Chemistry Tuition!! (1 Viewer)

Lozt

Hi,

Are you doing HSC chemistry next year?

Are you interested in ACING chemistry, and being CONFIDENT that you'll do great in ur HSC?

Well, tuition's one of the BEST way of making sure u'll get there, and it's never too early to start!

I'm an experienced tutor for chemistry, currently tutoring 4 HSC students, and i have spare spaces for anyoneinterested in chemistry tuition next year.

I'm a medical student in UNSW (so yeah, u can ask me about the UNSW selection procedures, etc...).
My UAI was 99.95

I completed the HSC Chemistry in 2002, which means i did go through the NEW SYLLABUS, and know well what is required in that syllabus.
And don't worry, I have had a full year of tutoring 4 outstanding Yr 12 HSC Chemistry students, as well as various other students for other subjects and years.

In the tuition, I focus on making sure you know:
- EXACTLY what is required of you,
- what the syllabus dot point means, and
- HOW to answer it.
I make sure we go through ALL the dot-points covered in the syllabus, so you would be confident that you know EVERYTHING that u need to know for the exam!

Furthermore, there is also a big emphasis on:
- how to answer the questions,
- how to get the most marks in ur exams,
- what to include (and what not to include!),
- things to watch out for (!) and other important exam techniques.

Each lesson (one-on-one) involves going through a series of WORKSHEETS that i have prepared, which covers the syllabus thoroughly, as well as examples of questions that are often asked in the exam, so that by the end of the course, you would have very THOROUGH and COMPREHENSIVE notes on all the dotpoints and likely questions that you may get in the exams.

If you're interested in getting real CONFIDENT with your chemistry and the HSC,
plz gimme a shout! =)

Lawrence

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I think this may be better off in the Tuition section..just my opinion..

Lozt

G'day

it's $40 / hr, which is pretty cheap compared to other professional tutors out there.

If you want to check it out, i can give you 1st lessons for cheaper, just for u to see how it is, if u like it, if it's useful or not, etc.

But yeah, normally, $40 / hr.. for private one-on-one tuition ($35 / hr for 2 ppl), along with worksheets and complete sets of notes for the entire course.

wat do u reckon? =)

Lozt

G'day folks

soz u guys i haven't been checking the msgs very regularly
been pretty busy recently, especially with the HSC exams coming up... been tutoring 9-3 on the weekend, and only just finished (2 students) today.

I live in Strathfield, so yeah... hope it's close enuf for ya.
My HSC mark for Chemistry was 94
I got UAI of 99.95
wat else...

Oh rite, if ure interested in wat my notes are like, heres a little excerpt of an important part of the syllabus that is commonly examined (e.g. a must in trial papers):

2.5 Explain why the rate of reaction is increased by higher temperatures.

h As the temperature rises, more particles have enough energy to exceed the activation energy (the energy threshold required for reaction), resulting in more effective collisions resulting in a reaction between the molecules.

2.6 Explain why the yield of product in the Haber process is reduced at higher temperatures using Le Chateliers principle.

h The forward reaction is exothermic.
h Le Chatelier's principle indicates that an increase in temperature, will result in an equilibrium shift favouring the endothermic reaction (the reverse reaction), so as to use up some of the increased heat, thus counteracting the change in the system.
h Thus, providing more heat favours the decomposition of ammonia, reducing the yield of ammonia.

2.7 Explain why the Haber process is based on a delicate balancing act involving reaction energy, reaction rate and equilibrium.

h As the temperature is increased more energy is available to exceed the reaction activation energy - the rate of reaction increases, so equilibrium is reached more quickly.
h However increasing temperature favours the decomposition of the ammonia product (to achieve equilibrium).
h A compromise temperature providing a satisfactory reaction rate and satisfactory yield of ammonia is selected.

Notice how they address each point of the syllabus directly, ensuring that ud cover all the material that are examinable.
In addition, the dot points in my notes shows clearly what exactly you need to know and be able to reproduce in the exam.
The worksheets are different from these notes, in that they are usually worded in the form of questions (commonly asked in exams), giving u practice in answering questions and familiarity with exam questions, whilst covering all the material required.
In the tuition course, you will get the worksheets, notes, extra research material, extra questions (for more able students) as well as numerous past trial / hsc papers to develop your exam techniques.

However, these are not the main part of tuition. The best thing about private tuition, is that I'm here to answer all your questions, and to explain all the concepts to you, so that u understand it ALL very well, and are confident about the course and the exams, because that's the most important thing!

Oh, and iyamahobbit, feel free to ask me nething about medicine, how to get in, the umat (Ive got notes and practice questions for it), the interview process (Ive been to interviews for Newcastle, Monash, Adelaide, Perth and ofcourse UNSW), etc.

And kimmeh, uhh.. wats TCN?

Well, I hope that this answers the questions that you guys have. Feel free to ask me nemore!
Remember, this is all to help YOU get the best mark that you can for the HSC.
Best of luck! ;)

Lawrence

Lozt

G'day Ryan

thanks for the suggestion

yeah, i have thought of selling my notes...
tho, i thought ppl would get more out of it by actual tuition, and i'd b able to help them more.. but not just giving them notes, but explaining things, and teaching them far more than the content of the syllabus - how to answer questions, wat to look out for, wat is required, etc.
that's why i decided to do tuition, as well as giving notes.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
TCN is my tutoring place :p
plus my tutour works out to be $11 an hour :p
40 is expensive ! :p:p:p:D i had a one on one tutour for 40 for 2 hours... i thought that was kind of weird putting out on top of my tuition fees, another 40 for 2 hours only.....thats nearly a wholes days work for my parents.. lol all blown in 2 hours

Lozt

Well, i've got 4 year 12 students atm, and i've had them for the whole year now... and they seem to quite like it.
I recently asked one of them if it was worth it, and he said "well, that's why i keep coming!"

I know plenty of tutors who charge for more than $40... 3 of my friends charge ranging from $50 - $60.

I know $40 is not little... so yes, it is a serious consideration... and you should b serious if u want to come.
But you do pay for what you get... so if u're serious about it, if you are willing to put in what it takes (not just the money, but also the time and the attention), to get the best marks you can... then I can assure you that you will get what you want out of it.

If you want to just give it a try, to see what it's like, if it's really worth it, and to see if my students are right, then i'm willing to give 1st lessons at a cheaper rate.

=)

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
I recently asked one of them if it was worth it, and he said "well, that's why i keep coming!"
lolz :D

that sounds soOo.. i dunno

haha it cud be true ... :p:D

Lozt

yeah, well that's what he said, and... well, if u think about it... it sorta makes sense.
I mean, why would he be coming for 2 hrs every wk, for the whole year?
why has he (well, they...) been taking extra lessons these wks as the exam approaches? (and working my ass off, btw)

Furthermore, i actually got ALL of my students by recommendations. I started off with 1, and he recommended me to another, and him to another, etc.

I'm not trying to sound up myself or nething.. but well, just telling u the plain facts. This is a service, a source for you. - an opportunity to enrich ur marks.

I'll give you 1st lesson for $30... and i'm willing to do that, because i am CONFIDENT that it would be useful, and that you would be able to get stuff from it. It s there for you to take a look, to see if it's really worth it.

As you said, Ryan, what i've been saying the whole time COULD be true... but u dun know for sure, eh?
so how can u REALLY find out? If i was wrong, then u've lost the bit of time for the lesson... and... u wun even have to pay the full $30 (only pay the full $30 if u would want to come back again).
If, on the other hand, u do find that it's worth it.. that it does help, and is a valuable resource for you, to enable u to improve your HSC marks (and that's what i'm here to do), then well... it is up to you how u value that.

Wat do u reckon?

kow_dude

HSC
Originally posted by kimmeh
lol u go to TCN alredyy.. isnt that enough?
I dont go to chemistry tuition. I used to go to TCN for chemistry but i quited because i couldnt understand his notes. He kept on picking on me asking questions i dont even know what he's talking about... so eventually i got frustrated and jst stopped going there for chem.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
dont u go to tutour alreddy?
nop :D im too cool for tutoring (thats y i get owned in exams hahaha)
tho i will start soon

wheres tcn?

Lozt

in reply to kimmeh, yeah... i know i sound confident
I should be confident, shouldn't i...
becoz.. well, if i'm not confident, then how can YOU have confidence in me??
I AM confident bcoz i've tutored several students for a while now, i've seen the results, got positive feedback from them, and they continue to come and even ask for more lessons!

It is becoz of them, that I have my confidence, and that is important, bcoz the whole focus is well, on the students!

You're right, Kow_dude (soz, wat's ur name?), coz there is no point in going to tuition if u dun get the notes, if u dun learn from it, and if it just makes u frustrated. That is NOT the point of tuition at all...
tuition is meant to b for YOU specifically.. to deal with YOUR needs... to make sure YOU understand the material and what you need to know. There is no other reason for tuition.
That is also the point of having 1-1 tuition...

Well, i do hope that you do find a good tutor, so that you WILL get stuff out of it, and that you can get the best results for you for chemistry.

I am willing to give you a try if you wanna see if i can do any better... be of betta help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)