Attention: Year 11's and 12's (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
I just want to know about the books to buy in the holidays so i can get a head start to the HSC, like Excel and stuff lyk that.

I'm doing 3U Maths, 2U Adv Eng, Chem, Physics, Business Studies and Economics

Felix Jones

HSC
dont buy excel..they are the shittest books out there. books like maquarie would be much more helpful, also in the hollies try to first borrow books from ur local library and see which ones suits you before purchasing them, if you choose to do so.

suzlee

HSC
I heard that for maths, Fitzpatrick and Cambridge textbooks are good. Don't quote me :p

heart-station

HSC
N/A
But what if your local library is pretty limited, as in all they have are excel textbooks -__-

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
I borrowed a year 11 prelim maths textbook from my teacher before holidays.

I would go check out your libraries for stuff and dont buy anything until next year because most schools provide textbooks for the year and they arent exactly cheap.

TBK11

HSC
Best Books
Dot Point-Physics
Dot Point- Chemistry
dot point- Business Studies

those three books i reckon kick ass as they cover everysingle dot point in the HSC Syallbus

Last edited:

heart-station

HSC
N/A
But its the holidays, no more school so i can't borrow from school library =/

I've checked out the libraries in and around my area. They have heaps of textbook, unfortunately pretty much all of them are from excel.

My school doesn't make us buy textbooks (not that i know of), they lend out textbooks.

So i'm kind of worried of doubling up? But then i want to catch up this holiday! ==

HSC
beastindahouse said:
I just want to know about the books to buy in the holidays so i can get a head start to the HSC, like Excel and stuff lyk that.

I'm doing 3U Maths, 2U Adv Eng, Chem, Physics, Business Studies and Economics
Cambridge 3 unit maths, Jacaranda Physics, Chemistry Contexts. I don't know about the rest though...haven't started studying for Adv Eng.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
There isn't much need to get ahead for anything in the HSC. You might pick up on the course really quickly and find that it's really easy. I had bought all my excel study books already, basically when I chose my subjects... they are a good summarisation of everything but don't do too much in detail. They aren't exactly worth your money.... although they will come in handy for study, maybe...

-tal-

HSC
superelizabeth said:
Cambridge 3 unit maths, Jacaranda Physics, Chemistry Contexts. I don't know about the rest though...haven't started studying for Adv Eng.
This person has it about right. But Jacaranda Physics can get a little too long winded. I reckon Physcis Contexts is a better option (most school use Jacaranda anyway).

Also, 3U Fitzpatrick is pretty good too.

Hmm, while your at it, for HSC 3U I'd recommend the Terry Lee book.

DO NOT TOUCH EXCEL BOOKS (except for the Legal Studies one)

heart-station

HSC
N/A
-tal- said:
This person has it about right. But Jacaranda Physics can get a little too long winded. I reckon Physcis Contexts is a better option (most school use Jacaranda anyway).

Also, 3U Fitzpatrick is pretty good too.

Hmm, while your at it, for HSC 3U I'd recommend the Terry Lee book.

DO NOT TOUCH EXCEL BOOKS (except for the Legal Studies one)
So Fitzpatrick, cambridge and Terry lee for 2u & 3u maths? Are they good for people like me who are behind? i need books that are easy to learn the concepts from, since i only know yr 10 stuff. =_=

-tal-

HSC
heart-station said:
So Fitzpatrick, cambridge and Terry lee for 2u & 3u maths? Are they good for people like me who are behind? i need books that are easy to learn the concepts from, since i only know yr 10 stuff. =_=
Hmm, forgot about that part. For a textbook that's easy to grasp the concepts of, I'd try using something like the Jones and Couchman book. It just says 2 Unit maths on the cover. It's old and easy to learn from. Or, if you must, use Maths in Focus. It's an atrociously easy book, use it to grasp the basic idea, then after a few questions, use the harder books.

The cambridge, fitzpatrick and terry lee are all about the same difficulty.

Btw, I don't think Terry Lee has a 2u book.

heart-station

HSC
N/A
-tal- said:
Hmm, forgot about that part. For a textbook that's easy to grasp the concepts of, I'd try using something like the Jones and Couchman book. It just says 2 Unit maths on the cover. It's old and easy to learn from. Or, if you must, use Maths in Focus. It's an atrociously easy book, use it to grasp the basic idea, then after a few questions, use the harder books.

The cambridge, fitzpatrick and terry lee are all about the same difficulty.

Btw, I don't think Terry Lee has a 2u book.
Thanks for the info, really appreciate it! Does Jones and Couchman have a 3u book? I need an easy book for 3u too LOL.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Your not behind in your work because no one has started the work. Chill and enjoy the holidays. We have two years of study.

-tal-

HSC
heart-station said:
Thanks for the info, really appreciate it! Does Jones and Couchman have a 3u book? I need an easy book for 3u too LOL.
Yeah they do. BUT if you want to get 3u Jones & Couchman, there's 2 of them. Book 1 3u has heaps of 2u and I think 2/3 3u topics. Book 2 has all 3u.

Getting on top of calculus and trig would be your best options I think.

Just remember to take a 1/2 week break yeah? It's not on my ass if you end up burnt out before term 1...

xV1P3R

HSC
Our school uses Fitzpatrick Yellow [2unit] and Green [3 unit] for Maths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)