EliteTorrents Shut Down ... (1 Viewer)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
... By the FBI and Department of Homeland security without actually doing anything illegal.

This seems to be the first case of a torrent website being shut down by a government institution. Most are usually asked by RIAA or MPAA and then subsequently shut down voluntarily.

Thoughts, comments?

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Strangely enough - they qualify the shut down of the website by claiming it Distributed Star Wars Episode 3 to over 10,000 people within 24 hours of the movie being released, and by the fact that the movie was released 6 hours before actual release date in America.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
KeypadSDM said:
Strangely enough - they qualify the shut down of the website by claiming it Distributed Star Wars Episode 3 to over 10,000 people within 24 hours of the movie being released, and by the fact that the movie was released 6 hours before actual release date in America.
Hahah, starwars got pwned.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah i did a simple google search for it and found it easily....so doubt they are going to stop it....

Anyway as long as touch torrentspy they do not, happy i shall be :)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
KeypadSDM said:
yeh i read about that. so coooooool

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
It's a shame they were so good, yet didn't allow legal downloads, which is why of course no one on this particular website used it.

We are of course, educated quite well in NSW.

Right?

InFeRn0

HSC
KeypadSDM said:
... By the FBI and Department of Homeland security without actually doing anything illegal.

This seems to be the first case of a torrent website being shut down by a government institution. Most are usually asked by RIAA or MPAA and then subsequently shut down voluntarily.

Thoughts, comments?
What about supernova..

winicat

HSC
slightly a tangent to this but:

rolling stone magazine had an article about file d/l software (from the internet) a few years ago. one guy they interviewed said microsoft (i think lol) asked him to create a prototype for this kind of stuff. then, when it got too big (ie when he was testing it out on the net with people, etc) they asked him to shut it down.

like CD writers, etc. .. if they didn't want people to do it, why do they create the technology?

again, like viruses (conspiracy here lol) .. who creates the 'medicine' for viruses? the big companies .. but how do they know how to fix it if they didn't create it themselves??

my point? if they don't want it happening, stop creating the software (and hardware?) that allows it to!

[/RAMBLING]

HSC
i doubt pharmecy companies will go broke any time soon, virus's always mutate :p

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
winicat said:
slightly a tangent to this but:

rolling stone magazine had an article about file d/l software (from the internet) a few years ago. one guy they interviewed said microsoft (i think lol) asked him to create a prototype for this kind of stuff. then, when it got too big (ie when he was testing it out on the net with people, etc) they asked him to shut it down.

like CD writers, etc. .. if they didn't want people to do it, why do they create the technology?

again, like viruses (conspiracy here lol) .. who creates the 'medicine' for viruses? the big companies .. but how do they know how to fix it if they didn't create it themselves??

my point? if they don't want it happening, stop creating the software (and hardware?) that allows it to!

[/RAMBLING]
CD-writers were created so people could backup their precious data

as Casmira has mentioned, virii will mutate, it actually takes years for drug developers to find solution to a virus and then another year at least to test if it works before selling the drug. They find solutions by trial and error that's why it takes so long

winicat

HSC
i didn't say that viruses took ages to be 'killed off' .. i just said that i reckon the big companies create them and the antidotes so they can make more money. i mean, seriously, other than people trying to hack into governments, etc, why are there so many viruses around? someone has to create them. then the big companies make 'medicine' and 'vaccines' and it's all just a big conspiracy.

prescious data aka piracy...

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
I just found it surprising that FBI and ICE were involved. Previously sites were shut down by MPAA.

This is the FIRST time that the torrent crackdown is now classified as a criminal offence.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
t-i-m-m-y said:
I just found it surprising that FBI and ICE were involved. Previously sites were shut down by MPAA.

This is the FIRST time that the torrent crackdown is now classified as a criminal offence.
the feds must really like starwars

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
I was an active member of ET:).. Ooops brb feds knocking on my door hehe

but

It appears that the feds had this all planned out, arrest warrants ready to go. From what I gather, the admin people at ET were basically 'hacked' by the feds who monitored what was happening for 3 months. They were waiting and waiting till star wars came out, and then arrested them.

The feds have not ruled out tracking down the little users, but what they have done, and the large publicity around it has certainly shaken a few nerves in the BT community. Some people have taken to wiping their harddrives. Its sad how the feds are controlled by Lucas, instead of chasing terrorists and murderes they crack down on easy geeks who leave their computers on to download off BT.

Personally, i'm going to be a little careful from now on, this has really struck home, as its intended effect was. The US attorney general has apparently ranked IP crime number 4 in a recent speech. up there with human trafficking and child abuse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)