Sparcod's Word Of Advice To Year 11! (Take it) (1 Viewer)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Hey!
To all those starting year 11 soon, I'm taking this oppurtunity to give you advice an some tips on starting up on that important road to the HSC. I bet you that all of you have forgotten about the school certificate already.

Sparcod's 10-Point Plan
1.Don't listen to anybody who says: "Oh year 11 doesn't count towards the HSC so don't study as hard and bludge!". It's true that the prelim. marks doesn't count towards the HSC. "Preliminary" means introductory. Take this oppurtunity to try your best and to practise those essay-writing skills and to adopt good study and exam techniques. Also, many of the year 11 stuff form the basis of year 12 stuff. This is true mostly for maths.

2.Know the basics (not the encyclopaedia) of the HSC marking and scaling system of the UAI. Read the BOS Info-booklet. Know the rules.

3.If you need help...ask a smarter classmate, a teacher or post it on this site! ("We" can help! Post it under "whatever subject" forum. Your thread won't be overshadowed by more important ones by year 12ers)

4.Changing a subject??
Don't be shy. It takes a few weeks to get to know what the subject is about. Look through textbooks, exam papers; ask teachers or students who've done it to find what that subject is about. If you don't like it, change it. It's easier to change it earlier than later (say at the end of year 11). Look at the DOZENS of choosing subjects threads.

5.Stay up-to-date (don't learn at the last-minute) and pay attention in class and do your homework!! (Yes..procrastination)

6.Seek advice if you need to. (Stop staring at me like that). Even the best students seek advice. Teachers,parents, peers. Read "maximising your uai" by Peter Sheahan. Great Advice Pete!...always treat a disease as early as possible.
Get a tutor. (Don't think that tutoring is a sign of weakness. It's a sign of striving for the best.)
From 5. and 6., if you don't know what 1 + 1 is, could you work out what 45-39 is? and further more...the roots of 2x^2 + 3x +1??

7.Don't lose temper. I bet that all of you will stress, struggle for time or burn out within the next 22 months.

8.Revise constantly. Exam papers, exercises from other books. You name it!! Keep your mind on track.

9.Adopt good study techniques- check this site! No last-minuters.. (Noone can study properly at 2am at night.) There are DOZENS of "how to get 90+ in_____" around. Look for them!

10.Set a goal. What's your dream job? What UAI do you want?

In summary with quotes.
"Work then play"
"Make hay while the sun shines"
"Every great journey begins with a single step"
"The grass is greener on the other side" (There are an infinite amount of oppurtunities. Go for it! The HSC is only the beginning)

In the coming week...Organise yourself!
Usual stuff like Pencil cases, books covered...maybe a few study guides.
NB. For maths, don't get ones that say prelim., get ones that say HSC. In hsc exams, some of the stuff tested are year 11 stuff.

FAQ
I'm scared, what'll the first few weeks of year 11 be like?
Everybody is scared.
Different people give different opinions. This is what I, and many others, thought:
- I swear, the 1st day of year 11 reminded me of my first day of year 7 and it felt like it too. I don't know why. Maybe it's the changeover in uniform, the departure of many old peers and arrival of new faces, the sudden increase in workload, new subjects, new playground rights or maybe it's because we're scared or maybe it's because year 7s and year 11s start on the same day or maybe confusion.
-Didnt't like it but it took time for me to get use to it. It was hectic- sudden increase in workload.
Don't Panic!! Everybody in your year feels the same.

I stuffed the SC, does that mean I'll do bad in the HSC too?
No..if you work hard!
Now is the time to turn that leaf over to the other side and start fresh! You all get a fresh start whether you got 51 or 99 in Geography and all have the possibility of getting a UAI of 100.

Study Habits??
-I'd say 2 hours max. Cut back on "unnecessary" stuff. Not all, but some.
-Take up a hobby or sport to relax yourself and to break free. A machine working for 5 hours straight is at risk of having its fuse blown up.
- There are DOZENS of "how to get 99+" threads around. Pay attention!

There is life after the HSC. Doing poorly is not the end of the world. The oppurtunities expand as far as the ends of the universe. If you need help, ask one of us!
Sparcod.

(I'll add more later.)

Last edited:

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Thanks for the advice...eep...I am SO scared >.<'''

Already organised everything in preparatin for Year 11 weeks ago :p See I can be so fussy sometimes...too afraid to forget anything for the first day :p Ah well, Year 11's bound to start anyhow. Guess I'd just try not to panic...much. Deep breaths, deep breaths...

P

pLuvia

You can also add this Sparcod under FAQ

Should I bother trying in year 11, since it doesn't matter?

Year 11 things are Assumed Knowledge for year 12, meaning you should already know the Preliminary things before you start 12. But if you are a bit rusty I recommend you just go over things you aren't confident with.

I have no clue what I want to do in university, what should I do?

Many people in year 11 didn't know what their goal at the end of year 12 was, i.e. go to university, get a full-time job. But things like this will come around eventually if not sooner. Ask around if you have questions with any specific courses.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
airie said:
Thanks for the advice...eep...I am SO scared >.<'''

Already organised everything in preparatin for Year 11 weeks ago :p See I can be so fussy sometimes...too afraid to forget anything for the first day :p Ah well, Year 11's bound to start anyhow. Guess I'd just try not to panic...much. Deep breaths, deep breaths...
model student hehe. im sure you be fine ! =] another word of advice is that you should make as much stupid mistakes as you can during year 11. so when you get to yr12 in term 4 you would have gotten them all out of the way. and yes don't get in the habit of procrastination because once you make it consistant you would find it very hard to change ! good luck to you guys ..

A l

HSC
N/A
pLuvia said:
Should I bother trying in year 11, since it doesn't matter?
Year 11 things are Assumed Knowledge for year 12, meaning you should already know the Preliminary things before you start 12. But if you are a bit rusty I recommend you just go over things you aren't confident with.
There should be extra emphasis on this. I know too many people who have neglected the importance of the Preliminary course and have a difficult time coping with the HSC course. Just because the assessment tasks do not contribute to the final HSC mark, doesn't mean that you need not to pay attention to the content of the Preliminary course.
The Preliminary course content forms the foundations of the HSC course content especially on syllabus outcomes and skills-based requirements. Many believe that the Preliminary course should only be most emphasised on Mathematics because it is the only subject where the Preliminary course is directly examined. Although this is true, the effort required should be the same for all subjects. If you do not understand the basics of the Preliminary course thoroughly, then you will have a hard time understanding the HSC course unless you revise the Preliminary course thoroughly in your own time (which in effect takes up more of your time which could have been dedicated to application in the HSC course). This applies for ALL SUBJECTS!!!

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
lol.

And to add to Sparcod's Word of Advice:

Remember the 5 P's!
Prior Preparation Prevents Poor Performance

my business teacher kept on telling me that over and over again. it got stuck in my head.
but she got told that by an army officer. The 5 P's can be implemented anywhere in life. Remember those 5 P's; and u'll be alrite for most of the part.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
'A little bit at a time'

My school seems to live off this quote for both Preliminary and HSC year and it is true everything is so much easier when you are constantly do a bit everyday and it ensures that the work doesn't just build up and you can study in plenty of time before exams.

And for the class of '07 don't worry (to much) we have all been through Preliminary year and although the first day may feel like year 7 all over again, rest assured you are now a senior this is your time to excel and achieve where you may have fallen in the HSC!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Nice advice guys, especially Sparcod! The thread has been stickied as requested. :)

dreamer7

HSC
Yes...only a week to go. I'm not really that scared, I think I prepared myself pretty well for the senior years by studying for the SC. I find that if you're calm and tell yourself you can achieve something, you do.

Great advice. I'm currently having a bit of a problem. I used to have my heart set on being a journalist..It was like, my life's ambition. But now I really have no idea what I want to do. I just love so many things; science, music, English, history...I just don't know what to do. Is there any way I can find out what I'm best at/most suited to?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Work it out as you're going along in life.

Rarely at this stage of life will anyone have a clear, definite idea of what they are going to do later in life. Just do what you are interested in, and you will figure out what you want to do.

userdk

HSC
heya, Sparcod [=

Thanks for Your Word of Advice!

Deep and Meaningful!

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
lol yeh 11 is especially stessful, especially for people entering a new school :(

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
drynxz said:
lol yeh 11 is especially stessful, especially for people entering a new school :(
Yeah, making new friends, trying to catch up on work that they've already done :(

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
drynxz said:
i entered a new school for yr11. best thing that happened to me because i finally started to do work =]

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
i entered a new school for yr11. best thing that happened to me because i finally started to do work =]
hey what school did u go to?? and what school are u in now?

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
i went to Trinity in Auburn now at De la Salle Ashfield. yourself?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)