Surface 3 (1 Viewer)

suwag

HSC
Hey, I'm thinking of getting the Surface 3 (non pro) with 128GB storage and 4GB RAM but I don't know how I feel about the keyboard. It seems a bit small to get comfortable with since I will be using it a lot. Does anyone have any experience with it or suggest any other good 2 in 1 laptop alternatives for around a similar price?

Thanks

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Officeworks has their laptops on display so if they have surface on sale you can try it out and see how it feels. People on BoS will probably tell you that the surface is better and you won't be disappointed.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Check out my thread previously on this: http://community.boredofstudies.org/123/technology/336945/microsoft-surface-3-not-pro.html

I used to have a Surface 3 4gb/128gb and the Type Cover/Pen. It was great. I did make some typos on the keyboard because of the nature of the keys being close together but it was far superior to say using a sub 10" netbook/laptop where the keys are very cramped. I learnt to type a bit slower than usual (I average 130-150wpm usually) and that improved accuracy a lot. Keyboard wasn't as good as my 11" Macbook Air (which is quite old now) but given how light/portable the whole package was and it ran Windows 10 out of the box, and it was an easy choice to recommend. I also previously had an Asus T100TA (the Transformer book) but it was crap. Keyboard was cramped, tablet itself was ugly and the display was uninspiring to use- and it had the last gen Bay Trail Intel Atom cpu compared to the Cherry Trail in the Surface 3. I chose the T100TA over the Acer Aspire Switch which was around the same price point back then - but I think there are now newer models and slightly bigger 2-in-1's for 11" (i.e. same size as Surface 3) but these are still largely plastic affairs.

That being said, despite loving the Surface 3, I sold it to buy the Surface Pro 4 (which was actually more than double the price) so I could play some more games on it and use the bigger screen, but I do miss the convenience of micro USB charging.

If you're looking to buy make sure you get student discount - from memory Microsoft was even offering 15% off if you order online from them at some point and use your uni email address.

FYI this is the Asus T100 that I used to have > http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-transformer-book-t100/

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)