Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Carrotsticks' Extension 2 HSC 2018 Solutions + Memes

HSC
    N/A
    01001110 01100101 01110111 00100000 01010011 01101111 01110101 01110100 01101000 00100000 01010111 01100001 01101100 01100101 01110011

Re: Carrotsticks' Extension 2 HSC 2018 Solutions + Memes

Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxica View Post
    exposure to all of elementary mathematics will help but there are only so many hours in a human lifetime.
    Yes indeed in this finite hours of our lives, how does one achieve that 99?
    Please doth elaborate on the elementary mathmatics part

HSC

carrotsticks, youz such a hero
    HSC 2012: Advanced English, Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2.

2013 -2018: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UNSW

2014: Diploma of Screen and Media @ Sydney Film School

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by HeroWise View Post
    LOLLL U actually made me look it up.... AND IT EXISTS

But like, with all seriousness, what would you guys have done to better prepare for the last questions ? WHat would you have changed to cater for these questions?
    if u want exposure to more maths:
    since u have so much time there is alot more you can do. I would recommend entering maths competitions, particularly the Australian maths competition and unsw school maths competition in addition to any others (like icas). Also would strongly recommend BoS trials. You also have the option to read maths journals or whatnot, or maths Olympiad books which are extremelyyyyyyyyy difficult, where each question is meant to take about an hour or more. Also maths YouTube videos:
    -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjwOWaOX-c-NeLnj_YGiNEg
    -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1_uAIS3r8Vu6JjXWvastJg
    -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEI9wNw9a4cJfejeAU6J2wQ

However textbooks are better, although vids aren't a bad start.
    good genres of textbooks focused on problem solving:
    -Olympiad textbooks (very advanced.)
    -maths (pre-university)puzzle textbooks (fun+ mentally stimulating with a focus on creative thinking usually. in particular Professor Povey's Perplexing Problems)
    -textbooks focused on a specific topic, with an emphasis on proofs. (you will likely see many potential q16s)

I focused somewhat on extracurricular maths because i found it funner. Although i feel it has helped, it should not make up the bulk of your study.

With enough exposure+ doing past papers you should eventually get better.
    However I can't accurately comment because I didn't get 99, but doing the above will hopefully build you problem solving abilities, and knowledge in the area.

https://www.matrix.edu.au/matthew-wi...2-mathematics/
    this article says to focus on building a deep understanding of all the content which is probably the best approach tbh. I would recommend following it in particular on your last year of high-school.

I would also recommend not looking at the solutions, but spending alot more time trying to answer every question. Solving a difficult problem that you couldn't solve initially will be worth the effort in the long run, since problems of that nature will become easier to solve later on(moreso than reading solutions). I would argue that this is the best way to improve. Perhaps keep a list of questions you found difficult and do them later on. ekman has a good list of problems.

Since you have so much time, you can try many different things and reflect on what feels effective, especially since you have a way to track your progress (past papers). However studying for exams should come first(although maybe not in prelim), the article above dictates a pretty good approach.

But that being said there is alot more to do then just getting better at maths. For example you could enter some university computing courses in high school( https://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/...mputing-hs1511 ). It assumes no prior knowledge btw.

Knowing the content 2 years ahead of time is a really big advantage. If study regularly for it, you will almost certainly get a great mark.
    Last edited by mrbunton; 10 Nov 2018 at 4:41 PM.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by mrbunton View Post
    if u want exposure to more maths:
    since u have so much time there is alot more you can do. I would recommend entering maths competitions, particularly the Australian maths competition and unsw school maths competition in addition to any others (like icas). Also would strongly recommend BoS trials. You also have the option to read maths journals or whatnot, or maths Olympiad books which are extremelyyyyyyyyy difficult, where each question is meant to take about an hour or more. Also maths YouTube videos:
    -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjwOWaOX-c-NeLnj_YGiNEg
    -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1_uAIS3r8Vu6JjXWvastJg
    -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEI9wNw9a4cJfejeAU6J2wQ

However textbooks are better, although vids aren't a bad start.
    good genres of textbooks focused on problem solving:
    -Olympiad textbooks (very advanced.)
    -maths (pre-university)puzzle textbooks (fun+ mentally stimulating with a focus on creative thinking usually. in particular Professor Povey's Perplexing Problems)
    -textbooks focused on a specific topic, with an emphasis on proofs. (you will likely see many potential q16s)

I focused somewhat on extracurricular maths because i found it funner. Although i feel it has helped, it should not make up the bulk of your study.

With enough exposure+ doing past papers you should eventually get better.
    However I can't accurately comment because I didn't get 99, but doing the above will hopefully build you problem solving abilities, and knowledge in the area.

https://www.matrix.edu.au/matthew-wi...2-mathematics/
    this article says to focus on building a deep understanding of all the content which is probably the best approach tbh. I would recommend following it in particular on your last year of high-school.

I would also recommend not looking at the solutions, but spending alot more time trying to answer every question. Solving a difficult problem that you couldn't solve initially will be worth the effort in the long run, since problems of that nature will become easier to solve later on(moreso than reading solutions). I would argue that this is the best way to improve. Perhaps keep a list of questions you found difficult and do them later on. ekman has a good list of problems.

Since you have so much time, you can try many different things and reflect on what feels effective, especially since you have a way to track your progress (past papers). However studying for exams should come first(although maybe not in prelim), the article above dictates a pretty good approach.

But that being said there is alot more to do then just getting better at maths. For example you could enter some university computing courses in high school( https://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/...mputing-hs1511 ). It assumes no prior knowledge btw.

Knowing the content 2 years ahead of time is a really big advantage. If study regularly for it, you will almost certainly get a great mark.
    Can you name some of these olympiad textbooks/maths puzzle textbooks, i cant seem to find the right ones

Cadet
    HSC

the textbooks for both types can exceed the difficulty of ext 2.

when u search up maths Olympiad book, you get international maths Olympiad books, not sure what you mean. Im not able to answer International Maths Olympiad questions, nor can most people but i thought i would list it. Besides that alot of the content isn't taught in school. Australian maths competition past-question books are a good start thou, most questions below 20 are easy. (format goes from question 1-30, as you go on questions become harder, you might have to ask ur teacher to borrow the book if they have it). the ussr olympiad problem book is available online (if u google it) and has some good questions, although still very difficult. Reading the solutions for the unsw school maths competition (which is posted on their website) i found to be interesting.

- i listed a puzzle book already, which you can find online for free. Cambridge admission questions for maths are supposed to be similar btw.

Because (i assume) it's your last year in high-school i would not recommend getting too far into Olympiad training books, however those channels post videos about questions which sometimes lie within the ext2 curriculum.

You could also do difficult ext2 problems (Ekman's Compilation of MX2 Questions for example) from BoS and other resources, like your ext2 textbook.

exposure to difficult questions in addition to unfamiliar, sometimes new threads of logic is what studying outside the curriculum is partially meant to achieve. Building a deeper understanding of the content is also important, and something these books do not do.
    Last edited by mrbunton; 11 Nov 2018 at 11:33 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information