First Year IT Camp 2007 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Heres the info about IT camp :p
What happens at the camp? Yours is compulsory unlike law camp
There will be a number of sessions where different staff from the Faculty and the University will discuss information you need to know when starting University. This ranges from a general introduction to the University through to how to get help and advice, and about student clubs, activities, and services. You will receive an overview of the subjects you will be taking, and a discussion of your course as a whole. There will be plenty of opportunities to ask questions of staff and second-year students.

The social aspects of the camp are also important. You will meet the people you will most likely spend the next few years of your life interacting with – your peers, tutors and lecturers. The camp includes a range of social activities including swimming, basketball, tennis, canoeing, a trivia night, a dance party, and more. You can choose the activities that interest you, and they are a great way to make new friends.

Is it necessary for me to attend?

Yes. All information technology students who are studying full-time must attend the orientation camp, as it forms part of your first-year studies. Attendance is optional for part-time students. Students who have attended in previous years all found it a great introduction to University life and an easy way to make friends. The orientation camp is an important part of your introduction to University and there will be no opportunity to catch up on the material covered.

Permission not to attend will only be granted following a written application to the Associate Dean (Education). There are a small number of scholarships available for students suffering severe financial hardship. Written applications for scholarships to attend the camp must be made to the Associate Dean (Education) by 5pm on 5 February 2007, accompanied by your registration form. Letters should be addressed to:
A/Prof David Wilson
Associate Dean (Education)
Faculty of Information Technology
University of Technology Sydney
PO Box 123
Broadway NSW 2007

When will the camp take place?
The camp commences on Monday 12 February 2007.
Buses will depart for the camp at 1:00pm sharp, from Darling Drive (behind the UTS library).
Please assemble at 12:45pm behind the UTS library (see map). Make sure you have lunch before you arrive on Day 1 to catch the bus.

The camp will finish on Wednesday 14 February 2007, and you will be back at the University at approximately 1:00pm – 1:30pm. On the return journey we hope to allow some students to get off the bus at Penrith and at Parramatta, if that is more convenient.

Where is the camp located?

The camp is located near the Blue Mountains. We will not disclose the exact location until you arrive, so please do not ask in advance!

What if there is an emergency and I need to be contacted while at camp?
Families can ring (02) 9514 1263 after 1:00pm on Monday 12 February and hear a recorded message giving the exact location and telephone number of the camp. If there is any problem with this phone number, please ring the main enquiry number for the Faculty of Information Technology, (02) 9514 1800.

What are the facilities like? Where do I sleep??
Accommodation at the camp is dormitory-style, in separate male and female cabins. Each cabin sleeps from 6 – 16 people. Cooked meals are provided by the camp staff, and served in a dining room (you will be asked to help setup/cleanup at meal times, but no cooking). The campsite has a range of activities available, including swimming, tennis, basketball, canoeing, etc. Organised activities (e.g. canoeing) will be supervised by qualified camp staff.

Do I need to register? How??

YES!! If you haven’t already done so, you must do two things to register for camp:

1. Complete and pay the $60 fee using the online registration form. You must pay using either Visa or Mastercard credit cards. You cannot use a debit card.
2. Download, complete and sign the medical consent form. You must either post or hand-deliver this form to the Faculty of IT.
If you will be under 18 years of age on 12 February 2007, please have it signed by a parent/guardian, otherwise sign it yourself if you are 18 years of age. This form is required by the campsite staff as well as the Faculty.

OR

Please note that you may also register in person at the Faculty of IT. To do so please bring the registration form and medical consent form with you. You must come to Level 3, Building 10 at 235 Jones St Ultimo at the following times:

* Thursday 25 January from 11am to 3pm
* Monday 29 January from 11am to 3pm
* Friday 2 February from 11am to 3pm

Please note that some Preliminary booklets posted out had mistakes and that these are the correct days and times above.

You must register before Monday 5 February 2007.

What costs are involved?

There is a meal/accommodation charge of $60, and the University pays for all other expenses.

All meals are provided, and there is an unlimited supply of water and cordial. Soft drinks and some snack food (e.g. Mars bars, muesli bars) will be available for sale, with all proceeds going to the UTS Computing Students Society (CompSoc), so if you wish, you might like to bring a small amount of cash. This is a student society fundraising activity and no profits go to the University.

Of course if you are catching public transport home, don’t forget your train/bus fare!

What do I need to bring to the camp?
Room on the bus may be scarce, so you should restrict yourself to items you can fit in an average size backpack. See also the checklist. Remember that we will only be at camp for 3 days, so pack light! Here is a list of essential items:

* Sheets or sleeping bag, pillows, pillow cases (it may be too hot for a sleeping bag)
* Clothing (very casual): shorts, t-shirts/tops, one pair of jeans in case it gets cool
* Footwear: joggers and thongs (for use in showers). Closed in shoes must be worn in the dining room or the camp staff will refuse to serve you meals.
* Personal toiletries
* Insect repellent (important!)
* Swimming costume, towel
* Sunglasses, sunscreen, hat, water bottle
* Pen and notepad

Musical instruments, playing cards, etc, may also be included if you wish. Valuable items, such as mobile phones, ipods/MP3s, etc. are brought along at your own risk. It’s best to leave them at home – you can survive without technology for 3 days!

What if I have special food requirements?

A standard menu will be provided, however if you have any special needs (e.g. vegetarian, no lactose, etc), please indicate this under "Special Dietary Requirements" on the medical consent form or let us know as soon as possible.

Camp rules
See the 'Camp Guidelines' from the campsite staff. More information on some of the rules will be provided upon arrival at the camp.

Questions??
If you have any more questions please contact one of the camp organisers. Email is the preferred option for a prompt reply.

Jenny Donovan
Phone: (02) 9514 1263
Email: jennyd@it.uts.edu.au

See http://start.it.uts.edu.au/camp/ for more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
I'll be here to answer anyones questions =) (i'm not a yellow shirt tho)

lool Joe - posting in the IT thread =O

goan_crazy

HSC
Lucky IT camp people get back on valentines day

we leave on valentines day

But the law people will be giving/getting more action i'm sure ;)

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
hey.., umm i don't know if i registerd properly.

I filled out the forms and stuff, and took it there but the IT student services window thingy was closed, so i went downstairs to student administraion or something?, anyway i gave it to some lady who i checked my credit card etc, and said she'd take it up, she probably took it up, but did i have to be in person, and see someone from IT to actually register? or will my registration go through?

lol...

Veronica.L

HSC
theres plenty of time to get action :p why do you have to on camp. and juust cause law ppl got more action last year doesnt mean that it'll be the same this year, things change. not saying me personally BUT it could happen :)

goan_crazy

HSC
Spider786 said:
dw, there'll be action this year :santa:

so, huratio whats a yellow shirt?
IT camp leaders wore yellow shirts?
i dunno

law camp leaders wear whatever i think

i so hope im going!

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
goan_crazy said:
Lucky IT camp people get back on valentines day

we leave on valentines day

But the law people will be giving/getting more action i'm sure ;)
Last year valentines day was the 2nd day of camp? bleh, I forgot. julie do u remember which day it was?

Spider786 said:
hey.., umm i don't know if i registerd properly.

I filled out the forms and stuff, and took it there but the IT student services window thingy was closed, so i went downstairs to student administraion or something?, anyway i gave it to some lady who i checked my credit card etc, and said she'd take it up, she probably took it up, but did i have to be in person, and see someone from IT to actually register? or will my registration go through?

lol...
I'm not sure if it will go through - last year the yellow shirts checked registration and handed out receipts.
I'm sure if you email Jenny she will give you an answer if you are registered or not: jennyd@it.uts.edu.au

Spider786 said:
dw, there'll be action this year :santa:

so, huratio whats a yellow shirt?
I'm sure there will be.

Yellow shirts are current students - normally 2nd years (but could be 3rd, 4th or 5th years) who are group leaders, which you will get to know very well during camp. There would be a student from all of the 3 IT courses- BIT, BScIT and BusComp, so they can answer any specific questions you will have.

My application to become a yellow shirt was just for fun.. I guess my speech wasn't good enough =/... I'm sure the ones chosen this year are pretty good- I know a couple and met a couple at the group interview.

goan_crazy

HSC
We'll see won't we.

How many people have registered/paid for IT camp so far?

joolee

HSC
Huratio said:
Last year valentines day was the 2nd day of camp? bleh, I forgot. julie do u remember which day it was?
yeh it was the second. pretty gay. everyone was on the phone that night.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
goan_crazy said:
We'll see won't we.

How many people have registered/paid for IT camp so far?

Not sure.

The number of people going will probably be around the same as last year.. around 150-200.

joolee

HSC
yeh i remember that bscit meeting thing. i counted n figured there were 60 guys and 10 girls. not bad. -__-

goan_crazy

HSC
joolee said:
yeh i remember that bscit meeting thing. i counted n figured there were 60 guys and 10 girls. not bad. -__-
6:1 ratio guy to girl :|

joolee

HSC
this is why huratio changed courses =P

he didn't wanna be homosexual.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
joolee said:
this is why huratio changed courses =P

he didn't wanna be homosexual.
yep. im happy that it is a 1:1 ratio in bus/comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)