MacBook Air or Pro? (1 Viewer)

mollytee

HSC
Hi, I'll be in year 11 next year and I'm trying to decide between the MacBook Air or Pro 13". I've always thought the Air would be my best bet but I asked my IST teacher yesterday and she explained how it depends on the subjects you're taking. The only course I'm taking where I may need to create something would be Drama or Ext 2 English in year 12, where I would make a short film or something. I've always loved graphic design and photography but I happen to be too lazy to take them up seriously. I'd love to master the Adobe creative suite in the future but honestly I have no experience. Would something like photoshop run smoothly on an Air?

If I was to get a MacBook I'd be using it for essays, notes, lots of music, movies and photos and occasional video editing/photography. I love the portability of the Air but I also love the Retina display/performance on the Pro (good for watching movies) Keeping in mind that I probably won't use the Pro for anything like heavy editing or design since I only have an interest in those things, which laptop would you recommend for me? I might take it to school with me occasionally but other than that I'd probably take my IPad Air on other days. Any advice would be much appreciated x

astroman

HSC
i have a macbook pro and it runs Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and after effects fine. Although, it is very expensive and i would rather of had spent the money on a cheap laptop for school and spent the bulk of the money building a much more powerful desktop with much better specs. Anyway's what is your budget? Apple products don't offer best value for money and you would be better spending $1500 on something much more powerful.

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC
Just so you know, you could take any portable laptop to school. Performance doesn't really matter. I mean, you don't need HIGH performance for school.

Do you have a computer already at home?

I would be getting the most portable laptop I could get for school, and you'll probably use it for uni as well. So I would go for the air. The latest MacBooks, air or not, all will be pretty good performance already. And that means yes you'll be able to run all the Adobe products if you want to.

I have a pretty shitty desktop computer which specs are actually way worse than my laptop and it runs all Adobe products fine.

mollytee

HSC
i have a macbook pro and it runs Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and after effects fine. Although, it is very expensive and i would rather of had spent the money on a cheap laptop for school and spent the bulk of the money building a much more powerful desktop with much better specs. Anyway's what is your budget? Apple products don't offer best value for money and you would be better spending $1500 on something much more powerful.
Thanks for your reply. The Adobe programs aren't really necessities for me. Even though I've never owned a MacBook, I happen to really love them after using them a few times and think they would fit me best. I don't really have a budget right now.

astroman

HSC
Thanks for your reply. The Adobe programs aren't really necessities for me. Even though I've never owned a MacBook, I happen to really love them after using them a few times and think they would fit me best. I don't really have a budget right now.
any laptop will satisfy your needs then.

mollytee

HSC
Just so you know, you could take any portable laptop to school. Performance doesn't really matter. I mean, you don't need HIGH performance for school.

Do you have a computer already at home?

I would be getting the most portable laptop I could get for school, and you'll probably use it for uni as well. So I would go for the air. The latest MacBooks, air or not, all will be pretty good performance already. And that means yes you'll be able to run all the Adobe products if you want to.

I have a pretty shitty desktop computer which specs are actually way worse than my laptop and it runs all Adobe products fine.

I don't have a computer at home. I use my iPad for school work.

I heard that video editing and the Adobe programs don't run very well on the Airs. That's what made me change my mind alongside the Retina display but other than that I had the same opinion about portability. Thanks for replying :)

astroman

HSC
OP, once you see a retina you don't want to go back to normal 1080p displays, your only other better option would be 4k monitors

mollytee

HSC
Honestly I feel like I wasn't clear enough. I want my laptop to be able to handle light video editing/creative stuff. Would the Air be sufficient or should I go with the Pro?

astroman

HSC
Honestly I feel like I wasn't clear and I may be confusing some of you. I want my laptop to be able to handle light video editing/creative stuff. Would the Air be sufficient or should I go with the Pro?
the air would be enough.

astroman

HSC
but once again, the laptop is way over priced for what your getting. (justmy2cents)

astroman

HSC
I'm a huge Apple fan but what would you recommend then?
there are lots to choose from, search on youtube and you will get thousands of videos, but something that is popular:
Asus Zenbook UX305

Flop21

HSC
Honestly I feel like I wasn't clear enough. I want my laptop to be able to handle light video editing/creative stuff. Would the Air be sufficient or should I go with the Pro?
Yes. We aren't talking about a $300 second hand computer here. We are talking about a 2015 (assuming you get the latest, even older models will be fine) $1,200+ laptop, and you would want to bloody hope it could run light video editing / creative stuff.

I would recommend the air.

You need to look at the specifications of the laptop, that's what matters.

Looking at the air 13", running Photoshop would be a breeze. Video editing is a bit more demanding, but to be honest it should be fine as well.

Flop21

HSC
Yes. We aren't talking about a $300 second hand computer here. We are talking about a 2015 (assuming you get the latest, even older models will be fine) $1,200+ laptop, and you would want to bloody hope it could run light video editing / creative stuff.

Looking at the air 13", running Photoshop would be a breeze. Video editing is a bit more demanding, but to be honest it should be fine as well.

mollytee

HSC

I only asked because I done some research which led me to the idea that the Air wasn't as compatible with those programs. Thanks.

astroman

HSC
I only asked because I done some research which led me to the idea that the Air wasn't as compatible with those programs. Thanks.
basically you wan't at least 4GB ram and a SSD to run Adobe programme's at good levels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)