Macbook Air vs Pro for University? (1 Viewer)

Sherlock

HSC
N/A
I'm wondering which laptop would be more ideal for uni: Macbook Air or Macbook Pro for a Media/Law student at Sydney Uni?

Silly Sausage

HSC
If you need to do lots of heavy rendering work then you should get the Pro, otherwise for taking down notes etc. you only need the Air (great battery life, more portable + cheaper)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Do you think you will actually be using the better hardware and specs on the Pro? If not (which I suspect), go with the lighter option which is more portable whe running between classes. If you can wait until March 9, you can see if they do end up releasing refreshed MacBook air models for 2015.

Oh and there are plenty of places to charge your laptop at uni but the challenge is whether or not it will be where you are (ie in the classroom or lecture theatre). Newer uni buildings usually have more power points in their classrooms but in some places (eg law library at unsw when I was there), power points weren't as common as one would have liked. Hence better all day battery life is important.

Verify

HSC
Do you think you will actually be using the better hardware and specs on the Pro? If not (which I suspect), go with the lighter option which is more portable whe running between classes. If you can wait until March 9, you can see if they do end up releasing refreshed MacBook air models for 2015.

Oh and there are plenty of places to charge your laptop at uni but the challenge is whether or not it will be where you are (ie in the classroom or lecture theatre). Newer uni buildings usually have more power points in their classrooms but in some places (eg law library at unsw when I was there), power points weren't as common as one would have liked. Hence better all day battery life is important.
I'm thinking of waiting until the new Macbook Air comes out. Will the new ones be the same price as the current ones when get released?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm thinking of waiting until the new Macbook Air comes out. Will the new ones be the same price as the current ones when get released?
You don't need a MacBook Air , just a standard laptop....

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
No one knows for sure but I doubt it'll be significantly different unless there's totally new models vs refreshes (spec upgrades).

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
One could say you also don't even need a laptop at all. It's all for convenience and style.
Pre much ^

There are computers at uni, and if people are typing notes , an iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard is sufficient

Better yet, if you are an writer, just write

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I actually just posted quite a detailed comment on another site regarding how happy I am with my workflow now using an iPad Air 2 with Microsoft office 365 (I believe it's free for uni students too now!) and my Logitech Keys to Go keyboard which is very very slim and light. Unlike a keyboard case this is a separate keyboard which means I don't need to have one table to sit and use it at and can type on my lap (particularly useful if you need to share your screen with someone such as when editing a presentation). This combination is both smaller and lighter than any laptop. With 4G too, I'm never not online.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)