Eng Adv. Poetry of John Donne (1 Viewer)

xinxin89

HSC
Has anyone else studied his poems? like "The Flea", "The Sun Rising" and "A Valediction Forbiddinig Mourning".

I am currently studying those three poems under the Critical Study of Texts module, we're analysing feminist readings of the poems. I reeli need some notes that r related to that, my teacher isn't reeli a english teacher, so our class is pretty much stuffed for dis upcoming assessment, so it'd be greatly appreciated if anyone has notes on this.

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
I don't study John Donne, but I do John Keats, lol. Have you had a look at the Resources section of this site? Go on the BOS main page > Resources tab > Click on English (adv, or standard) > Prelim

If you have already, try doing a search on these forums.

dukey

HSC
Ahhh John Donne :)

"A Valediction Forbiddinig Mourning" I am not clear with but "The Sunne Rising" and "The Flea" I have studied for at tutor for about 3 months. Feel free to ask me anything about these two poems.

arrynaurelia

HSC
well i dont have any feminist notes [though i do have some on othello] but we did have to annotate the hell out of those poems so if you need them...
feel free to ask.

Lani89

HSC
Ohh he irritates me so much. At my school our exam was on "the sun rising" and as soon as the teacher left the room we were all like WTF?!?!? Hardly anyone knew it was about the end of his night's sexual activities with his lover or whateva. I find him really contradictory and insane.

dukey

HSC
lol when I first read "the sunne rising", I too was confuzzled..
but after reading it thoroughly, I understood.
Quite clever. I believe its hard to comprehend because tis in the form of an apostrophe and the whole poem is basically an extended metaphor/conceit

xinxin89

HSC
yea any notes would be great, we just got an assessment to visually represent a feminist reading and our own reading of one of the poems. no idea wat i'm sposed to do...does anyone know wat the diff is between a reading and an interpretation?

Evercursed

Troubled Thinker
HSC
Well, Donne belongs to the school of "Metaphysical poets" who attempted to place contrasting ideas and binary oppositions into a single concept, which challenged and confronted the social views and stigmas of his era. Donne's social context was still heavily dominated by religion and medieval views towards sex and in his poem, "The Flea", Donne attempted to undermine those views by utilising a religious diction and allusions to Christ's suffering by suggesting the killing of the flea as a great religious event. The use of pun in the 20th verse "purpled thy nail in the blood of innocence" implies that the flea, like Christ, was ruthlessly persecuted on the cross, but this suggestion is only subverted in the 25th verse, when the narrator uses the flea's death to his own advantage by stating "just so much honour thou yeildst to me will waste, as this flea's death took life from thee."

tigerian

HSC
N/A
xinxin89 said:
yea any notes would be great, we just got an assessment to visually represent a feminist reading and our own reading of one of the poems. no idea wat i'm sposed to do...does anyone know wat the diff is between a reading and an interpretation?
Did you get the email i sent you about this?

xinxin89

HSC
Yes I have send an email to the address you gave me, hope you've received it

tigerian said:
Did you get the email i sent you about this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)