Hours to study per night (1 Viewer)

Danger

HSC
About how many hours should I be studying/doing homework each night if I want an UAI of 99+?

shona1990

HSC
In year 11, not much. It's good to get into good studying habits and to beat procrastination, but you don't need to study your ass off in year 11, as none of the marks count. Just get yourself into good habits.

shona1990

HSC
Oh, right, you're about to go into year 12. I keep forgetting that. I dunno. A lot. Work heaps on assessments. Do weekly reviews and summaries. And LOTS of past papers. Just make sure you keep up to date, do very well in all your assessment tasks, and extra work to make sure you totally understand everything. Don't focus on the amount of hours you do, focus on the work that's being done.

Danger

HSC
is it a good method to finish 2 science courses (excluding the options for now) by yourself at home in about 3 months and spend the rest of the year going over the notes/content until you are 100% familiar with everything?

kirstenetsrik

HSC
every night summarise what u did previously that day or tick off the syllabus what you learned - this helps when ur studying for ur trials or for the hsc. you wont need write notes and saves more time for studying
every weekend have at least one day where you dont go out. study for the whole day or do some revision - this helps especially if you're behind in class

genril

Banned
HSC
Because obtaining a UAI of 99+ is completely relative to how many hours of study you participate in per night, nothing to do with methods, efficiency or you as an individual.

But hey, judging from that question, I am going to go right ahead and say there aren't enough hours in the day for you to obtain 99+.

HSC
You guys ned to start early, early and good habits wil be useful in the end

iamsickofyear12

HSC
genril said:
Because obtaining a UAI of 99+ is completely relative to how many hours of study you participate in per night, nothing to do with methods, efficiency or you as an individual.
Hours of study is the most important factor though.

Methods and efficiency are important but not nearly as much.

Intelligence is almost irrelevant.

lala2

Banned
HSC
There is no set amount of hours you need to study--you just need to "consistently cram" as I see it--like you're always consistently studying but cramming for assessments and things. Just remember to keep up a good rank (preferably first if you're from a not-so-good school), and remember to answer the question WELL! Yes, revising will help you remember stuff that might be useful answering the question, but if you don't answer it the right way, or go off on your own tangent, you won't get the marks needed. Namely, action verbs! (discuss, evaluate, etc). And if it's something like maths, well just make sure you write down a good (and correct and logical) answer.

T

Testpilot

genril said:

But hey, judging from that question, I am going to go right ahead and say there aren't enough hours in the day for you to obtain 99+.
HSC is all about rote learning, so it really rewards the hard workers.

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
lol, thanks for the advices. So doing many hours of studying is needed.

But what time do you guys sleep to fit in so many hours, what do you recommend the time we should sleep? You can't possibly say that to study many hours a day, having no sleep would get you good marks.

What about exercising? How much exercising do you guys do to get just enough for your brain to understand things easier?

zy

HSC
this may sound stupid but i've developed this technique which allows me to play games while studying. it's perfect for rote learning.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Shadose said:
lol, thanks for the advices. So doing many hours of studying is needed.

But what time do you guys sleep to fit in so many hours, what do you recommend the time we should sleep? You can't possibly say that to study many hours a day, having no sleep would get you good marks.

What about exercising? How much exercising do you guys do to get just enough for your brain to understand things easier?
When I was in year 12 I went to sleep close to midnight and got up at 6, but staying up until midnight had nothing to do with studying. You should get the right amount of sleep for you. So 7 - 9 hours if you are an average person. You shouldn't sacrifice sleep for study, you should sacrifice everything else... social life, free time etc.

Use exercise as a break from studying.

T

Testpilot

zy said:
this may sound stupid but i've developed this technique which allows me to play games while studying. it's perfect for rote learning.
Please do not say educational games.

zy

HSC
Testpilot said:
Please do not say educational games.
lolo

btw: don't tell anyone (irl) how many hours you're planning to study. you will get laughed at.

undalay

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Hours of study is the most important factor though.

Methods and efficiency are important but not nearly as much.

Intelligence is almost irrelevant.
I disagree. You could spend 12 hours a day "studying" while playing dota, or you could spend 2 hours in a library will no distractions. I would bet that the person that effeciently used their time would gain better results.

and intelligence does matter, it can be the difference between 10 minutes required to understand complex numbers, or 10 hours.

However these are only my opinions, and have no scientific basis what so ever.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
undalay said:
I disagree. You could spend 12 hours a day "studying" while playing dota, or you could spend 2 hours in a library will no distractions. I would bet that the person that effeciently used their time would gain better results.

and intelligence does matter, it can be the difference between 10 minutes required to understand complex numbers, or 10 hours.

However these are only my opinions, and have no scientific basis what so ever.
I don't count studying while doing other things as studying. So whether you read or make notes, follow the syllabus or textbook or whatever you are going to benefit about the same.

Intelligence only matters to a point. If you are a complete moron then obviously you are going to have a hard time, but the difference between an average person and a smart person is almost nothing, it all comes down to the amount of work done.

DaveYoung

Awesome
HSC
My 0 hours a night has worked through high school......should probably do more though.

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
DaveTurnbull said:
My 0 hours a night has worked through high school......should probably do more though.
0 hours? What have you've been doing with all that time?

undalay

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I don't count studying while doing other things as studying. So whether you read or make notes, follow the syllabus or textbook or whatever you are going to benefit about the same.

Intelligence only matters to a point. If you are a complete moron then obviously you are going to have a hard time, but the difference between an average person and a smart person is almost nothing, it all comes down to the amount of work done.
I still disagree, sorry if it feels like i'm arguing with you :/

For mathematics for example, if you just do textbook questions, and solve them all in a cookie cutter manner, once a question comes up that slightly deviates from the norm, alot of people would be unable to do it. Similarly, you could have absolute knowledge of the entire syllabus etc, but not understand what is the correct format of presenting the information.

I won't talk about intelligence, as we'll eventually end up in 'does the hsc indicate intelligence' debate once more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)