Laptop Keys Aren't Working (1 Viewer)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
It's a HP Pavilion.

l, o, 9 and full stop keys ain't working.

What can I do before seeking technical help?

Tried restarting already.

hypermax

HSC
N/A
does your pavillion overheat?

(not associated with the keyboard problem)

Try the following.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery. Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds. Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to see if this will launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu. Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys ( assuming they work in this menu ) to select 'Yes' and hit enter. Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

(got that from the hp website)

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
M9 that only means one thing....

Look at my investigation....

Loominarty confirmed.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
It's a HP Pavilion.

l, o, 9 and full stop keys ain't working.

What can I do before seeking technical help?

Tried restarting already.
i see your problem

> compsci major

how were you able to type that if your keyboard wasn't working?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
have you tried turning it off and on again ?
yes

i see your problem

> compsci major

how were you able to type that if your keyboard wasn't working?
on-screen keyboard

Try the following.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery. Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds. Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to see if this will launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu. Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys ( assuming they work in this menu ) to select 'Yes' and hit enter. Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Yeah, it heats up pretty easily nowadays.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
For some reason reading the title I said to myself... why would someone need keys for their laptop? Like house keys or something.

Anyway, there's a lot of things that come up when googling.

"Shut down the laptop, removed battery and cable for a moment, press and hold the start button for 60 seconds... and replace the battery.. start the lap top.. if that does not work a technician is a must."

Try following the steps here as well:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product...ries/5048672/model/5078498/document/c03843122

If all doesn't work then it must be a physical / technical issue that you probably cannot fix yourself.

But try checking under the keys for anything wedged in there - by taking off the keys. Just be careful not to loose anything if things fall apart.

Try the following.

Just found out that the f10 key is dead.

I tried uninstalling the keyboard and restarting like the HP website suggested and didn't work.

Looks like I'll have to live with the on screen keyboard for now.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Just found out that the f10 key is dead.

I tried uninstalling the keyboard and restarting like the HP website suggested and didn't work.

Looks like I'll have to live with the on screen keyboard for now.
Try turning on/off toggle keys..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)