Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: English Advanced Paper 2 [Discussion/Thoughts]

HSC

Re: English Advanced Paper 2 [Discussion/Thoughts]

Also, to anyone who did speeches:

I only noticed after the exam that you could've just talked about one speech. Because it didn't specify how many to do or anything.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    Except I do speeches and the whole "literature" thing threw me off. In most past years the question for speeches was specific to rhetoric and persuasion - and I just wasn't feeling it with this question. I liked the 'uncomfortable truths' bit because it was SOMEWHAT related to what I prepared but that was about it. Usually Mod B is my favourite but it was my worst one on the paper.
    Lmao I feel like such a dumbass - when I first read the question I thought it meant our texts themselves had to show an appreciation of literature, so I talked about Atwood and Lessing and how they themselves show a deep appreciation for literature, band 1 here we come
    jk jk I also argued that they allowed audiences to appreciate literature, so hopefully that gets at least a band 2 :,D

Also, to anyone who did speeches:

I only noticed after the exam that you could've just talked about one speech. Because it didn't specify how many to do or anything.
    Eh, unless they specifically asked for one speech I think it would be necessary to discuss at least two.
    Advanced English, 2U Math, Legal Studies, Society and Culture, Visual Arts

Cadet
    HSC

guys i'm not sure if i'm screwed but for module C i did people and landscapes and the question required us to EVALUATE, am i allowed to argue against the question? i did agree with the question for the first half of my essay but the second half of my essay is argueing against..i think i'm screwed lol

also, for the metropolis question, i didn't include the image in the beginning of my essay but i included IN my essay (i think in the third paragraph)..is that ok?? is that better than not mentioning it at all? i feel really really screwed lol
    2018 HSC

English adv, mathematics, Ext 1, biology, chemistry, SOR 1

atar goal: 92 to get into unsw engineering

Cadet
    HSC

I was kind of hoping for some more specific questions that would provide a bit more guidance as to what to write about - I really worked on not being too prepared and narrow, and then was a little bit lost initially.

Gatsby & Browning - talked about how differences in values highlights how values (gender, materialistic/deep love) change over time and hence produced conversation when viewed from different cultural viewpoints.

Hamlet - audience develops empathy for Hamlet due to appreciation his conflict, and faces uncomfortable truth that we too are isolated in our own worlds to a certain extent, also audience face uncomfortable certainty of our own deaths. Therefore, such an audience relationship with hamlet means we grow appreciation for text.

Crucible: Banged on about absolutist rule and how depiction of such rule prompts readers to consider their own views of all-consuming political power, and also consider the power they have in their own lives (John)

IT'S OVER THOUGH!!!!!! I am never going to read or write again!!
    Last edited by bjw22; 20 Oct 2018 at 1:40 PM.
    HSC 2018: Advanced English Maths Extension 1 Physics Chemistry Music 1

HSC

Module A: In the 5 minutes reading time, I was like "Wtf?? What kind of question is this? How would I even do this??" It wasn't until writing time did it hit me that it actually fit really well with my argument xD So yeah I'm confident with Mod A~
    Module B: Honestly a solid 10/20 would be God-sent at this point because it was just not good at all. I ran out of time so I had to split my paragraph into two so it didn't look like I just had one.
    Module C: Super easy and fit really well with my argument.
    supR and Plishelp like this.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by spaghettii View Post
    jk jk I also argued that they allowed audiences to appreciate literature, so hopefully that gets at least a band 2 :,D
    feels for my Hamlet essay
    supR likes this.

HSC

Lmao I feel like such a dumbass - when I first read the question I thought it meant our texts themselves had to show an appreciation of literature, so I talked about Atwood and Lessing and how they themselves show a deep appreciation for literature, band 1 here we come

Eh, unless they specifically asked for one speech I think it would be necessary to discuss at least two.
    Why? It's not a comparative study...

HSC

Why? It's not a comparative study...
    Idk, that's just what my teachers told us, that we should always use two since one isn't enough and three is too many
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Advanced English, 2U Math, Legal Studies, Society and Culture, Visual Arts

Cadet
    HSC

yeah u can do that, thats what i did, but you also have to link it to the uncomfortable truth and how that evokes empathy, as they highlight the importance of literature in doing this. Cause you havn't answered the question, uncomfortable truth would be gender inequality and global inequality, yea thats wat i talked about

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Ace0804 View Post
    yeah u can do that, thats what i did, but you also have to link it to the uncomfortable truth and how that evokes empathy, as they highlight the importance of literature in doing this. Cause you havn't answered the question, uncomfortable truth would be gender inequality and global inequality, yea thats wat i talked about
    I did this too except I did it for Keating and Sadat since I prepared for them the most. I said that the speeches themselves are works of literature and how they evoke empathy within the audience and the uncomfortable truths are political tension and what not.
    Hopefully that’ll be enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Adv. English | 2U Maffs | Physics | Chemistry | PDHPE

HSC 2018

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by supR View Post
    Nah man I wouldn't cut our USYD and UQ so quickly, you can still get in! (Depending on the course of course xP)
    Also Misfits, which eSport?
    I watch League and Overwatch. Misfits own an OWL franchise - Florida Mayhem.

And the two subjects I put down at USYD was Commerce and Commerce/Law. Definitely out of the latter but the former I've got a slim chance of making it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information