What laptop and hard drive should I get? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Laptop
Since I want something that's light-weight to bring around, should I just get a MacBook air?
I would want a tablet/ ipad but buy a keypad separately, however there's no USB ports. That means I have to get those USB connector accessory.
What laptop do you know of that's light weight and I wouldn't really know of?

Hard drive
Yay finally one terabytes!

These are $99 on sale I think
Are there any negatives to this type?

CaptainPrice

HSC
For the HDD, WD is generally pretty good brand, just make sure to buy a USB 3.0 one (USB 2.0 is outdated by now, relatively crappy speeds).

I remember getting my Samsung 2tb slim for $80, but that was a sale haha - a 1tb should last you a long time (for general uses: photos, videos, movies, music, work etc)

If you're cool with Mac OS and the price, then get the air, again for general purposes it should last you fine.

And always, in the future, note down WHAT you'll be USING particular devices for, I think another Boser asked a similar question without any info on what they were planning to USE said devices for.

LOL, if you get a HP, dat overheating - you won't be living up to your name, SNOWflake ;)

HSC
For the HDD, WD is generally pretty good brand, just make sure to buy a USB 3.0 one (USB 2.0 is outdated by now, relatively crappy speeds).

I remember getting my Samsung 2tb slim for $80, but that was a sale haha - a 1tb should last you a long time (for general uses: photos, videos, movies, music, work etc)

If you're cool with Mac OS and the price, then get the air, again for general purposes it should last you fine.

And always, in the future, note down WHAT you'll be USING particular devices for, I think another Boser asked a similar question without any info on what they were planning to USE said devices for.

LOL, if you get a HP, dat overheating - you won't be living up to your name, SNOWflake ;)
Hahaha ok
2tb! That's a great deal!
What I'm using it for? I'm no tech expert so assume general uses. Laptop- internet, Microsoft office, whatever laptops have now lol
hard drives- to save stuff
?? well I'm really missing out on the tech knowledge :/

CaptainPrice

HSC
Hahaha ok
2tb! That's a great deal!
What I'm using it for? I'm no tech expert so assume general uses. Laptop- internet, Microsoft office, whatever laptops have now lol
hard drives- to save stuff
?? well I'm really missing out on the tech knowledge :/
hmm, do you already have a desktop? Is the laptop's concept of portability the main thing you're looking for?

Your uses seem to be very light, so light that I would also recommend checking out your other option - tablet/bluetooth keyboard.

AND LOL, don't worry about usb ports!

You can easily transfer stuff across devices through dropbox, google drive (just think of it as a virtual USB) etc

And I'm sure Microsoft Office on the iPad is integrated with Skydrive (Microsoft's equivalent of dropbox), hence any documents you edit on a desktop should show up on your iPad (provided you have the proper settings for it).

Could you perhaps elaborate what you'll be transferring via usb to your laptop? Since that seems to be your main qualm with using a tablet/keyboard combo haha

HSC
hmm, do you already have a desktop? Is the laptop's concept of portability the main thing you're looking for?

Your uses seem to be very light, so light that I would also recommend checking out your other option - tablet/bluetooth keyboard.

AND LOL, don't worry about usb ports!

You can easily transfer stuff across devices through dropbox, google drive (just think of it as a virtual USB) etc

And I'm sure Microsoft Office on the iPad is integrated with Skydrive (Microsoft's equivalent of dropbox), hence any documents you edit on a desktop should show up on your iPad (provided you have the proper settings for it).

Could you perhaps elaborate what you'll be transferring via usb to your laptop? Since that seems to be your main qualm with using a tablet/keyboard combo haha
nah I have chunky laptops that are too heavy to carry and some tablets that have the only purpose of getting on the internet
The thing is, I might not have wifi to upload and it takes time for some documents to upload
I need usb ports to use a portable mouse and for people to give me documents from their hard drive/ usb

Get a macbook pro
not compact enough when travelling though

CaptainPrice

HSC
nah I have chunky laptops that are too heavy to carry and some tablets that have the only purpose of getting on the internet
The thing is, I might not have wifi to upload and it takes time for some documents to upload
I need usb ports to use a portable mouse and for people to give me documents from their hard drive/ usb

I haven't used a usb in two years haha, my WiFi isn't particularly fast either

How about testing the waters by uploading a document now and see how it goes?

If that doesn't work then the MacBook air is best for you

CaptainPrice

HSC
so you don't use usb ports at all? How about wireless mice?

what's the comparison?
I meant usb flashdrives, and nah, I use a wired mouse haha

Generally SSDs are MUCH faster than HDD's which mainly helps with game loadup times, they will be little use for your needs - stick with a portable HDD. SSDs go for around $160 to $200 for 200gbs.

Essentially, Asstro is pretty much trolling you haha

HSC
I meant usb flashdrives, and nah, I use a wired mouse haha

Generally SSDs are MUCH faster than HDD's which mainly helps with game loadup times, they will be little use for your needs - stick with a portable HDD. SSDs go for around $160 to $200 for 200gbs.

Essentially, Asstro is pretty much trolling you haha
yeah usb as in using the usb port. Lol portable mice have the usb thing too
Were you implying he's an ass?

QZP

HSC
Laptop
Since I want something that's light-weight to bring around, should I just get a MacBook air?
I would want a tablet/ ipad but buy a keypad separately, however there's no USB ports. That means I have to get those USB connector accessory.
What laptop do you know of that's light weight and I wouldn't really know of?

Hard drive
Yay finally one terabytes!

These are $99 on sale I think
Are there any negatives to this type?
Answering your questions chronologically:

1. If you want a lightweight laptop, look into ultrabooks (a brand name for thin laptops such as macbooks). All ultrabooks are quite expensive, however the main benefit over regular laptops is portability (lightweight) and battery life. I'm using a Dell XPS 13 2015 (bought with a 15%-off coupon).
2. I'm confused because you say you want a tablet with an attachable keyboard but then you ask for laptop suggestions?
3. If you NEED an external hard drive (in the case where your laptop hard drive doesn't suffice), then any usb 3.0 one from a reputable company would be fine.

CaptainPrice

HSC
yeah usb as in using the usb port. Lol portable mice have the usb thing too
Were you implying he's an ass?
Yeah, I know (I use desktop tho)

But I thought you were coming from the context of you considering a tablet or so? If so, mice are irrelevant haha

I'm IMPLYING he's an ass and I'M PRYING open his ass ;)

HAHA ^ (best one I've done LOL)

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Trying not to hijack the thread but what would you guys recommend for good lightweight/portable laptop for uni work (commerce)? 1k budget and not a macbook.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
100 bucks you haven't seen one irl. Pre much essentially the same thickness as the air. Like the back of the base is the same height except on the air this narrows down. So its only like 1cm difference. And the air is only 250g lighter.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Trying not to hijack the thread but what would you guys recommend for good lightweight/portable laptop for uni work (commerce)? 1k budget and not a macbook.
What's wrong with a macbook?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)