help! (1 Viewer)

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
ok, so my computer has this weird thing where when i go to download programs and stuff off the net, it will come up with an error msg reading the plug in did not initialise properly...its been doing this for about six months before but it never really bothered me.

so anyways i just went to d/l msn 6.....everything was going swimmingly until after i had d/l it and was actually installing the program. it came up with some thing saying i had piece of software missing and i would need to visit the msn website to get it. then it uninstalled msn6 PLUS my old version. so now i have no msn

anyone know what happened?

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
see that's the problem.....i can't download anything. i tried to download the installer and it came up that the plugin had not initialised properly, just like it does with everything else

it's a catch 22 - to fix the problem i obviously need to download a program, but that's the problem in the first place: i cant download anything

thanks for your help anyway

Huy

HSC
N/A
try this :)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q316537

and/or

go to 'tools' in internet explorer and select 'internet options'.

click on the 'security' tab and click on the 'custom level' button.

under the 'activeX controls', go down to:
'run active x controls and plugins'
make sure that 'enable' is ticked/checked (a dot :)).
hit apply/ok
then ok

on a related note,
those experiencing this problem usually have corrupt adobe acrobat installations. (can you download pdfs? view pdfs? hold down the "shift" key while clicking a download link? trying to open a pdf in your browser?)

so to resolve this problem, re-download the latest acrobat version from www.adobe.com/acrobat

you'll find "acrobat reader 6" on that page
normally at this page: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

:)

Last edited:

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
ok i tried that internet options thing.....the one you said to change was already on enable, but the two options before that were on "prompt" and "disabled"...i left them but, didnt want to change them around

i actually was able to download installer, by just right clicking and going to save target as. but then when i downloaded it it said i already had it....so i did a search of my pc and i think i found it, but i didnt know what to do from there

edit: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q316537

this looks a bit scary, i dont want to do anything wrong cos it might stuff up the whole OS

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
Q. I get an error message which says "Plugin Error: The plugin did not initialize properly". When I click "OK" it says "The plugin was found but an error in the plugin has occurred."

A. While we are not sure what causes this problem, there is a way to work around it. One solution is to download the pdf file and save it locally.

To save the pdf locally, press the shift key and while still pressed, click on the pdf file. Instead of Acrobat Reader starting, you'll see the "save" dialog box appear. You can now save the pdf file and then open it in Acrobat Reader.

Edit: UNTESTED SOLUTION BELOW

search your hard drive for the plugin.ocx file and rename or delete it. The file is usually in the windows\system32 directory

make SURE you have a backup if this solution fails.

Edit2: Another solution on the web, (Question: Do you have quicktime or real player installed? If so, uninstall one or both of them and see if that solves your problem, then reinstall each app individually and test to see if the problem surfaces again after installing quicktime or real player)

Question: Every time I try to download something it says "Plugin did not initialize". What causes this?

Answer: The most probable culprits are "RealPlayer" ("RealOne") and QuickTime. Both are sometimes necessary to play certain types of multi-media files but both can be intrusive programs that require supervision when installing.

Both want to install a lot of other programs (like Real Download) which you don't need, and probably don't want. They're sneaky in that they don't warn you they are going to install other programs so you have to be very, very, careful you follow the setup very carefully.

Both RealPlayer (Real One) and QuickTime try to associate themselves with other files on your computer which could cause you difficulty in opening midi files, graphics files and multi-media files.

If you're having trouble downloading because of a "Plugin did not initialize" error, try uninstalling QuickTime and RealPlayer by using Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs applet.

Then go back and reinstall QuickTime and RealOne (if you really need them) and be very careful not to let it install other programs or associate themselves with files other than those for which you downloaded them (most likely .RA .RAM .MOV ). Word to the wise: Use caution when installing these two programs!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hopefully a solution will arise, good luck "um.." :)

Last edited:

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
hey ive just deleted quicktime and realplay, and im about to try downloading something now.
thankyou very much for your help, huy, and good luck with your trials

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)