another ipod issue (1 Viewer)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
another ipod issue (REVISED)

i really need help here. basically i got a crazy virus last week and the computer had to be reformmated, so i lost ALL my mp3's. this has happened before, and when i thought "no biggie, still got 'em on my ipod"i was actually WRONG- somehow, i cant remember exactly how, buuutt somehow when i first plugged my ipod in after reformatting my comp last time, it automatically wiped all my mp3's on the ipod.

so my question is, CAN i transfer songs FROM my ipod, to my computer?? is it possible?? plz explain in simple terms as i am a bit of a dumbass with both computers and ipods

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes.

Make sure you can see hidden folders.

(Tools -> FOlder options -> view -> check show hidden files)

Then plug in your ipod.
Open go to my computer....and open the ipod drive
open the ipod_control folder all all the music is in the "music" subdirectory.

Just copy it across to your computer :)

tempco

HSC
Deus said:
Yes.

Make sure you can see hidden folders.

(Tools -> FOlder options -> view -> check show hidden files)

Then plug in your ipod.
Open go to my computer....and open the ipod drive
open the ipod_control folder all all the music is in the "music" subdirectory.

Just copy it across to your computer :)
oh awesome. thanks for that.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
spin spin sugar said:
i really need help here. basically i got a crazy virus last week and the computer had to be reformmated, so i lost ALL my mp3's. this has happened before, and when i thought "no biggie, still got 'em on my ipod"i was actually WRONG- somehow, i cant remember exactly how, buuutt somehow when i first plugged my ipod in after reformatting my comp last time, it automatically wiped all my mp3's on the ipod.

so my question is, CAN i transfer songs FROM my ipod, to my computer?? is it possible?? plz explain in simple terms as i am a bit of a dumbass with both computers and ipods
as for stopping your computer from wiping your ipod, if you are using itunes (am guessing yes here 'cause of the wiping thing), go into itunes preferences->ipod->select manually manage songs and playlists
(am assuming the mac and windows versions pref's are the same-its the last option on the screen)

For some reason, itunes likes to automatically match its playlist with the ipod-if itunes is blank, the ipod becomes blank (know this one from experience when I plugged my ipod into another computer to use it as an external drive. Lost everything.....)

hope this helps

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
GUYS, i have since tried connecting my ipod and the computer isnt recognising it. its basically not detecting ANYTHING. its not the port, as i tried using my digicam and other things in the same one, and they worked fine. my ipod has however completely run out of battery, could this have something to do with it??

...but how on earth am i supposed to charge it if it wont recognise it to begin with?
guuuuhhh
this is really pissing me off. everyone should buy an iriver, kthx.

HSC
spin spin sugar said:
GUYS, i have since tried connecting my ipod and the computer isnt recognising it. its basically not detecting ANYTHING. its not the port, as i tried using my digicam and other things in the same one, and they worked fine. my ipod has however completely run out of battery, could this have something to do with it??

...but how on earth am i supposed to charge it if it wont recognise it to begin with?
guuuuhhh
this is really pissing me off. everyone should buy an iriver, kthx.
i had that problem a few times.. and resetting the ipod fixed it.. but u need battery power for that.. dont u have a charger for it?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
lol well yeah it has to have some charge....

hmm sounds like a mini you have...correct? They dont come with chargers do they? they charge from USB power if my meomory is correct

ANyway you may also need to enable the ipod for disk use.

As im at school and dont have itunes in front of me i cant tell you exactly how to, but from memory.....

In itunes, find preferences -> ipod -> check enable disk use

Its something like that

It should recognise the ipod in explorer after that.

HSC
Deus said:
lol well yeah it has to have some charge....

hmm sounds like a mini you have...correct? They dont come with chargers do they? they charge from USB power if my meomory is correct

ANyway you may also need to enable the ipod for disk use.

As im at school and dont have itunes in front of me i cant tell you exactly how to, but from memory.....

In itunes, find preferences -> ipod -> check enable disk use

Its something like that

It should recognise the ipod in explorer after that.
minis come with chargers.. at least mine did... but yeh bad news is u need to charge it a little in order to do anything!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Spin, have you been able to get the songs off the ipod?

For your new problem, use the powercharger if you can access one. Im assuming the computer isnt even powering the ipod at this point, since its not recognising it at all, so the USB wouldnt work.

You could also try

1. Plug in the iPod to the charger
2. Toggle to Hold switch from Off to On and back to Off
3. Press both the Play/Pause & Menu buttons at the same time (for about 10 seconds)

(works only for 3rd-4th generation ipods as far as i'm aware, and shouldnt delete your data, not too sure if it works without battery power though.)

(edit)

Try this page http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61711

Last edited:

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
sometimes if battery power is low itll take a while for your computer to recognise it

once it took my computer 2 1/2 hours so bear with it!!

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i have the newest ipod mini, so i didn't get a charger. it's supposed to just charge from the USB. please dont tell me i'm gonna have to buy a charger just to fix this? fuuuuck

asylum, couldnt get the songs as the computer isnt even recognisingthat there is an ipod plugged in.

Deus, i tried what you recommended but when i went to the Ipod tab in preferences all it had was a blank box and it said "no ipod connected" or something like that. argrhhh

i need quick replies cos if i'm gonna have to get a charger, i'll get one this afternoon when i go into the city.. in a little while. let me know peeps

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
try reinstalling itunes....

Anyway with the charging thing shoudlnt it charge regardless of whether its detected?

kaylz

HSC
hey spinspin i had loads of troubble with my ipod. i got casmira to come and fix it. he's great. pm him and ask what to do.

kaylz

HSC
it sounds like you have the exact same problem i had. i bought the newest mini and it didn't seem to click with the computer, no matter how many times we tried to install it.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Deus said:
try reinstalling itunes....

Anyway with the charging thing shoudlnt it charge regardless of whether its detected?
it should...does the mini show that its charging or is it assumed?

ie on the 4G, it says to not disconnect and it shows the battery charging icon

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
there is nothing displayed on the screen, and when i try to turn it on it doesnt.

thanks for the help kaylz.. i will hit casmira up later. btw i bought some mac foundation after the girls at myer in the city made me over... omg.. im love. its the best make up ive ever used.

kaylz

HSC
spin spin sugar said:
there is nothing displayed on the screen, and when i try to turn it on it doesnt.

thanks for the help kaylz.. i will hit casmira up later. btw i bought some mac foundation after the girls at myer in the city made me over... omg.. im love. its the best make up ive ever used.
yeah... he fixed mine in like 10 mins so he's your man. and i told you so about the foundation:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)