Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robert Frost's "the road not taken" HELP

HSC

Robert Frost's "the road not taken" HELP

This is what i've done so far. I'm supposed to have 200 words, but i'm a little under. I'm not sure how good this is, and i would appreciate if somebody tell me how this could be improved. I want to pull my marks up because my average is 8/15 and it means I am almost failing english.

Any help is much appreciated =D

Analysis of “The Road Not Taken” Question- Analyse how language forms and features of written texts in one poem studyed in calss are used to develop the concept of journeys.

Paths presented to us in our life journey are merely determined by an inseparable accretion of probability and choice, for which the reverberations are indefinite and irreversible until it has been experienced. In the third stanza of Frost’s “The Road Not Taken” (TRNT), the paths are described as “both that morning equally lay in leaves no step had trodden”. The roads are equally traveled by, and are identical, symbolizing unknown consequences of decisions at identical forks in our life journey. These identical forks signify our freedom to choose, although, with ignorance of the possible ramifications of those choices. TRNT also reflects the diffidence and strain of remorse present in the mind when making an uncertain choice which cannot be reversed. Polysyndeton is used, mainly in the first stanza with the repetition of ‘and’ in, “And sorry…And be… And looked…”. This creates a stream of consciousness effect, where there is no definitive basis for decision-making, forcing the speaker to second-guess himself. This uncertainty therefore shows the speakers freedom of choice while he is burdened by being unaware of the irreversible repercussions of his decisions.
    Last edited by foram; 31 Mar 2008 at 5:36 PM.

HSC
    N/A

Re: Robert Frost's "the road not taken" HELP

Erm - I found it a little difficult to understand (my English isn't great). If that's the standard of English you usually write with, I don't see why you're getting 8/15. On the other hand, if you're just using a thesaurus to make yourself sound more sophisticated than you really are....

HSC

The roads are equally traveled by, and are identical, symbolizing unknown consequences of decisions at identical forks in our life journey.
    i would interpret that line to mean that he is unsure of which road to travel because both are equal....your link is a bit unclear, make it simpler. the best essays get across their ideas without fluffing around

because you have to relate this to journeys, you should probably say something about:

(a) Choices on journeys have consequences
    (b) Fate sometimes chooses for us
    (c) Sometimes the choices and the journey are more important than the decisions

here's an essay on road not taken that was given a 15/20....pretty poor but the ideas are fine (according to teacher)

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by foram
    Analyse how language forms and features of written texts in one poem studyed in calss are used to develop the concept of journeys.
    You need to take a very close look at the question. Analyse each part.

• How (such as what techniques are used, and what affect does the use of these have)
    • language forms & features (techniques, context, form, register (which is the language used, slang? colloquial?, etc..))
    • written text (what are the features of written text)
    • concept of journeys (what is Frost trying to say about journeys. is it that they will have tough decisions, or that they will be worth it at the end, or we can learn from them, etc..)

=)
    HSC

Avoid abbreviations (i.e. always write "The Road Not Taken" not TRNT) as English markers hate it.

Look into the first and last stanzas as well they give you a better idea of what the poem is really about and what Frost is saying about journeys

HSC

thanks for the advice guys. now i think i'm not going to get a D or a C for english! proberbly a B or maybe even an A! XDXD

HSC

Paths presented to us in our life journey are merely determined by an inseparable accretion of probability and choice, for which the reverberations are indefinite and irreversible until it has been experienced. .
    thats pretty much a band 6 line, i am studying this/have studied it.
    I actually have my half yearly in two days, and need to hit up some study on it.

But thats quite good, 9/10
    I Don't Need Alot
    I'm A Simple Man
    A Simple Man
    All I Am Is What You See

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by risole91
    Paths presented to us in our life journey are merely determined by an inseparable accretion of probability and choice, for which the reverberations are indefinite and irreversible until it has been experienced. .
    thats pretty much a band 6 line, i am studying this/have studied it.
    I actually have my half yearly in two days, and need to hit up some study on it.

But thats quite good, 9/10
    I have no idea what the hell it means... lol.

HSC
    The best advice my teacher gave me in expression in english - was keep it simple but add sophisticated language!!! Make the sentences clearer in their expression but keep the extensive vocabulary!

Simple = good, less is more!

Just keep up your eloquent level of vocabulary!

Take this advice or leave it!

But it worked for me!!!!!!!

Your teacher must be a really hard marker!!!!
    Last edited by Without Wings; 31 Mar 2008 at 11:29 PM. Reason: merge

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by me121
    I have no idea what the hell it means... lol.
    i think it's a fancy way of saying that choice and probability both play a point in paths presented to us, and once you choose one the effects are irreversible. however i thought the word accretion meant acculumation, so 'inseparable accumulation of probability/choice'? that sentence doesn't make much sense to me, but i could be wrong about the word meaning. in other words i have no idea either lol.

Simple = good, less is more!
    Yeah, my teacher says that too. Don't waffle on using complicated language, it's better to get straight to the point using simple but intelligent language...
    Last edited by russianROULETTE; 1 Apr 2008 at 1:22 PM.

HSC
    N/A

No offense, I reckon you just wrote what you did - but went overboard with a thesaurus to make it sound 'sophisticated'. Unfortunately, in assessment tasks - you won't be able to pull out the same standard of writing.
    Last edited by Aerath; 1 Apr 2008 at 5:59 PM.

HSC

8/15 is about average in my class. Thats a C average. Actually, thats below the state average...

It's a bit weird, i got 94 in the SC last year, (I know, the SC is worth less than the piece of paper it's printed on) and i got put into the lower class, even though i had beaten some of the people in the upper classes. Then i started to get about 50% in english, where as, last year i had 12 or 13 out of 15 consistantly.

I think they may have pushed the standards up too much, so everybody is failing, although some weird girls have been getting full marks. They must have bribed the teachers or something.

In assessments i just memorise the essay, or whatever, and i change the topic sentences around to mold my essay to question, so i would assume it's about the same quality as my poem analysis, but i havn't had one since last year, so i'm not sure how hard they mark assessments now...

English is so abiguous, i wish i knew when i had something right. In math, I know when i'm right. But with english, i'm just hoping that what i think is a 15/15 is actualy over 8/15.

*Tearing hair out in fustration*

HSC
    N/A

I think they may have pushed the standards up too much, so everybody is failing, although some weird girls have been getting full marks. They must have bribed the teachers or something.
    So people getting good marks means that they bribed the teacher?

HSC

obviously. Theres no correct answer in english. How did they get full marks if there isn't a correct answer? Clearly by bribing the teachers.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Without Wings
    By producing a response which meets the specified standards of performance
    The specified standards are completely ambiguous. I do my assignment based on the marking criteria, and i'm absolutly sure mine pwns everybody elses, and then, when i get my mark back, it turnes out i'm pwned by half the grade. I wish the teachers would just tell us how to "make it flow" instead of just saying obscure things when i ask them about it. They mentioned reading a lot and getting the feel of it, but i have read a lot, and the only thing i can do is perhaps add a bit of assonance to my writing, but that's pretty difficult to maintain, so i'm a lost cause in english.

HSC

for which the reverberations are indefinite and irreversible until it has been experienced
    sounds fancy, good for impressing people, but doesn't this mean that changes are 'reversible' once they're experienced. how does that make sense? maybe i'm just really bad at reading properly.....but lol yeah its a pretty sophisticated line

HSC
    Paths presented to us in our life journey are merely determined by an inseparable accretion of probability and choice, for which the reverberations are indefinite and irreversible until it has been experienced.

I understand what is being said here but i feel if you used that as an opening sentence in an exam, you would be accused of 'overwriting.' I would recommend revising this sentence and ask yourself: 'what am I really saying?'. For example, your use of 'reverberations' is probably not the word you're looking for. Personally, I would omit the 'merely' as well.

In the third stanza of Frost’s “The Road Not Taken” (TRNT), the paths are described as “both that morning equally lay in leaves no step had trodden”. The roads are equally traveled by, and are identical, symbolizing unknown consequences of decisions at identical forks in our life journey. These identical forks signify our freedom to choose, although, with ignorance of the possible ramifications of those choices.

Condense this. Do you really need to say 'the roads are equally travelled by' when the quote has effectively said that for you? Maybe after that opening sentence just say something like:

'These diverging roads symbolise the endless possiblities the journey proffers....'

The reason I say 'diverging' rather than 'identical' is because i think your use of this word implies the roads are the same.

TRNT also reflects the diffidence and strain of remorse present in the mind when making an uncertain choice which cannot be reversed.

Is remorse the word you're looking for? Or are you trying to say TRNT reflects how deciding on a direction can be difficult?

Polysyndeton is used, mainly in the first stanza with the repetition of ‘and’ in, “And sorry…And be… And looked…”. This creates a stream of consciousness effect, where there is no definitive basis for decision-making, forcing the speaker to second-guess himself. This uncertainty therefore shows the speakers freedom of choice while he is burdened by being unaware of the irreversible repercussions of his decisions.
    You seem to be a bit contradictory here. Are the multiple possiblities posed by the journey a positive thing or a burden? If you think they are both, you need to make it clear that you are aware of this paradox.

And are the repercussions of journeys 'irreversible'? Isn't this undermining the sheer complexity of the journeying process? To say that they are irreversble in a sense contradicts the notion that there is
    'freedom of choice', for shouldn't the journeyer have the choice to go back and change direction? You also said earlier on that "reverberations are indefinite and irreversible until it has been experienced" which directly contradicts this final statement. Clarify your stance on this.

Overall:

*Substantial line of discussion.

*You need to watch your expression, because I think your language is impeding your meaning. Ensure that the words you select are what you actually mean to say, or the fluency of your argument is lost. Examiners are looking for sophisticated ideas expressed CLEARLY and SUCCINCTLY, not an incoherent vomit of beautiful words.

*Since the Q specified 'how', maybe more thorough discussion of techniques would also be advantageous.

The specified standards are completely ambiguous. I do my assignment based on the marking criteria, and i'm absolutly sure mine pwns everybody elses, and then, when i get my mark back, it turnes out i'm pwned by half the grade. I wish the teachers would just tell us how to "make it flow" instead of just saying obscure things when i ask them about it. They mentioned reading a lot and getting the feel of it, but i have read a lot, and the only thing i can do is perhaps add a bit of assonance to my writing, but that's pretty difficult to maintain, so i'm a lost cause in english.
    Don't use assonance for god sake. That's not what they mean my making it flow. What they mean is ensure your argument is expressed clearly, fluently and succinctly.
    Last edited by Without Wings; 2 Apr 2008 at 5:20 PM. Reason: merge
    2008 HSC- ENGLISH ADV, ENGLISH EXT. 1, GENERAL MATHS, MODERN HISTORY, LEGAL STUDIES, PDHPE.

UAI AIM: 90^

UAI 2008---- 99.65

HSC

This is my favourite poem.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood..
    Quote Originally Posted by roar84eighty View Post
    HSC: this aint some pop quiz this is srs fkn business

Quote Originally Posted by sinophile View Post
    i wish a girl would jack me off

HSC

he wants to travel on both roads, but he cant, (showing that our decisions have actions, one decison, leads on to another, etc), also, that he wishes to enjoy all oppurtunities in his life. but, he breathes a sigh of relief when he goes at the end, i shall be telling this with a sigh... i took the road less travelled by and that has made all the dfference. thus, the fact that he has been able to make his own decisions in life, be a leader, create his own way by not conforming to society and others shows that he has developed individualism...
    "Aim at the sun and you may not reach it; but your arrow will fly far higher than if aimed at an object on a level with yourself..." (J. Hawkes)

HSC

The Road Not Taken conveys the many choices and possibilites on will face in their lifetime. For example when he comes to the diverged roads in "the yellow wood" is symbolic of the many choices we have to make. The protagonist also know he will not be returning as "way lead onto way" which signifys that with every subsequent journey he makes will lead on to new choices and possibilites which will inevitably lead onto something new.

HSC

i havnt written 1 essay yet in english i think my school is useless and behind in every topic. i just try do some excel stuff and getting a tutor soon to mark stuff i write and develop me. Maybe you should get a tutor to
    B.Com Usyd

HSC
    N/A

If you have not written an essay so far this year - you're school is seriously screwed (well, English department anyway). :S

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Aerath
    If you have not written an essay so far this year - you're school is seriously screwed (well, English department anyway). :S
    i've only written one in advanced english at my school - that was for an assessment

HSC
    hey im doing the same thing for my assignment , on language forms and features, ive did a little bit hopefully it'll help you

Techniques in The Road Not Taken play a very crucial role in the understanding of this poem and to illustrate meaning. Frost in this poem uses a variety of techniques to make meaning.
    As in most of his poems Frost uses a metaphor from nature to illustrate his themes. He likens the journey of life to a walk in the woods. The traveler comes to a point where “Two roads diverged.” He must make a choice as to which road to follow. This of course is symbolic of the choices we must make in life. It is also showing us that life is like the woods, as you could not predict what will happen in the future. Frost successfully engages the reader with his metaphor of life. Symbolism is also another technique used in this poem for instance when he states “And both that morning equally lay”, mornings can be seen as the symbol for new beginnings, when the choice is made.
    Frost also uses rhyme in this poem for each stanza for example in the first stanza “Wood” and “Stood” or “Both” and “Could”. The effect of this is to adjoin an unusual rhythm in the poem, which will engage the reader.

so ye havent yet finished...

goodluck

hey

as im doing an assignment for this poem, it asks me

"How has the composer of the text organized her/his ideas about change and changing perspectives?"

i dont understand what they are asking...if anyone can help me

thanks
    Last edited by Without Wings; 5 Apr 2008 at 4:43 PM. Reason: merge

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by sannous1
    hey

as im doing an assignment for this poem, it asks me

"How has the composer of the text organized her/his ideas about change and changing perspectives?"

i dont understand what they are asking...if anyone can help me

thanks
    how = techniques

so what techniques has the wirter used in the text to organise his or her notions about change/changing perspectives?

usually the writer has written in first, second or third person narration

the language can be didactic (instructional), persuasive, descriptive, factual, formal, informal etc and use slang, colloquialisms, jargon etc

there could be metaphors, similies, etc...

try to find techniques that are out of the ordinary

to do this, use the English techniques thread to help you with the different techniques

if you need to know what a particular technique means just send me a PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information