Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Sdd 2017 hsc

HSC

Sdd 2017 hsc

Thoughts on the exam?

HSC

Re: Sdd 2017 hsc

I think it wasn't too difficult, does anyone have any predictions on what cut off will be this year? I was suprised they didn't have a question on software development approaches.
    Last edited by lilrose; 31 Oct 2017 at 6:00 PM.

Cadet
    HSC

Was there anything tricky? Any binary calculations?
    2016 HSC: Software Design & Development - State Ranked
    2017 HSC: Advanced English - Mathematics 2U - Physics - Engineering Studies - Information Processes and Technology

HSC

No, no binary calculations just a question in the elective how two's compliment is used in subtraction, it was fairly easier than previous exams

HSC

It was alright. I found the floating point question in one of the option topics a bit difficult because at first I thought it wanted actual values (actual numbers). It probably did but with there being no calculator... But personally I didn't find any of the questions too hard. I just hope to get 3/3's instead of 2/3's for all those 3-mark questions.
    Last edited by silverdawn565; 31 Oct 2017 at 6:10 PM. Reason: typo
    2017 HSC Courses

Standard English | Advanced Maths | Physics | Software Design and Development | Information Processes and Technology

"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul" - Elder Uchtdorf

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Eluate View Post
    Was there anything tricky? Any binary calculations?
    Found some of the algorithms a bit tricky. Sadly I can't remember what they were... I think it was one to do with purchases? But I think i made it sort of work in the end. I can't remember much else being too hard. Otherwise it was mostly not too difficult.
    2017 HSC Courses

Standard English | Advanced Maths | Physics | Software Design and Development | Information Processes and Technology

"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul" - Elder Uchtdorf

HSC

yeah there was the five mark purchase module and i think 3-4 mark one with the numbers being divisibible by 2 and 3

Cadet
    HSC

I personally thought it was one of the most interesting exams I've seen for SDD; Robo code was a bit ambiguous, and there were some mc questions that I personally thought had two answers, but other than that, no problem. Hopefully, a state rank, but I'm just expecting a band 6
    Preliminary courses (2016)

Mathematics Ext. 1 | Mathematics | English (Standard) | Biology | Business Studies | Music 2 | Software Design and Development

HSC courses (2017)

Mathematics Ext. 1 | Mathematics (2U) |English (Advanced) | Biology | Business Studies | Software Design and Development

ATAR aim: 95+

Dream course: Computer Science at UNSW/University of Sydney

HSC
    N/A

I forgot what the Fetch-Execute Cycle was. Other than that pretty much everything good.

ROBO i just wrote

BEGIN

REP 5 # "Directions + numbers" #

END

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by lilrose View Post
    I think it wasn't too difficult, does anyone have any predictions on what cut off will be this year? I was suprised they didn't have a question on software development approaches.
    yeah i was prepared to answer that... not in there.

but in the question about phased implementation I realised I discussed pilot so had to change it

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by blinkandyoullmissit View Post
    I forgot what the Fetch-Execute Cycle was. Other than that pretty much everything good.

ROBO i just wrote

BEGIN

REP 5 # "Directions + numbers" #

END
    With ROBO code did you put the ; after each statement?

And fetch-execute cycle is like the cycle undertaken by a CPU. Fetches instruction, decodes it, executes it, stores result.
    And I don't think we'd ever really remember everything in syllabus to the last detail anyway. (But I'm glad SDD/IPT seems to stick unlike Physics for me personally...)
    2017 HSC Courses

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by blinkandyoullmissit View Post
    yeah i was prepared to answer that... not in there.

but in the question about phased implementation I realised I discussed pilot so had to change it
    True. I think the only time I saw anything related to development approaches was in the MC with prototyping...
    2017 HSC Courses

HSC

yeah there was the five mark purchase module and i think 3-4 mark one with the numbers being divisibible by 2 and 3
    Oh yea. The second one I had to rewrite completely in a different booklet because I messed it up by using case-where and didn't realise my mistake until I completely finished writing it. But I used a pre-test loop and pretty much counted until a negative number was entered. But I struggled with the purchase module a quite a bit.
    2017 HSC Courses

HSC

Oh yea. The second one I had to rewrite completely in a different booklet because I messed it up by using case-where and didn't realise my mistake until I completely finished writing it. But I used a pre-test loop and pretty much counted until a negative number was entered. But I struggled with the purchase module a quite a bit.
    2017 HSC Courses

HSC
    N/A

guys, what was the circuit with the light bulb in the option? I got a XOR gate? Some are saying it related to the NAND flip flop from previous question?

HSC

I had an OR gate..
    silverdawn565 likes this.

Cadet
    HSC

I was really hoping there was a legal implication question, because I knew the case studies would have necked everyone.

Mathematics Ext. 1 | Mathematics | English (Standard) | Biology | Business Studies | Music 2 | Software Design and Development

HSC courses (2017)

Mathematics Ext. 1 | Mathematics (2U) |English (Advanced) | Biology | Business Studies | Software Design and Development

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticx View Post
    I had an OR gate..
    I draw an OR gate as well.

My Truth table (assuming that if both are on, light will still be on)

Switch 1 Switch 2 Light
    0 0 0
    0 1 1
    1 0 1
    1 1 1
    Last edited by matthewmatican; 31 Oct 2017 at 11:22 PM.

HSC
    N/A

See I understand that, but it said that every time a switch is turned on or off, the light changed states? Wouldn't that imply the last part of the truth table (1-1) would become a 0?
    Thus, I thought XOR. Anyway, I thought it was fairly ambiguously worded. We will both get 1 mark at least!

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Sxerks3 View Post
    I was really hoping there was a legal implication question, because I knew the case studies would have necked everyone.
    I was so happy when I saw there wasn't one, I always stuff those ones up

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by skelmo View Post
    See I understand that, but it said that every time a switch is turned on or off, the light changed states? Wouldn't that imply the last part of the truth table (1-1) would become a 0?
    Thus, I thought XOR. Anyway, I thought it was fairly ambiguously worded. We will both get 1 mark at least!
    I took the wording the same as you. So i simply used a XOR gate.

HSC

What did you guys get for that multiple choice question on what a one-dimensional array of Booleans could be used for?

Also I wasn't too sure about that binary search algorithm question where you had to fix the error in the code. I could only find one error which I fixed by changing the condition for the WHILE loop to (high - low) > 1. That would have stopped the infinite loop but since the question was like 2-3 marks, I feel like there was more errors in the code. Did anyone else find other errors?
    Last edited by jarrjam; 1 Nov 2017 at 10:15 AM.

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by jarrjam View Post
    What did you guys get for that multiple choice question on what a one-dimensional array of Booleans could be used for?

Also I wasn't too sure about that binary search algorithm question where you had to fix the error in the code. I could only find one error which I fixed by changing the condition for the WHILE loop to (high - low) > 1. That would have stopped the infinite loop but since the question was like 2-3 marks, I feel like there was more errors in the code. Did anyone else find other errors?
    I was confident it was the status of the traffic lights in a set, since they are either on or off (that was my reasoning for it).

Ahh, I wasn't confident with that, but I did notice "middle" instead of "Middle", which meant that they couldn't actually print anything out in the end, since variable names are case-sensitive. May have lost the only two marks in the whole exam, since I wasn't sure what the errors were. rip.

HSC courses (2017)

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Sxerks3 View Post
    I was confident it was the status of the traffic lights in a set, since they are either on or off (that was my reasoning for it).

Ahh, I wasn't confident with that, but I did notice "middle" instead of "Middle", which meant that they couldn't actually print anything out in the end, since variable names are case-sensitive. May have lost the only two marks in the whole exam, since I wasn't sure what the errors were. rip.
    Was it 'status' or 'state' of traffic lights? I read it as state of traffic lights, which I interpreted as whether the lights were red, yellow or green. I chose match results, because at the time I thought you could use booleans to represent either a win or a loss. And then I remembered after the exam that draws exist too (unless this particular football league didn't have draws).

As for the other question, I can't believe I didn't notice the lower case 'middle'. I remembered specifically searching for the misspelling of variable names for like 5 minutes. Well, there goes another mark.

Other than that and some of the other algorithm questions, the exam wasn't too difficult, especially the paradigms section. I praised the NESA gods when I saw there were no questions on the imperative paradigm.

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by jarrjam View Post
    Was it 'status' or 'state' of traffic lights? I read it as state of traffic lights, which I interpreted as whether the lights were red, yellow or green. I chose match results, because at the time I thought you could use booleans to represent either a win or a loss. And then I remembered after the exam that draws exist too (unless this particular football league didn't have draws).

As for the other question, I can't believe I didn't notice the lower case 'middle'. I remembered specifically searching for the misspelling of variable names for like 5 minutes. Well, there goes another mark.

Other than that and some of the other algorithm questions, the exam wasn't too difficult, especially the paradigms section. I praised the NESA gods when I saw there were no questions on the imperative paradigm.
    Oh yeah, it was state.

Yeah, my thoughts as well. There are three results that you can have for match results, whether they won, lost or they drew. But the state of the traffic lights could only be either "activated" or "inactivated". Hence, why I chose traffic lights. I could be wrong though, the wording was verrrry ambiguous, and you could technically argue neither.

Another mc, what did everyone put for the flowchart question (Q2)?
    Last edited by Sxerks3; 1 Nov 2017 at 12:08 PM. Reason: asking another q

HSC courses (2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information