Robert Frost's "the road not taken" HELP (1 Viewer)

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
This is what i've done so far. I'm supposed to have 200 words, but i'm a little under. I'm not sure how good this is, and i would appreciate if somebody tell me how this could be improved. I want to pull my marks up because my average is 8/15 and it means I am almost failing english.

Any help is much appreciated =D

Analysis of “The Road Not Taken” Question- Analyse how language forms and features of written texts in one poem studyed in calss are used to develop the concept of journeys.

Paths presented to us in our life journey are merely determined by an inseparable accretion of probability and choice, for which the reverberations are indefinite and irreversible until it has been experienced. In the third stanza of Frost’s “The Road Not Taken” (TRNT), the paths are described as “both that morning equally lay in leaves no step had trodden”. The roads are equally traveled by, and are identical, symbolizing unknown consequences of decisions at identical forks in our life journey. These identical forks signify our freedom to choose, although, with ignorance of the possible ramifications of those choices. TRNT also reflects the diffidence and strain of remorse present in the mind when making an uncertain choice which cannot be reversed. Polysyndeton is used, mainly in the first stanza with the repetition of ‘and’ in, “And sorry…And be… And looked…”. This creates a stream of consciousness effect, where there is no definitive basis for decision-making, forcing the speaker to second-guess himself. This uncertainty therefore shows the speakers freedom of choice while he is burdened by being unaware of the irreversible repercussions of his decisions.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Erm - I found it a little difficult to understand (my English isn't great). If that's the standard of English you usually write with, I don't see why you're getting 8/15. On the other hand, if you're just using a thesaurus to make yourself sound more sophisticated than you really are....

me121

Premium Member
HSC
foram said:
Analyse how language forms and features of written texts in one poem studyed in calss are used to develop the concept of journeys.
You need to take a very close look at the question. Analyse each part.

• How (such as what techniques are used, and what affect does the use of these have)
  • language forms & features (techniques, context, form, register (which is the language used, slang? colloquial?, etc..))
  • written text (what are the features of written text)
  • concept of journeys (what is Frost trying to say about journeys. is it that they will have tough decisions, or that they will be worth it at the end, or we can learn from them, etc..)

HSC
Avoid abbreviations (i.e. always write "The Road Not Taken" not TRNT) as English markers hate it.

Look into the first and last stanzas as well they give you a better idea of what the poem is really about and what Frost is saying about journeys

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
thanks for the advice guys. now i think i'm not going to get a D or a C for english! proberbly a B or maybe even an A! XDXD

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
foram said:
Paths presented to us in our life journey are merely determined by an inseparable accretion of probability and choice, for which the reverberations are indefinite and irreversible until it has been experienced. .
thats pretty much a band 6 line, i am studying this/have studied it.
I actually have my half yearly in two days, and need to hit up some study on it.

But thats quite good, 9/10

me121

Premium Member
HSC
risole91 said:
foram said:
Paths presented to us in our life journey are merely determined by an inseparable accretion of probability and choice, for which the reverberations are indefinite and irreversible until it has been experienced. .
thats pretty much a band 6 line, i am studying this/have studied it.
I actually have my half yearly in two days, and need to hit up some study on it.

But thats quite good, 9/10
I have no idea what the hell it means... lol.

bored of sc

HSC
The best advice my teacher gave me in expression in english - was keep it simple but add sophisticated language!!! Make the sentences clearer in their expression but keep the extensive vocabulary!

Simple = good, less is more!

Just keep up your eloquent level of vocabulary!

Take this advice or leave it!

But it worked for me!!!!!!! :)

Your teacher must be a really hard marker!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
me121 said:
I have no idea what the hell it means... lol.
i think it's a fancy way of saying that choice and probability both play a point in paths presented to us, and once you choose one the effects are irreversible. however i thought the word accretion meant acculumation, so 'inseparable accumulation of probability/choice'? that sentence doesn't make much sense to me, but i could be wrong about the word meaning. in other words i have no idea either lol.

Simple = good, less is more!
Yeah, my teacher says that too. Don't waffle on using complicated language, it's better to get straight to the point using simple but intelligent language...

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
No offense, I reckon you just wrote what you did - but went overboard with a thesaurus to make it sound 'sophisticated'. Unfortunately, in assessment tasks - you won't be able to pull out the same standard of writing.

Last edited:

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
8/15 is about average in my class. Thats a C average. Actually, thats below the state average...

It's a bit weird, i got 94 in the SC last year, (I know, the SC is worth less than the piece of paper it's printed on) and i got put into the lower class, even though i had beaten some of the people in the upper classes. Then i started to get about 50% in english, where as, last year i had 12 or 13 out of 15 consistantly.

I think they may have pushed the standards up too much, so everybody is failing, although some weird girls have been getting full marks. They must have bribed the teachers or something.

In assessments i just memorise the essay, or whatever, and i change the topic sentences around to mold my essay to question, so i would assume it's about the same quality as my poem analysis, but i havn't had one since last year, so i'm not sure how hard they mark assessments now...

English is so abiguous, i wish i knew when i had something right. In math, I know when i'm right. But with english, i'm just hoping that what i think is a 15/15 is actualy over 8/15.

*Tearing hair out in fustration*

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
foram said:
I think they may have pushed the standards up too much, so everybody is failing, although some weird girls have been getting full marks. They must have bribed the teachers or something.
So people getting good marks means that they bribed the teacher? :rolleyes:

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
obviously. Theres no correct answer in english. How did they get full marks if there isn't a correct answer? Clearly by bribing the teachers.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Without Wings said:
By producing a response which meets the specified standards of performance
The specified standards are completely ambiguous. I do my assignment based on the marking criteria, and i'm absolutly sure mine pwns everybody elses, and then, when i get my mark back, it turnes out i'm pwned by half the grade. I wish the teachers would just tell us how to "make it flow" instead of just saying obscure things when i ask them about it. They mentioned reading a lot and getting the feel of it, but i have read a lot, and the only thing i can do is perhaps add a bit of assonance to my writing, but that's pretty difficult to maintain, so i'm a lost cause in english. :(

ccc123

HSC
foram said:
Paths presented to us in our life journey are merely determined by an inseparable accretion of probability and choice, for which the reverberations are indefinite and irreversible until it has been experienced.

I understand what is being said here but i feel if you used that as an opening sentence in an exam, you would be accused of 'overwriting.' I would recommend revising this sentence and ask yourself: 'what am I really saying?'. For example, your use of 'reverberations' is probably not the word you're looking for. Personally, I would omit the 'merely' as well.

foram said:
In the third stanza of Frost’s “The Road Not Taken” (TRNT), the paths are described as “both that morning equally lay in leaves no step had trodden”. The roads are equally traveled by, and are identical, symbolizing unknown consequences of decisions at identical forks in our life journey. These identical forks signify our freedom to choose, although, with ignorance of the possible ramifications of those choices.

Condense this. Do you really need to say 'the roads are equally travelled by' when the quote has effectively said that for you? Maybe after that opening sentence just say something like:

'These diverging roads symbolise the endless possiblities the journey proffers....'

The reason I say 'diverging' rather than 'identical' is because i think your use of this word implies the roads are the same.

foram said:
TRNT also reflects the diffidence and strain of remorse present in the mind when making an uncertain choice which cannot be reversed.

Is remorse the word you're looking for? Or are you trying to say TRNT reflects how deciding on a direction can be difficult?

foram said:
Polysyndeton is used, mainly in the first stanza with the repetition of ‘and’ in, “And sorry…And be… And looked…”. This creates a stream of consciousness effect, where there is no definitive basis for decision-making, forcing the speaker to second-guess himself. This uncertainty therefore shows the speakers freedom of choice while he is burdened by being unaware of the irreversible repercussions of his decisions.
You seem to be a bit contradictory here. Are the multiple possiblities posed by the journey a positive thing or a burden? If you think they are both, you need to make it clear that you are aware of this paradox.

And are the repercussions of journeys 'irreversible'? Isn't this undermining the sheer complexity of the journeying process? To say that they are irreversble in a sense contradicts the notion that there is
'freedom of choice', for shouldn't the journeyer have the choice to go back and change direction? You also said earlier on that "reverberations are indefinite and irreversible until it has been experienced" which directly contradicts this final statement. Clarify your stance on this.

Overall:

*Substantial line of discussion.

*You need to watch your expression, because I think your language is impeding your meaning. Ensure that the words you select are what you actually mean to say, or the fluency of your argument is lost. Examiners are looking for sophisticated ideas expressed CLEARLY and SUCCINCTLY, not an incoherent vomit of beautiful words.

*Since the Q specified 'how', maybe more thorough discussion of techniques would also be advantageous.

foram said:
The specified standards are completely ambiguous. I do my assignment based on the marking criteria, and i'm absolutly sure mine pwns everybody elses, and then, when i get my mark back, it turnes out i'm pwned by half the grade. I wish the teachers would just tell us how to "make it flow" instead of just saying obscure things when i ask them about it. They mentioned reading a lot and getting the feel of it, but i have read a lot, and the only thing i can do is perhaps add a bit of assonance to my writing, but that's pretty difficult to maintain, so i'm a lost cause in english. :(
Don't use assonance for god sake. That's not what they mean my making it flow. What they mean is ensure your argument is expressed clearly, fluently and succinctly.

Last edited by a moderator:

dpospination

HSC
he wants to travel on both roads, but he cant, (showing that our decisions have actions, one decison, leads on to another, etc), also, that he wishes to enjoy all oppurtunities in his life. but, he breathes a sigh of relief when he goes at the end, i shall be telling this with a sigh... i took the road less travelled by and that has made all the dfference. thus, the fact that he has been able to make his own decisions in life, be a leader, create his own way by not conforming to society and others shows that he has developed individualism...

mad80boy

HSC
The Road Not Taken conveys the many choices and possibilites on will face in their lifetime. For example when he comes to the diverged roads in "the yellow wood" is symbolic of the many choices we have to make. The protagonist also know he will not be returning as "way lead onto way" which signifys that with every subsequent journey he makes will lead on to new choices and possibilites which will inevitably lead onto something new.

TurkStyle

HSC
i havnt written 1 essay yet in english i think my school is useless and behind in every topic. i just try do some excel stuff and getting a tutor soon to mark stuff i write and develop me. Maybe you should get a tutor to

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you have not written an essay so far this year - you're school is seriously screwed (well, English department anyway). :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)