Need help buying a good printer (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I'm looking for a printer that doesn't cut out half of the words on the bottom of the page, and maybe also wireless. Budget around 0-$200.

turntaker

HSC
I'd suggest a brother monochrome laser printer. They print with no problem and cost 150-200 . mine is wireless and does double sided printing automatically.

So yeah if you dont plan on printing colour, buy that.

turntaker

HSC
Canon pixma printers are pree g

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Canon printers are terrible.

Well from previous experiences anyway.

Last edited:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I'd suggest a brother monochrome laser printer. They print with no problem and cost 150-200 . mine is wireless and does double sided printing automatically.

So yeah if you dont plan on printing colour, buy that.
I do plan on printing in colour, doesn't that printer do that?

astroman

HSC
tbh I'd worry more about the budget for ink as opposed to a printer, pretty much any printer under $200 will have wifi, and your other problem with the words being cut out is just your formatting.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Brother HL-3170CDW gets the most sales for people looking for a colour multifunction laser at the officeworks store I work in. Toner is reasonably priced, too.

Let me know if you are going to buy anything from officeworks, I could probably help you out to a discount through the price match + 5% price beat guarantee. I'm the one who authorises them at my store so I know which sites are accepted etc.
Is toner basically another name for ink cartridge but for laser printers?

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Toner/Ink/Cartridge are the same.

But yes, toner is more directed towards laser printer's.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Laser printers use toner, inkjets use ink. Both come in cartridges.

Toners are more expensive upfront, usually starting by $40 - $20. However, the average toner holds ~1200 pages in it. The average ink cartridge is about 150 - 200. Priced per page, using toner is more than 4x cheaper (roughly 21c per page vs 5-7 cents per page). Some toner cartridges hold up to 15000 pages in them and go as low as 2 - 3 cents a page.

Funnily (and most importantly for you to understand), despite the massive cost difference above, the main reason people save on purchasing toners as opposed to ink cartridges is because toners cannot and do not dry up. Very rarely does someone get the expected 150 - 200 pages per inkjet cartridge guarantee because after printing a few dozen pages the ink just dries up after being idle for a while.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Mostly I just love talking about printers. printergasm.jpg
Isn't there a laser printer that can print both black and colour but with one toner for each? What I mean is that there is only a black toner and a colour toner. Because I tried looking for a colour toner but I found a magenta toner and a cyan toner and I was confused lol.

EDIY: Don't know how "laser printer" was hyperlinked by itself.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Isn't there a laser printer that can print both black and colour but with one toner for each? What I mean is that there is only a black toner and a colour toner. Because I tried looking for a colour toner but I found a magenta toner and a cyan toner and I was confused lol.

EDIY: Don't know how "laser printer" was hyperlinked by itself.
Printers require multiple colours to print in colour

you need a yellow, cyan and a magenta toner to print colour
you only need a black one for b/w though

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Is it possible to get a printer which can laminate, print, photocopy and scan all for you? (preferably a cheap one)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I'm looking to buy a wireless printer because I can't print out from my macbook that's connected to a windows pc on a network. For some reasons wireless printers don't come with USB cables and my current wired printer has a USB cable [obviously]. So firstly, is this USB cable specific to my wired printer only or it can work with any other printer? Secondly, if it can work with any other printer, what are good wireless printers I should look into?

Flop21

HSC
I'm looking to buy a wireless printer because I can't print out from my macbook that's connected to a windows pc on a network. For some reasons wireless printers don't come with USB cables and my current wired printer has a USB cable [obviously]. So firstly, is this USB cable specific to my wired printer only or it can work with any other printer? Secondly, if it can work with any other printer, what are good wireless printers I should look into?
They don't come with a cable (dumb) but most have the port for it. It should be universal, you can google them with simply "printer USB cable".

Else just buy one. Max $15.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I personally just use an Epson Workforce WF3530 printer. Got it cheap from ARC a while ago with wireless printing and Airprint support (useful for people with iOS devices). No USB cable needed since it's connected onto my wireless network. I chose it because it also had an automatic document feeder (useful for when I need to scan a marked up document), and the iPhone app also supported scanning/emailing PDF/etc. Added feature is also Google printing from the cloud support, and it can scan direct to Dropbox/email. I'm a fan of the two paper trays as well as manual feeder on the back. The colour LCD panel, touch panel buttons and printing photos from the SD card/USB are nice to have too.

Presumably there's a newer version of the WF-3530 now but mine is still going strong. Back when I bought it, it was $150.

So to sum up though just have a think about what features you want as there's quite a lot of features nowadays!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)