Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 42 of 42
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Keyboards

  1. #26
    Junior Member parad0xica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    204
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Keyboards

    Quote Originally Posted by anomalousdecay View Post
    I thought this was related to ZF set theory for a sec

  2. #27
    Junior Member seremify007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Uni Grad
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,728
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Keyboards

    Quote Originally Posted by anomalousdecay View Post
    It's alright. My WPM improved a tiny bit.

    Ergonomics are awesome.

    I still bash the keys though which is bad.

    Most annoying thing is that it's keys end up roughly one column thinner in total compared to most keyboards publically used so as soon as I use a different keyboard, all my typing is incorrect for the first 5 minutes of use.
    I find it interesting when people get these huge variations when changing keyboards in their WPM whereas I think I'm largely consistent as long as I'm not on a crap netbook sized keybord (Dell Mini 9 anyone - but even that I was still able to get to around 90-100wpm). I really should try and study my typing behaviour more to see if I can improve further but I'm also worried about RSI (not that anyone seems to talk about it anymore!).

    2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

    Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

  3. #28
    Premium Member anomalousdecay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,797
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Keyboards

    My WPM is something in the 70s. However in a 15 second burst, I can definitely get over 100 WPM. I'm just not that consistent because my fingers don't follow the suggested method.

  4. #29
    Junior Member seremify007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Uni Grad
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,728
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Keyboards

    I think for me the thing which helped the most was those split ergonomic keyboards which force you to use the correct hand to type. In fact, this is the exact keyboard I used for nearly a decade (Cirque Wave with the trackpad) before I replaced it with a Logitech one which was much smaller and had the letters visible on the keys (which have also since faded away to black).

    Kolmias likes this.

    2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

    Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

  5. #30
    Premium Member anomalousdecay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,797
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Keyboards

    I'm fine with middle letters. It's mainly the outskirt letters where I use one finger over or something like that. Sometimes I use the correct finger but sometimes I use the next one over.

    That keyboard wouldn't help my case much.
    Last edited by anomalousdecay; 26 Apr 2016 at 6:13 AM.

  6. #31
    Junior Member seremify007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Uni Grad
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,728
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Keyboards

    Quote Originally Posted by anomalousdecay View Post
    I'm fine with middle letters. It's mainly the outskirt letters where I use one finger over or something like that. Sometimes I use the correct finger but sometimes I use the next one over.

    That keyboard wouldn't help my case much.
    Have you tried forcing your fingers to use the correct ones? That being said looking at the way I type now, I overuse my 4th fingers rather than 5th for the outskirt letters - I usually save my 5th fingers for modifier keys (ctrl/shift/etc). I even sometimes overuse my third finger to cover both the "w" and "e" column on the left side and on the right, I let my fourth finger do "o" column.

    2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

    Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

  7. #32
    D94
    D94 is offline
    Ancient Orator D94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,440
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Keyboards

    WPM isn't as important as knowing what to type vs how fast you can type.
    HSC Raw Marks Database - Band 6 Raw Marks

  8. #33
    Premium Member anomalousdecay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,797
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Keyboards

    Quote Originally Posted by seremify007 View Post
    Have you tried forcing your fingers to use the correct ones? That being said looking at the way I type now, I overuse my 4th fingers rather than 5th for the outskirt letters - I usually save my 5th fingers for modifier keys (ctrl/shift/etc). I even sometimes overuse my third finger to cover both the "w" and "e" column on the left side and on the right, I let my fourth finger do "o" column.
    Yeah I do pretty much the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by D94 View Post
    WPM isn't as important as knowing what to type vs how fast you can type.
    This too. I'm happy with bursts of fast typing because I usually am able to think of what to type in a decent burst.

  9. #34
    Premium Member anomalousdecay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,797
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Keyboards

    Also the NKRO claim on the strix tactic pro is false over USB. Maximum I can get is 6KRO through USB.

  10. #35
    Junior Member seremify007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Uni Grad
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,728
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Keyboards

    Quote Originally Posted by D94 View Post
    WPM isn't as important as knowing what to type vs how fast you can type.
    Typically the bottleneck or constraint is whether the device I'm typing on can keep up with me... but then maybe I've just mastered the art of writing a lot.

    EDIT: I would note that when I'm trying to write something very careful and deliberate (e.g. a Board report), I end up doing better writing with pen and paper.

    2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

    Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

  11. #36
    D94
    D94 is offline
    Ancient Orator D94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,440
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Keyboards

    Quote Originally Posted by seremify007 View Post
    Typically the bottleneck or constraint is whether the device I'm typing on can keep up with me... but then maybe I've just mastered the art of writing a lot.

    EDIT: I would note that when I'm trying to write something very careful and deliberate (e.g. a Board report), I end up doing better writing with pen and paper.
    A bottleneck within an inefficient process might not actually be a bottleneck when compared to the entire process (of writing in this case).

    Time spent planning, understanding and perfecting what you want to write > Time spent actually typing.

    If you do happen to think and type exactly what you want (i.e. no change, no editing) from start to finish, then sure, the bottleneck is indeed the device.
    HSC Raw Marks Database - Band 6 Raw Marks

  12. #37
    Junior Member seremify007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Uni Grad
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,728
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Keyboards

    Quote Originally Posted by D94 View Post
    A bottleneck within an inefficient process might not actually be a bottleneck when compared to the entire process (of writing in this case).

    Time spent planning, understanding and perfecting what you want to write > Time spent actually typing.

    If you do happen to think and type exactly what you want (i.e. no change, no editing) from start to finish, then sure, the bottleneck is indeed the device.
    Most of the time I'm not just writing reports though but editing other peoples' documents/reports... what slows me down is when Word takes a while to catch up, or something else causes the computer to not be responsive to my typing and I sit there staring blankly at the cursor despite knowing I'd just chucked a lot of words at it.

    ps. Just thought I'd try typera.net again and got 665cpm/133 wpm on a Surface keyboard.

    2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

    Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

  13. #38
    Junior Member seremify007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Uni Grad
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,728
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Keyboards

    I just tried again and got 679cpm (135wpm) on a portable Lenovo keyboard.

    2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

    Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

  14. #39
    D94
    D94 is offline
    Ancient Orator D94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,440
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Keyboards

    Quote Originally Posted by seremify007 View Post
    Most of the time I'm not just writing reports though but editing other peoples' documents/reports... what slows me down is when Word takes a while to catch up, or something else causes the computer to not be responsive to my typing and I sit there staring blankly at the cursor despite knowing I'd just chucked a lot of words at it.

    ps. Just thought I'd try typera.net again and got 665cpm/133 wpm on a Surface keyboard.
    Well that's a bit different to you being so fast that the PC can't keep up - you are describing your PC being too slow to even perform ordinary Word functions, i.e. it's an old PC or a low spec PC. I have no doubt that if you were on my PC, you wouldn't have this issue.
    HSC Raw Marks Database - Band 6 Raw Marks

  15. #40
    Junior Member seremify007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Uni Grad
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,728
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Keyboards

    Quote Originally Posted by D94 View Post
    Well that's a bit different to you being so fast that the PC can't keep up - you are describing your PC being too slow to even perform ordinary Word functions, i.e. it's an old PC or a low spec PC. I have no doubt that if you were on my PC, you wouldn't have this issue.
    ok.

    2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

    Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

  16. #41
    Junior Member seremify007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Uni Grad
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,728
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Keyboards

    Finally decided to try a mechanical keyboard to go with my Cooler Master Ergo laptop stand. Didn't realise how thick the Logitech G710+ keyboard cable would be as I measured to make sure it would fit with palm rest on my shallow desk but alas can't fit palm rest.

    Need to play some CSGO before I can report on it!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nailgun likes this.

    2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

    Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

  17. #42
    Junior Member seremify007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Uni Grad
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,728
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Keyboards

    Holy smokes, mechanical keyboards really do lead to faster typing results!

    1_141_706_0_0_136_0_99_283_92474.png

    Second attempt:
    Visit the Typing Test and try!

    Third attempt:
    Visit the Typing Test and try!
    Last edited by seremify007; 23 May 2016 at 12:33 AM.

    2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

    Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •