LCD monitors (1 Viewer)

D

d00d

hey i'm planning on getting a 17' lcd at the end of the year, got my eyes on the lg flatron.

but i've heard reports that lcd's aren't good, coz they got slow refresh rate (which means poor image for first person shooters) and they wear out after a few years so CRTs are more durable. is this true?

if u give the lcd's the all clear, then which one do u think is worth getting?

Huy

HSC
N/A
I've *just* (a day ago!) purchased two LCDs for an upcoming birthday... buying myself a present for my 18th lol, so it was funny that i saw this topic.

i bought the acer 17" lcd (black) for $690, only because my LG 17" flatrons were bulky to haul around and move. (they still work fine... using them right now, but everyone's getting an lcd, so why not :))

lcd's *were* crappy for gaming in earlier lcd models from what i've heard, suffering the 'ghosting' effect (slow/delay). but if you read around, the refresh rate isn't as bad as you might think, but i don't know about the "durability" factor though.

i've been using my 17" LG flatrons (i have two side by side, dualling) and they have been good to me.

i'm just getting LCDs because they're cheaper now, i can't stand the strain on my eyes (long hrs of computer use), and i take my computer around the place a lot (lan parties, etc, makes the carrying load much lighter).

it doesnt really answer your question, no,
but i'd say that everything's going LCD these days, so you'll be surprised at how long they'd last (a mate of mine has a samsung 17", he got it for $3000 about 2-3 years ago from overseas, and it's still working perfectly).

the prices have plummeted (15" LCDs for 500 or so, not all that much extra for a 17" lcd, by the end of the year they'll be cheaper hopefully in the sub 600's)

again, the ghosted images shouldn't be a problem for fps games, but i havent played games in a few years, so i'm not all that reliable when it comes to gaming, i think they operate at 85Hz now for lcds? or is it still at 60. i can't remember.

check your product specs (for whichever model you decide upon), and see the refresh rates/res that it can handle.

Last edited:

^___^
HSC
the refresh rate isn't a big problem if ur buying a LCD, refresh rate will probably affects laptop for the time being, but thats not wat ur after...apart from that, Huy covered everything well

buy LCD, coz the price is cheap, but if u can wait, why not coz the price might drop more by then

Huy

HSC
N/A
current pricing (average price, for the 'average' brand, no sonys :p)

15" $500 - 550
17" $700 - 850
19" $1300 - 1600

prices vary, so check around.
benq, NEC, samsung, most are well designed.
sony topping the list, but that's sacrificing your wallet too :p

remember the days when 15" were $1000+ ?
they're half-price now, given 6 more months, you'll be paying a few hundred for a 15" (small... but it's an lcd, space-saver).

if you can hold out for 6 months (at the end of the year, as you say), then you might even be able to afford a 19" if prices drop that much. hopefully they will, and they'll be about $1000, still pricy compared to the equivalent 19" CRT, but "you get what you pay for" :)

17" LCDs should be fine for a couple of years,
(2005/06 - you'll see everyone with 21" LCDs :p ... i need a new desk, the monitor wont fit! ;))

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
LCDs r the best, but ive also heard they wear out after a couple of yrs

Huy

HSC
N/A
think about it :)

2006, that's 3 years away.
it wasn't so long ago that 15" was the standard size for CRTs.
now it'll be 17" at the least.

into the LCD domain, the 15"s have dropped, so they'll be adopted by many. but the enthusiasts will be going for the 17"s.

Once the 19"s come under the $1000 mark, then you'll have more people moving into the big screens.

The 21" LCDs can become mainstream in say 5 years for home/consumer use, so maybe i was exaggerating it a little. make it 19" :D

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
LCDs can be bad if you're into pixel-perfect graphics work, I've heard (but Mr Leafy can probably clarify..)

for the most part LCDs are light, take up little space on a crowded desk, and look really cool. :)

the only *major* problem I can think of is that on LCDs the maximum display is fixed (mine's 1024x768 for a 17" hitachi) and that might bother you if you're used to larger displays (although if you're a gamer i can't see why you would want it any higher..)

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
the average price for 17inch lcd's in hong kong is 400-450 aus

proves how high the cost of living is here in australia

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
LCD Screens hurt my eyes (yes, even the new ones). With or without glasses.

/me is keeping his trusty 17" CRT for some time yet. It auto-degausses and everything (meaning it clicks, shudders and wobbles all the time... I wonder how long it's going to last for).

Huy

HSC
N/A
1280*1024 @80Hz both horizontal and vertical for me,
native resolution.

17" LCD, but it's 2 days old.

now i find that CRTs are really blurry when i look at them,
been using this one for about 20-25 hours now.

my eyes have become accustomed to the ClearType (doubles the width of text i think, display properties, appearance, effect, "use the following method to smooth screen font: ClearType").

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
Originally posted by anti
LCDs can be bad if you're into pixel-perfect graphics work, I've heard (but Mr Leafy can probably clarify..)
yeh, fixed rez's suck (and it sucks even more when it tries to fake low resolutions and everything's all blurry and eghhh.)

and the colour balance is hard/impossible to adjust
most crt's you can adjust the individual guns to fix up the colours for lighting, paper stock, etc

ps. don't trust monitor colours for designing print graphics :p

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
If you have the space, and stylishness is not an issue: just buy a good flat 19 inch CRT. you'll be happier with the picture and the colouring.

is a roflcopter
HSC
how big can i buy a normal crt for the price of a 17" lcd?

Huy

HSC
N/A
I bought my 17" LCD for $690

so if we're talking the same amount, in terms of CRTs, then you'll be looking at a good (flat) 19" or if you want to spend a little more, 21"

I'll give you a few prices,

Benq P211: 21" Monitor $848.50
Benq P992: 19" Flat CRT Monitor $394.00

IBM P97: 19" Flat Trinitron CRT Monitor - Black $870.50
IBM G78: 17" Flat CRT Monitor - Black $425.00

LG T910B: 19" Flat CRT Monitor $426.00

Mitsubishi 19" DP93SB: 19" Flat CRT Monitor $690.00

NEC FE991SB: 19" 'Super Bright' Flat CRT Monitor $603.00

Philips 19" 109P Flat CRT Monitor $720.50

Samsung 19" Syncmaster Flat, 1600x1200 Monitor $420.00
Samsung 21" Syncmaster Plus, 1800x1440 @ 75Hz Monitor $957.00

Hope that gives you an idea :)
You'll save a lot if you purchase a CRT, and you've got plenty of room + you don't take your monitor around a lot from place to place.

:)

D

d00d

how much was ur 17 inch LG flatron lcd monitor? and where did u buy it from?

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
i only buy stuff with the name "sony" on it :D

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by d00d
how much was ur 17 inch LG flatron lcd monitor? and where did u buy it from?
I don't own an LG LCD

I have:

LG Flatron 17" CRTs for $260 right now,
and my new LCD
Acer/Benq 17" LCD for $690-700

I buy my parts from umart.com.au, secret.net.au, eyo.com.au
there are plenty of online stores in sydney though :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)