Distinction Courses 2007 (1 Viewer)

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Hey, anyone thinking of doing a distinction course next year?

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
take my advice. if you have the units for it. if u think u'll be able to cope and u'll remain motivated. if you are interested in the subject. then do it.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
lol yalla hey gabz, lets take ova da world!! muahahahaha

kloudsurfer

HSC
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what is a distinction course?
Ive heard of them but i dont know what they are...

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Haha, sounds tough. Gab, are you going to do one of those D-courses?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Acceleration in a HSC subject, usually to the highest level of that subject(though there are exceptions, eg Bookie). You then need approval of your school or something like that. Your case is then sent out and you get evaluated etc.

http://www.distinction.nsw.edu.au/faq.asp#q3

live.fast

HSC
N/A
I bet they only accept peoples with marks like 98's and 99's...ah well

there goes my hopes... =(

Farscape

HSC
I was thinking of going for the cosmology distinction course but I think they are hard to get in to, so I think my chances are pretty slim.

Quote from the cosmology site,
This course is designed specifically for Gifted and Talented students, and is Internationally recognised as one of the highest quality, challenging and exciting tertiary level courses offered to any student below post-graduate level.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
kami said:
Acceleration in a HSC subject, usually to the highest level of that subject(though there are exceptions, eg Bookie). You then need approval of your school or something like that. Your case is then sent out and you get evaluated etc.

http://www.distinction.nsw.edu.au/faq.asp#q3
Yeah, I heard about Bookie making it in with only accelerated 2 unit mathematics, hopefully I can get in with accelerated extension 1 mathematics :)
Farscape said:
I was thinking of going for the cosmology distinction course but I think they are hard to get in to, so I think my chances are pretty slim.
These are difficult courses to get into, firstly you have to perform well in an accelerated course, then you have to get through the evaluation processes before getting in. Good luck with applying :)

Bookie

Banned
HSC
haha, kids, if you have accelrated, I suggest that every single one of you at least goes to the information day (usually mid November), and then make up your mind for application, and then eventually if you get the call accept or decline the offer. I, as mentioned, do Cosmology now and its great fun. You do something interesting that pushes your thinking all the while making some awesome friends.

As for getting into a course, I cant give you the exact requirements, but it varies. DO NOT TAKE THIS AS A GUIDE, but I'll just give you examples of who got in and who didnt;

- one kid from wollongong accelerated 8 units and got high 90s for all of them
- one kid from western sydney accelerated 6 units and only got 70s and 80s but he got in
- most kids just accelerated a 2 unit science / history / arts course
- most kids who accelerated maths did all 4 units and got 90s
- i myself and a few others just did 2 units of maths and got accepted, we all got 95+
- cant think of anyone who accelerated nothing, but you could always give it a shot.

I beleive you do need to have a fairly commendable academic history, but they wouldnt be too strict as long as your principal gives you the OK.

Thats all I have to say I guess. Feel free to post some questions or PM me about cosmology or DCs in general

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)