surface tablets.
Yep, I have. The only downside is that you can't download any software off the internet, which is a bugger. Microsoft's mandatory place for downloading is at its pre-installed 'Microsoft Store'. You can only download things which are in there, if it's not, then GG.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Here's an example of how it looks when using Word with a keyboard in the comfort of a cafe sipping an overpriced coffee.

How satisfying? It made me chuckle like an old man in a rocking chair.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
How satisfying? It made me chuckle like an old man in a rocking chair.
Not sure if you are working full time yet but it's amazing how nice it feels to sit in a cafe to review work on an iPad rather than sitting at a desk in my office where I can't sit there without being interrupted every few mins.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Not sure if you are working full time yet but it's amazing how nice it feels to sit in a cafe to review work on an iPad rather than sitting at a desk in my office where I can't sit there without being interrupted every few mins.
I'm in my senior years of high school. It says Singapore on your location, do you go there for family, work or...??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)