• 1 Post By jem1690
  • 1 Post By spaghettii
  • 1 Post By jjuunnee
  • 1 Post By jltech
  • 2 Post By spaghettii

Thread: HSC Legal Studies Exam Thoughts

HSC

HSC Legal Studies Exam Thoughts

Everybody good luck with the legal exam tomorrow. Leave your thoughts about it below if you want
    Last edited by pikachu975; 22 Oct 2018 at 1:04 AM.
    pikachu975 likes this.

HSC

Re: HSC Legal Studies Exam Thoughts

Good luck
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

HSC

Found the exam pretty easy. The essay questions were broad, and human rights was straightforward. Just one or two odd multiple choice questions.

HSC

Legal was easy, the essay questions were good, the crime essay was broad as all hell, and the HR shorts were incredibly straightforward. A multi choice question messed with my mind but the rest was easy. Absolutely popped off in the option essays, pushing the 2nd booklet for both. WO was super easy, and the GEP question was easy if you knew the contemporary issues.
    Last edited by SirLaptop; 22 Oct 2018 at 6:59 PM.

HSC

Yeah pretty much what everyone else thought - Multiple Choice questions were a bit unexpected and aimed to trick us eg that question on the legal representation one? that was for most serious crimes right? Human rights was aight - god bless i studied separation of powers 4 questions tho and the shelter essay was ai yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa family was aight tho
    I spend too much time on this website

HSC 2018!!

English Advanced Genny Maths Biology Legal Studies Modern History Economics History Extension

HSC

That was by far the easiest legal exam out of all the trial papers and past hsc papers I've seen

...so naturally, I fucked up world order lmao
    Nah but that was a pretty easy exam, the raw marks to get a b6 are probably gonna be bumped up as a result
    Advanced English, 2U Math, Legal Studies, Society and Culture, Visual Arts

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Any similarities with peoples trials?
    l’appel du vide

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

HSC
    N/A

for one of multiple choice q with ICC and high court of Aus, what did everyone put? I put it as ICC but then remembered how ICC was court of last resort, now im kind of thinking maybe high court of aus the answer

but yea that exam was pre broad and easier than I thought it would be

HSC

i found the exam pretty easy, thank god the essay questions were pretty broad, might crack that band 4/5

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by hello067 View Post
    for one of multiple choice q with ICC and high court of Aus, what did everyone put? I put it as ICC but then remembered how ICC was court of last resort, now im kind of thinking maybe high court of aus the answer

i put down ICC as well bc i think it was for genocide with is a CAIC and why would the australian high court prosecute someone for a crime not done in australia??? also pretty sure high court only has appellate jurisdiction for crime
    [FONT=Century Gothic][I]2017 HSC : 2U Maths (94)

2018 HSC : Eng Adv | 3U Maths | 4U Maths | Bio | Legal

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by hello067 View Post

Yeah I put ICC, no way it could've been High Court since the offence was outside of Aus (leader of another country)
    Was tossing up between ICC and ICJ for a while though
    SirLaptop likes this.

HSC

I instantly put ICC for that question, because the High Court and ICJ doesn't cover genocide. I was tricked by the deportation one (q20) into putting "They can be deported if the judge uses discretion to order deportation as part of the sentence", rather than "They can be deported if they serve a sentence of 1 year or more". I knew both of those were correct but I knew the one I answered was the more logical one.

As said before the multis were on the easier end but a couple mess with your mind and trick you into answering something else. At times there is 2 correct answers, and the actual correct answer is the most logical one.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by SirLaptop View Post
    I was tricked by the deportation one (q20) into putting "They can be deported if the judge uses discretion to order deportation as part of the sentence", rather than "They can be deported if they serve a sentence of 1 year or more". I knew both of those were correct but I knew the one I answered was the more logical one.
    What does everyone think the correct answer was for that question?

HSC

Meh

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by boredofhsc12 View Post
    What does everyone think the correct answer was for that question?
    chose c which was that they can be deported if they serve a sentence of 1 year or more. pretty sure the minister of immigration orders deportations not judges
    spaghettii likes this.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][I]2017 HSC : 2U Maths (94)

2018 HSC : Eng Adv | 3U Maths | 4U Maths | Bio | Legal

HSC
    N/A

Ooh oops well atleast what I chose was right... and yea I also chose that they can be departed if they served sentence of one year or more.. I was pretty confused with that one aswell

HSC

Another hugely annoying MC question for me was the legal aid question because my teacher said it is serious crimes but a serious crime doesn't necessarily mean that the defendant is pleading guilty or if theres no injustices occurring. but if the defendant is appealing against the conviction that means that theoretically they believe that there was an injustice that occurred and thats the main aspect of approving legal aid (other than means test but thats irrelevant here)

HSC

I've added a screenshot that shows that legal aid can be approved in cases in the local court (non serious crimes) proving that one wrong-ish. If y'all get your teachers on this they can change the answer which will allow both to be correct help the boredofstudies community out fam
    Attached Images Attached Images

HSC

The legal aid M/C question was really weird. For legal aid to be granted, people must pass the 4 tests, (1) means (2) jurisdiction (3) merits (4) availability of funds. In the Dietrich v The Queen 1992 case, the High Court ruled that in SERIOUS offences a trial could be indefinitely stayed (delayed) until legal representation is available. BUT this doesn't actually mean that committing a more serious offence increases your chance of legal aid - individuals for serious offences must still pass the 4 tests. Interestingly, it was precisely in this Dietrich case that Dietrich was DENIED legal aid because he refused to plead guilty. But I'm not sure if this applies to all cases.

Still torn between 'pleading guilty' and 'serious offence'. Dunno which one's the best answer here. If a more serious offence occurs, the damage to the accused will be greater, increasing their 'merits' component of legal aid, thus increasing their chances. In the same way, Ditriech demonstrates that legal aid can be denied purely on the basis that one refuses to plead guilty.
    jem1690 likes this.

HSC

I don't see the point in legal aid if you plead guilty though? Isn't the point of legal aid to have someone properly represent you/support your case, which you wouldn't really need if you plead guilty?
    Idk that's just what I thought, I ended up choosing the 'serious offence' option bc of Dietrich v The Queen, I personally feel it'd make more sense for legal aid to be prioritised to those who would be at risk of an injustice in a serious offence
    jjuunnee and Lindzay like this.

HSC

Yeah I chose 'serious crime' too - I think it was in a past multiple choice paper or something but that Dietrich v Queen established the 'limited' right to legal representation/legal aid especially if there is an injustice likely to occur and in the most serious of crimes like the others have said (oh yeah just remember I lost that mark in my half yearlies) but yeah legal aid i think is more so towards those crimes that are pretty serious
    I spend too much time on this website

HSC 2018!!

English Advanced Genny Maths Biology Legal Studies Modern History Economics History Extension

HSC

Btw guys the paper has been already posted on NESA's website, Here's the link for it
    http://educationstandards.nsw.edu.au...56d8ae-mqEfS4r

HSC

What the vegie forum I have stumbled upon

jk xxxx I do senior science x

HSC

and CAFS

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by jltech View Post
    The legal aid M/C question was really weird. For legal aid to be granted, people must pass the 4 tests, (1) means (2) jurisdiction (3) merits (4) availability of funds. In the Dietrich v The Queen 1992 case, the High Court ruled that in SERIOUS offences a trial could be indefinitely stayed (delayed) until legal representation is available. BUT this doesn't actually mean that committing a more serious offence increases your chance of legal aid - individuals for serious offences must still pass the 4 tests. Interestingly, it was precisely in this Dietrich case that Dietrich was DENIED legal aid because he refused to plead guilty. But I'm not sure if this applies to all cases.

Still torn between 'pleading guilty' and 'serious offence'. Dunno which one's the best answer here. If a more serious offence occurs, the damage to the accused will be greater, increasing their 'merits' component of legal aid, thus increasing their chances. In the same way, Ditriech demonstrates that legal aid can be denied purely on the basis that one refuses to plead guilty.
    It is serious offence. Legal aid isn't granted for anyone who has plea bargained because of resource efficiency.

Thread Information