What textbooks/study guides are you getting for yr 12? (1 Viewer)

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
For chemistry, you'd be better to wait and see what text books your teacher gives you. Most likely they will use Conquering Chemistry.

For Chemistry, l bought another set of text books and a surfing book. the surfing book l haven't got anymore, but it was for Chemical Monitoring and Management.

The textbooks were ' Chemistry Pathways' by Macmillan. They have two book for both Prelim and HSC.

Could l advise that you don't buy the excel book for chemistry, l have been told and heard that it is too vauge and does'nt have enough information.

Giant Lobster

HSC
Ask ur teachers on advice on what books are good. For phys, jacaranda seems to be the best out there, and for chem, in my opinion conquering chemistry is good.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
for phys im buying jacaranda + the studymate or wutever its called series

chem im getting pathways

maths - not sure yet..

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Pathways is GOOD! Its thicker than conq chem and in my opinion its better.

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
Everyone seems to get Excel. Do CC and Pathways have each syllabus point related to the material?
For preliminary Excel seemed alright for Chem and Physics though the Biology study guide was too brief and boring (maybe just the prelim course content)
For Maths is Accelerated Maths Learning's 'Understanding Maths 2/3 unit' better than excel??????

Last edited:

KarmaKitten

HSC
I have only bought an excel legal studies so far.. hmm.. so i cant help you and i forgot what my advanced english textbook was called...

im so usefull

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I just said before that l was advised not to get excel by my tutor and by people on this board. It doens't give enough information or something...

My teacher told me not to use pathways because its not this years syllabus, but l just go through the parts we have done in class in conq chem in my pathways textbook.

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
All study guides, have positives and negatives (including excel), i would just have a look before you buy, and choose the best that you think will suit your needs, and by how much it can help you, oh yeah and has a good content

EDIT: hmmmm i think that makes sense, re-arrange words if needed...

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
CC have this site u refer to to which dot point is which section :)
http://www.cci.net.au/conqchem/HSCsylCharts.htm

um jacaranda is good for physics :) i'm buying spotlight off rahul :) .. but yeah.. its good to have your own textbook at home, the one the schoool gives you PLUS an excel book for summaries and night before reading :)

3 unit masth i reccemend cambridge and fitzpartick :)

biology i have Biology In Context - the spectrum of life
i think thats the only good one.. there arent many good biology book on the market....

i dont think our adv. englihs textbooks will be out just yet..

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
Are there any websites that review hsc textbooks??????
If so what are the urls????
Kimmeh what is a good bio textbook that is exclusively for HSC as I've already got excel preliminary. Do you think its worthwhile getting context seeing as I found yr 11 biology painful????

Last edited:

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by Zarathustra
Are there any websites that review hsc textbooks??????
If so what are the urls????
Kimmeh what is a good bio textbook that is exclusively for HSC as I've already got excel preliminary. Do you think its worthwhile getting context seeing as I found yr 11 biology painful????
umm heinneman and biology incontext are textbooks that have both HSC and Prelim stuff in there.. the other text book of bio i know of is spotlight... and thats crap as.. though its 2 seperate books.. umm ..if u found year 11 biology painful..
1. did u study?
2. did u like it?
3. why didnt you drop it?
4. are u going to take it seriuosly now?
5. the hsc topic are WAY MORE interesting :)

i think what u buy for ur studies is worth while :) yeah.. i think u should get biology in context one.. each section tells you what dot point it is answering... its a bit expensive.. [like $80] but i really like it :) i take it to school everyday i have bio.. even though it makes my bag a million time heavier :)

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
Thanks Kimmeh and Tenille

1.&2. I studied for the half-yearly then my studying diminished in proprtion to my interest; for 'a local ecology" I didn't study at all nor did I study for 'Evolution of Australian biota," the other modules I liked, so I studied them. "Patterns in Nature" and "Life on Earth" were enjoyable.

3. I was going to drop biology until I had a look at the HSC syllabus and thought how interesting it would be, especially in comparison to yr11. I thought that if I put up with such a boring 3 terms of work I should do HSC biology. A lot of people want to do HSC bio but can't because they didn't do the preliminary course. I feel its like I've paid for this course or sumfin'

4. Biology will be my 12th and 13th units (as I was planning to drop it) but I will still take it seriously (get textbooks, study etc.) The candidature in biology is of a lot lower quality than physics and chem so I don't know if I'll go as well as in those subjects.

5. I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the help:read:

Last edited:

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
lol kewlies !
we can study together :p ahahhaa

yeah patterns in nature was thr best.. everything else was shit boring..
hmm drop a sub then? 13 units is quite alot.. i'm sticking with 12 to be safe.. i mean.. who wouldnt keep all three sciences??? :D:D:D:p

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
If I drop I'll have to give up etension-1 maths or physics because I enjoy (and am going well at) chem and eco and I can't drop English, so what would you do???????.....eh.....
=< confrontaional look
.......eh..........
Yes I am a science phreek

Last edited:

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
its good being a scienc freak ! :D:D:D:D:D the labs become your home in the school !

isnt battle royale that grusome movie made by the japs ? :rolleyes: typical jap movies..over done but good :)

i'd prob drop physics if i were u.. sound slike u really like eco :)

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
If I drop physics then I won't have 6 units of science, this is bad because:-
1. I find all of the sciences interesting
2. They complement one another
3. Physics is the 'FOUNDATIONAL SCIENCE"
4. I want to improve my prac mark, the more sciences done the more time doing experiments learning the names of arcane equipment etc.
Question-IS 13 UNITS REALLY TOO MANY???????????????:D :rolleyes:

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Do how ever many that you think that you are capable of doing, and if you are finding it to hard you can always drop down to 11 or whatever you wish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)