Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: MacBook Pro vs ???? (Is there better for uni)?

HSC
    N/A

MacBook Pro vs ???? (Is there better for uni)?

Is there a better macbook than the MacBook Pro (with Retina Display) 128GB for uni and is required for general stuff e.g. browsing enter, typing up documents (these are done simultaneously most of the time), watching videos, etc. Is 128 GB enough? Weight is not a factor, so is there a better macbook? Air?

HSC

Re: MacBook Pro vs ???? (Is there better for uni)?

Better macbook is any laptop that is not a macbook
    i1337 and Paradoxica like this.
    "I have crippling depression" -Mahatma Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsumi View Post
    lol

D94
    HSC
    N/A

What do you study? Will you need to run any programs that are only available on Windows?
    HSC Raw Marks Database - Band 6 Raw Marks

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by turntaker View Post
    Better macbook is any laptop that is not a macbook
    I find it easier to setup the things I want on Windows (e.g. Macros, auto hot key, bots, etc.)
    Nailgun likes this.
    If I am a conic section, then my e = ∞

Just so we don't have this discussion in the future, my definition of the natural numbers includes 0.

HSC

You guys know you can run Windows on a macbook right?

But macbook is just over priced
    lol

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by D94 View Post
    What do you study? Will you need to run any programs that are only available on Windows?
    I'm doing a science degree (so I gotta be typing up alot of things). I can already put office and I'm not sure if there is paint because I'll probably be needing that for copying photos, resizing, etc.

HSC

I got a macbook pro late 2013 model. It's got the 128gb ssd and I filled it up within 6 months of having the computer so I ended up having to buy a 1tb external ssd where I can store all the stuff I don't use as much such as photos, movies, etc. Also, since I'm using a ton of chrome tabs (30+ over three screens) and with only 4gb of ram, It can start to freeze up sometimes if you do things too fast such as alternating between desktops but this isn't too big a problem since it fixes in a few seconds. Also, Mac's don't have 'paint' built in but i'm sure there are other programs out there to download.

HSC
    Uni Grad

So why a MacBook?

This is coming from someone who is an Apple fan (although I am posting this using my Surface Pro). Yes the quality of the devices is great, and yes I do enjoy Mac OS X and it's ease of use/seamless backups/speed/lack of annoying things/etc... but really you need to figure out why you are choosing a MacBook.

IMO the MacBook Air is the ideal uni student laptop but it's so old now (heck I bought an 11.6" MacBook Air when I was in uni) that unless you really really like it, it's probably not worth it even though it's quite well priced now <$1k with education discount IIRC. You can install Windows on it too but that almost defeats the point since it'll add quite a bit of cost (assuming you buy the retail version of Windows and not an OEM) and then you're missing out on some of the benefits of Mac OS X. That leaves MBP and MacBook if you're heart is set on a MacBook but in both those cases you'll be facing compromises whether it be lack of ports (and high price) on the MacBook, or just size/weight/price for the MBP.

Before you jump in to this make sure you research what else you need to run - I suspect if you're doing a science degree, you might end up needing Excel and some advanced macros/scripts which won't run on the Mac version of Office as far as I know. It'll also boggle your mind later on when it comes to working on a Windows machine which is what the vast majority of companies use and hence make things harder- I struggle using Excel on my MacBook despite living most of my professional life inside Excel on Windows! It'll also make things easier on you during your degree if you can share stuff easier with friends on Windows/etc.. If after thinking about this you still want a MacBook, then I'd say the MacBook Pro is probably the best bang for buck solution and will cover you in other scenarios - but if it were me, I'd go for the MacBook with it's limitations since it just had a hardware refresh for the new Core M processors, USB-C is becoming more common so charging it should be a little less inconvenient as more people may have chargers with them you could borrow if needed, and it's just a more compact machine. Downside is it's not really that powerful so you won't be playing games or anything on it.

I'd also suggest you consider some of the other form factors or devices whether it be pure tablets (e.g. iPad) or 2-in-1's (e.g. Surface 3, Surface Pro 4). I'd probably avoid a Surface 3 now given it's a year old and hasn't had a spec upgrade (unless you find it for a great deal?) but the Surface Pro 3 and 4 are looking like better value options although you will need to carry the charger with you since it might not be easy for you to find someone else with a charger for this on them.

FYI when I was at uni I used a Dell Mini 9 (a netbook!) which was horrible, and then I moved to the MacBook Air. I also had a work provided Lenovo T_series which was great but damn heavy so I rarely pulled it out. Now I own a Surface Pro 4 (and recently sold my Surface 3) and if I was to go back to uni again, I'd definitely go Surface since it's just so convenient having a 2-in-1 which I can write on, type on, and have enough power to do other things.
    astroman likes this.

2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by seremify007 View Post
    So why a MacBook?

This is coming from someone who is an Apple fan (although I am posting this using my Surface Pro). Yes the quality of the devices is great, and yes I do enjoy Mac OS X and it's ease of use/seamless backups/speed/lack of annoying things/etc... but really you need to figure out why you are choosing a MacBook.

IMO the MacBook Air is the ideal uni student laptop but it's so old now (heck I bought an 11.6" MacBook Air when I was in uni) that unless you really really like it, it's probably not worth it even though it's quite well priced now <$1k with education discount IIRC. You can install Windows on it too but that almost defeats the point since it'll add quite a bit of cost (assuming you buy the retail version of Windows and not an OEM) and then you're missing out on some of the benefits of Mac OS X. That leaves MBP and MacBook if you're heart is set on a MacBook but in both those cases you'll be facing compromises whether it be lack of ports (and high price) on the MacBook, or just size/weight/price for the MBP.

Before you jump in to this make sure you research what else you need to run - I suspect if you're doing a science degree, you might end up needing Excel and some advanced macros/scripts which won't run on the Mac version of Office as far as I know. It'll also boggle your mind later on when it comes to working on a Windows machine which is what the vast majority of companies use and hence make things harder- I struggle using Excel on my MacBook despite living most of my professional life inside Excel on Windows! It'll also make things easier on you during your degree if you can share stuff easier with friends on Windows/etc.. If after thinking about this you still want a MacBook, then I'd say the MacBook Pro is probably the best bang for buck solution and will cover you in other scenarios - but if it were me, I'd go for the MacBook with it's limitations since it just had a hardware refresh for the new Core M processors, USB-C is becoming more common so charging it should be a little less inconvenient as more people may have chargers with them you could borrow if needed, and it's just a more compact machine. Downside is it's not really that powerful so you won't be playing games or anything on it.

I'd also suggest you consider some of the other form factors or devices whether it be pure tablets (e.g. iPad) or 2-in-1's (e.g. Surface 3, Surface Pro 4). I'd probably avoid a Surface 3 now given it's a year old and hasn't had a spec upgrade (unless you find it for a great deal?) but the Surface Pro 3 and 4 are looking like better value options although you will need to carry the charger with you since it might not be easy for you to find someone else with a charger for this on them.

FYI when I was at uni I used a Dell Mini 9 (a netbook!) which was horrible, and then I moved to the MacBook Air. I also had a work provided Lenovo T_series which was great but damn heavy so I rarely pulled it out. Now I own a Surface Pro 4 (and recently sold my Surface 3) and if I was to go back to uni again, I'd definitely go Surface since it's just so convenient having a 2-in-1 which I can write on, type on, and have enough power to do other things.
    Thanks for your reply, but I'm still not sure as to whether I should stick with the Mac Pro or not. The things that I love about the Pro is: retina display, high processing speed compared to Air, 8gb RAM, and I think that's about it. But what I'm worried about is the 128GB storage, I have USBs but I prefer storing on the device rather than USB (I mainly using USBs if I'm transferring files between computers, or if in the future I do actually end up running out of space). I'm also more worried now after reading that office is slow on the pro, as it'll be the main thing I'll be using. I don't know what's best for me because I think about so many things at once, PLEASE HELP lol.

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGas View Post
    Thanks for your reply, but I'm still not sure as to whether I should stick with the Mac Pro or not. The things that I love about the Pro is: retina display, high processing speed compared to Air, 8gb RAM, and I think that's about it. But what I'm worried about is the 128GB storage, I have USBs but I prefer storing on the device rather than USB (I mainly using USBs if I'm transferring files between computers, or if in the future I do actually end up running out of space). I'm also more worried now after reading that office is slow on the pro, as it'll be the main thing I'll be using. I don't know what's best for me because I think about so many things at once, PLEASE HELP lol.
    I find that word/excel doesn't seem to be slow on macbook pro's.
    l’appel du vide

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

HSC
    Uni Grad

I find that word/excel doesn't seem to be slow on macbook pro's.
    l’appel du vide

HSC
    Uni Grad

If you're worried then get 256gb? What do you plan to put on there anyway as 128gb for uni work is more than sufficient - also depends how you listen to music/watch movies/whatever else you plan to use it for. I've moved very much into the cloud because I have great internet speeds and I also suggest you use OneDrive/Dropbox/etc anyway for your uni work.

As for Office being slow- that's from the older versions but they're now pretty much at parity. Bigger issue is if you need to run third party add-ins which may not run on Mac for uni.

2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

HSC
    Uni Grad

Excel is a lot easier to use on windows too.
    l’appel du vide

HSC

use ubuntu
    lol

HSC
    N/A

Guys how do I get office on the macbook for free?

HSC
    N/A

Also I'm such a noob with how the macbook works, are there any things I should know? I don't even know how to scroll properly on pages and such.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Guys how do I get office on the macbook for free?
    https://products.office.com/en-au/st...e-in-education
    l’appel du vide

HSC
    N/A

Is the mac book charger magnetic? Is there a specific way of taking it out? Because I feel like it's about brake or snap when I take it out lol.

HSC
    N/A

Is the mac book charger magnetic? Is there a specific way of taking it out? Because I feel like it's about brake or snap when I take it out lol.
    Tilt it upwards (or downwards) i.e. perpendicular to the surface of the table, ground, etc
    Last edited by parad0xica; 3 May 2016 at 11:13 PM.
    Clue 1: 121 112
    Who am I?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Clue 2

Clue 0: Clockwise

Clue 3: Are you watching closely? ∃ a clue every now and then
    Clue 4: 99 115
    Clue 5: |℘(S)| = 15^2 + 31

HSC

Dell xps, Asus zenbook.
    lol

HSC
    N/A

Also I'm having trouble highlighting text, obviously to highlight a text you just click once, hold, and drag, but for me after the drag I have to tap once so I'll be able to move my mouse freely without having to highlight more (unnecessary) things. What do I do?

HSC
    N/A

Nevermind, bit by bit I'm starting to learn haha

HSC
    Uni Grad

Guessing you went with the Macbook Which one did you get?

For other people reading this thread, I also would've considered the Razer Blade Stealth ultrabook which seems competitively priced at around $1500 for an i7 (at least here in Singapore) but this is more gaming oriented since you'd probably want the external GPU which could be $500+ not including the card itself! It also has a shorter battery life than competing laptops but seems to be the best way to get a gaming laptop.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by seremify007 View Post
    Guessing you went with the Macbook Which one did you get?

For other people reading this thread, I also would've considered the Razer Blade Stealth ultrabook which seems competitively priced at around $1500 for an i7 (at least here in Singapore) but this is more gaming oriented since you'd probably want the external GPU which could be $500+ not including the card itself! It also has a shorter battery life than competing laptops but seems to be the best way to get a gaming laptop.
    When I made this thread, I had already bought the Macbook Pro with Retina 128GB, but it wasn't opened (still in the box) because I didn't know whether to refund it or not. It's a beautiful device but I think it needs time to get used to.

HSC
    N/A

Is there a program equivalent to MS Paint for mac? I want to be able to crop parts of a photo and resize the image with the pointer (just like in MS Paint).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information